1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connect laptop to tv via HDMI, picture but no sound

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by paulstat, Dec 28, 2008.

1. paulstat

paulstat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Trying to help my dad connect his laptop to the tv via an onkyo 606 av receiver. We've managed to get picture but for some reason the laptop, just won't send any sound through the connection

[​IMG]

The PC speakers green bar shows activity but the HDMI doesn't, I've tried setting it to the default and I've also tried disabling the Speakers/Headphones. But no joy.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
    Paul
  2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +699
    What is the make and model number of the PC ?

Chris Muriel, Manchester
  3. paulstat

paulstat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's a dell XPS 1330
  4. ///MMB

///MMB Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have the same laptop. you have to set the HDMI as the default and restart the app playing the sound.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. BiggSizz

BiggSizz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am having the same trouble. Only difference is when I bring up the sound properties I do not have the HDMI option, only the speakers. I assume there is a driver issue but when I look in the device manager it says my HDMI audio drivers are current.
  6. koppit

koppit Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Don't know if anyone still needs help with this but I've just recently overcome this problem after lengthy discussions with Dell support. I have a Dell Studio 15 laptop with HDMI output and a Panny 32LZD85 LCD TV. Basically, I had lots of issues with picture on the TV and no sound, and then vice versa on the laptop. The thing to realise is that you have to make it easy for the laptop to recognise the TV. Follow the steps below:
    1) Make sure the default settings on "Sound" are for the laptop speakers.
    2) Turn on the TV and make sure that it is showing the HDMI channel that you are going to connect to (not your TV channels).
    3) Only AFTER this, connect the laptop to the TV via HDMI.
    4) Sound and picture should transfer to TV
    5) Once finished, unplug the HDMI cable from the laptop before shutting down the laptop.
    6) Sound and picture should return to the laptop.
    7) If you forget and shut down the laptop with the TV plugged in and then restart, that is where a lot of the picture and sound conflict issues occur. You can overcome this by going through steps 1 to 3 above with the HDMI cable unplugged from the laptop.

Give it a go. This works every time for me now!:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. davzway

davzway Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Asus N10jh-a1 with Nvidia G-105m graphics laptop has hdmi,, to Sony KDL-40v2500 is 1080p, dts, dolbey, with hdmi inputs

Tried having the hdmi cable to laptop unplugged, then hooking it up (normally don't do when item is on),, no change. Going to sounds, HDMI, Realtek digital audio is working, Digital Audio, and SRS audio, all four show working (have checked and the new laptop is current for all hardware and drivers, updates. Also checked NVidia and Realtek sites to make sure they didn't have any updates, picking up one from NVidia (no change)...

Have tried different hdmi cable, not cable problem, the TV input for hdmi does work for PS3 so not TV input issue. Interesting enough, used a really good 15pin VGA cable and 3.5mm audio cable from laptop to TV... good picture , and NO AUDIO with the connection. Suggestions?:confused:
  8. koppit

koppit Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Did you try following the steps I posted in March?

1)Turn on the laptop, with no HDMI cable plugged in.
    2) Ensure Sound is set to "Speakers/Headphones"
    3) Turn on TV and plug HDMI cable into TV
    4) Turn TV onto the appropriate HDMI channel
    5) ONLY THEN, PLUG IN THE HDMI cable to the laptop.
    6) You may need to toggle "Function F8" to get the image on the TV.
    7) You should now have sound and image through the TV.

Let me know if it works.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. MrsCee

MrsCee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Koppit, your instructions were fantastic :thumbsup: and helped me to ALMOST get there. Like so many other people, I can get picture but the sound is still coming out of the laptop. Am using an HDMI cable as both laptop (ASUS X56Aseries)and LCD (Sharp) are pretty new. Do you think it's something I'm not doing on the TV, or the laptop?

Also, can't get the picture to fill the whole LCD screen. Any suggestions at all would be warmly appreciated!

Mrs Cee
  10. koppit

koppit Member

Ratings:
    +2
    MrsCee - nearly is still not good enough though! How frustrating! I think the main thing is to make sure you do tihings in exactly the sequence I mentioned below - otherwise the TV doesn't "recognise" the laptop. Did you follow the steps exactly in sequence below? Try it again, this time at Step 2, make sure on your laptop that you turn the sound to "Speakers/Headphones", - "Set Default" - "Apply" - "OK", then follow from Steps 3 onwards. When you plug the HDMI cable in, make sure the TV isn't on a TV channel (eg, BBC1, ITV1, etc), but is switched over to the appropriate HDMI channel (should be a blank screen). ONLY at this stage plug the HDMI cable into the laptop.

Let me know what happens. I don't know why your image isn't filling the whole of your TV screen. Either the resolution setting is wrong, or you have your TV set to the wrong ratio (4:3) instead of "Widescreen" or "Auto".

