1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting a managed AP to a managed switch?

Discussion in 'Virgin Media Broadband' started by PerfectBlue97, Feb 12, 2012.

1. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I'm currently connecting a managed wireless AP directly to my cable connection, and then connecting an unmanaged hub to the AP.

The AP handles its own DHCP, and it also handles the DHCP for the devices connected to the unmanaged hub.

Unfortunately, the LAN ports on the AP are only 10\100. And my unmanaged hub is down to its last couple of free ports.

I'd like to upgrade my wired network to gigabit. This means connecting a gigabit switch to my cable connection, and then connecting the AP to the gigabit switch to handle the wireless (If I do it the other way around everything will go through the 10\100 port on the AP).

This means connecting one fully managed device to another fully managed device.

Hypothetically they should be able to coexist. I know that with industry level equipment they should talk to each other during the discovery phase to ensure that they don't assign the same IP addresses to different devices.

If I use consumer level equipment from different manufacturers, will I likely have problems?

At present some of my equipment have fixed IPs and I don't want to have to go around changing everything.
  2. rio911

rio911 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi PerfectBlue97,

Can you please explain a little bit more about your problem, because I'm confused.

And I'll let you know why: you are posting in the VM section. As cable internet provider, there is no way that you can change the wireless router that they provide. And by the way if you are using the SuperHub it provides AFAIK 4 gigabit LAN ports. So all devices connected to the SuperHub, depending on their capability, will have gigabit connection....

So, please correct me if I got this wrong and give us more details about your problem?

rio
  3. PerfectBlue97

PerfectBlue97 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello

I'm with Virgin Media, but I don't use their wireless router. I subscribed before they were available, and they wanted extra to upgrade when they became available. So I brought my own and connected it to the wired router that they provided.

I have an unmanaged hub, connecting to managed AP, which is connected to the Virgin wired router. The AP manages DHCP.

I want to know what will happen if I have two consumer level managed devices daisy chained together.

Will their DHCPs discover each other and co-exist, or will they fight with each other?
  4. rio911

rio911 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Two things to consider:

First, why do you want two managed devices? I recently bought a simple gigabit unmanaged switch (link), just plug in your gigabit devices and let your existing AP manage the network through DHCP.

Second, if you still want the two DHCP capable devices, why not switch one DHCP off? And let the other one handle your network?

But to answer your question: you do not want to have two DHCP devices giving out IP addresses on your network. :nono:

rio