Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connect Xbox(original) to PC monitor

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by oldsparky, Mar 11, 2009.

1. oldsparky

oldsparky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Newbie, so bare with me.
    How can i connect my Xbox to my PC/monitor.
    There are no connection on my monitor other than the power cord.
    I assume it has to connect through the PC somehow?
    My monitor is a Xerox XA7-17i Model No700P.
    Help greatly appreciated.
    Regards.
  2. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor Active Member

Ratings:
    +696
    Your PC must be connecting to it somehow.

As well as the power lead there will be either a DVI or VGA cable, check and see which you have there.
  3. oldsparky

oldsparky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark.
    Yes it is connected to the PC, but the cable that goes to the monitor just disappears behind the casing of the monitor,no external connection.
    Anyway around this? http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=MOX-XA7172I&af=50
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  4. museumsteve

museumsteve Active Member

Ratings:
    +743
    Only really 2 ways to connect an Xbox to a PC monitor. One is a cheap and nasty VGA convertor that converts a composite/s-video signal to VGA or have the machine modded and run it in NTSC mode and use something like an X2VGA which will give you a nice resolution ;)
  5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor Active Member

Ratings:
    +696
    Hmm... well it seems you have an unusual monitor by current standards.

Xerox have fitted it with a captive DVI-I cable and provided a VGA->DVI adapter in case you need to use a VGA output.

Sadly there are no good answers for you here as you have no alternative connections on the monitor to use to connect the Xbox so even if you do manage to get a VGA output from the Xbox (which isn't all that easy on the original Xbox) you'd have to use a VGA switch with two inputs (PC and Xbox) and one output to the monitor.

There are alternatives using a video capture card in the PC but quality isn't going to be great and lag becomes an issue when playing games.

This is one of those times where I really don't think you have a viable route with the equipment you have there and I'd be inclined to look at getting a different monitor with better connections on it.

Let's see if someone else can come up with a creative solution for you.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. museumsteve

museumsteve Active Member

Ratings:
    +743
    If you were able to go the X2VGA route the unit includes a VGA passthrough so no switch needed. The X2VGA is a great piece of kit, its just a shame it's NTSC 'centric', the results are fantastic with most Xbox games displaying nicely at 480p and 720p and some at 1080i, it evens has an optical output :)

I'm only mentioning it because I used to use one and was very impressed with it, the man downer is the Xbox needs to be NTSC so only option is using a US machine or modding a UK machine.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. oldsparky

oldsparky Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmmm,
    So here was me thinking i was asking a complete noob question, thinking the answer would be quite simple.
    But i guess not.
    Oh what to do now.
    Regards.
  8. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor Active Member

Ratings:
    +696
    Something like this may help :

VGA Gamer HD TV Box > Maplin

I've not used one with an Xbox so I can't confirm that will work, but I have used it with an Archos to link from the video output to a TFT monitor