1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connecting 5.1 Surround Sound to my PC

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by atothej, Oct 6, 2007.

1. atothej

atothej Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi All -

I have been trying to connect my cheapo Acoustic Solutions 5.1 surround sound speakers to my PC today, but am a bit confused as to how to set up the wires.

Anyway, my motherboard supports the use of 5.1 through the regular 3 audio jacks (blue, green and pink).

The problem I have is that there are 6 inputs into the woofer (front right, front left, surround right, surround left, sub-woofer & centre)

The wires that are included in the box are 2 sets of red/white double jacks, and a black/white double jack (sorry don't know the correct term)

So, how do these wires fit together? Will I need to go out and buy something to join the red/white jacks into one connector to fit into my adio input on my PC?

Any advice greatly appreciated....
  2. recruit

recruit Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    moved to the cable forum.
  3. Praxidike

Praxidike New Member

Ratings:
    +121
    If I read you correctly, you need

3 of these:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=31700&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=3.5MM PHONO&doy=6m10
    Plug them into your PC (3.5mm end), so you end up giving six outputs from your PC...

and 3 of these:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1017&criteria=phono&doy=6m10
    To connect the 6 outputs to your 6 inputs.

I bet you can get the first set cheaper though, maybe even on the Maplin site, I just went for the first one I found.

EDIT: actually, you probably don't need the second item, just plug straight into your woofer.
  4. atothej

atothej Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Your absolutely right Praxidike - I think they will do the job. I initially thought I would need something more like http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29192&&source=14&doy=6m10

..but but your right in the fact that the outputs on my PC are jacks, not phonos!

Would these prevent me from achieving surround sound though? I'lll have a look around for cheaper prices, but I'm happy to know that I should be able to get it working - thanks a lot for you help and I will let you know if they work:thumbsup:
  5. Praxidike

Praxidike New Member

Ratings:
    +121
    It won't prevent you from having surround sound - the cables will take the 3.5mm output (which is in stereo), and split it, producing either output, which you'll just need to shove straight into the woofer, it'll give you all six outputs, you'll just need to make sure the rear left doesn't go to the rear right, if it does, obviously just swap those two inputs over, and the same for the fronts and centre/sub channels.