Let me know how you get on! BEst of luck!
  11. Ghulam35

Ghulam35 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i had this same problem when i connected my tv and computer.

the problem was inside the computer, the S/PDIF wasnt connected between the motherboard which had built in sound and graphics card which had the HDMI cable port, so there was no connection between the sound and HDMI. But as soon i connected the cables and installed realtek high definition audio drivers the sound worked fine. hope that helps
  12. dutchie79

dutchie79 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, great info!! I got my girlfriend's pc connected to my plasma but still having problems with some soundplayers. In other words, DVD sound is transfered but sound from youtube clips, home-made videos, etc. still do not transfer from her PC to my TV.
    PC is a HP Pavilion DV6 and my TV is a Panasonic Plasma. Both connected via HDMI cable.
    Would be great if somebody knew what the issue is coz frankly we do not need an expensive laptop for only watching DVD...if you know what I mean! :):hiya:
  13. alabomb

alabomb Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I had to make sure the HDMI from the laptop went into the Cbl/Sat input on the 606 otherwise I wouldn't get sound. Worth a try?
  14. malcolm-edwards

malcolm-edwards Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ASPIRE 6530G. HDMI CONNECTION TO PROJECTOR. PROJECTOR HAS NO AUDIO CAPABILITY OR AUDIO OUTPUT SOCKET.fixed myself - set audio to speakers/ headphone when laptop switched it to HDMI.
    Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  15. GlassFittings

GlassFittings Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would just like to say thanks to Koppit

Luke:thumbsup::clap:
  16. mikeltoo

mikeltoo Member

Ratings:
    +0

Thanks for suggestion - see my post today
  17. Paulus_065

Paulus_065 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks a lot for for the walkthrough, it certainly worked for me
    Regards to you
    paulus
  18. chiortas

chiortas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this is a great guide. it didn't quite work for me, so i went to download the realtek HD audio codecs. even though i already had them on my system, i assume they were outdated, so i have downloaded an up to date pack, and the sound just blasted out of the telly. I assume i wouldn't have made the telly work without this guide though, so thanks again mate. and so that everyone knows - if u have tried all this guide and it didn't work for you, just try downloading up to date codecs, this might just help.
  19. dyleug

dyleug Member

Ratings:
    +0
    does this also work for connecting laptop to av receiver, because i don't use tv sound, my audio output comes from the av receiver.
  20. davzway

davzway Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The information is correct for his setup and TV... the Asus G53Jx-x3 I currently have works where previous Asus didn't including N10jh whatever which isn't on market... going to laptop settings, Hardware, then Sounds, click on output,, then click on hdmi or make sure HDMI is enabled,

Again, TV setting for Input must be for whatever input # you are using for the laptop connection... connect HDMI cable (some cables are directional so look at ends to see if there is an arrow show direction and follow with input end at TV and outgoing from laptop.. With TV on and input selected and hdmi connected, it should work by plugging into the laptop when the laptop is running as HDMI is similar to plug n play like usb. Should have picture and sound showing on TV, picture same as laptop screen. Most laptops allow for change in settings to allow picture on laptop screen to be off when lid is closed,,,, however, I don't for heat removal Also, VERY good idea to have laptop cooler under laptop that will be running for hours at a time playing movies on TV.. My laptop can have the HDMI connected when turned off and it's turned on without a problem.. disconnecting hdmi put sound back on laptop speakers.
  21. jodesta

jodesta Member

Ratings:
    +0
    please help. I have a sony bravia 40in and i have just purchased a toshiba intel 5 laptop. I have connected the pc monitor cable up to the tv and the laptop but no sound from the tv, i rang dick smith and they told me to buy a 3.5mm ato 2 RCA plug and then connect the 3.5 to the headset jackpoint on the laptop and the 2RCA plugs to my tv, still no sucess, tried the settings in the display panel on the laptop but nothing, then i tried th connect my HDMI cable to the laptop and then the tv, change the channel on the tv to HDMI, but still getting no sound, could some one please help me. Thank You
  22. davzway

davzway Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sent a long email reply.. let me know if it went through.. hit send then asked to log in again so I don't know, davzway
  23. jodesta

jodesta Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes the message went through.

Thank You
  24. davzway

davzway Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know if what I gave you worked. Meant it about talking you through if what I suggested didn't work.. cannot ever use the 8000 minutes of cell time so long distance is no big deal.. I spent way too many hours dealing with this exact problem so I know what you're dealing with.

With hdmi cable.. once you have selected source on TV for the outlet # of that hdmi (I also use 40" Sony ),, the rest of problem IS in laptop on getting the source out. Have been able to set up my Asus laptop, hdmi is left connected.. can boot laptop now, go directly from desktop to playing something on tv (HULU , TNT or whatever).. video and sound on TV when source is selected,, if TV is not on,, have sound through laptop speakers... without changing anything... way it should work.. IT IS possible to have bad laptop but unlikely.. If I can help further,, let me know. davzway
  25. davzway

davzway Member

Ratings:
    +0
    FORGOT TO MENTION,, WOULD HAVE THE MONITOR CABLE UNPLUGGED FROM LAPTOP TO TV.. AND PARTICULARLY THE 3.5mm PLUG GOING TO SOUND ON TV.. SOME LAPTOPS DEFAULT TO 3.5mm PLUG AS IF EARPHONES ARE IN AND EXCLUDE ALL OTHER SOUND OUTPUTS. davzway :oops:
  26. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Can you turn off "Caps Lock" please, posting in capitals is classed as shouting.

Curly
  27. jodesta

jodesta Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a HDMI cable and hooked it up and now i have sound and picture on laptop and tv.

Thank You for your comments and Help
  28. davzway

davzway Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that,, my mother cannot see well and just finished sending her a message before this one... thirty lashes and will try to do better,... davzway
  29. missmojorisin

missmojorisin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We were having this issue as well with our ASUS laptop connected to our vizo TV. The fix was fairly simple and I felt like a dummy :facepalm: for not being able to figure it out sooner. Simply right clocked on the speaker and selected playback devices. Then rigt clicked in the sound window and cselescted the option show disabled devices. Then we were able to enable the sound on our tv :):clap: