1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connect DVD to TV without scart?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by alanstephen, Jun 30, 2005.

1. alanstephen

alanstephen Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I want to take my Sony DVP-NS355 DVD player on holiday to North Cyprus but the elderly TV in our hotel room doesn't have a scart socket and as far as I know only a coax input so is there way I can connect the two? I can buy/hire a small player but the screen size is too small and the quality from my notebook isn't good so anybody got any ideas and am I correct in saying that the DVD output is in a digital form and the TV coax input is an analogue signal and this will be the problem.
  2. PJTX100

PJTX100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    Depends what you mean by coax.

If it's the arial socket then no you can't plug it in there.

Also forget about the digital coax output from your DVD, that's for sound only and needs a digital decoder such as a surround sound amp.

You should have 3 other phono sockets on your DVD player - single yellow for video out and Red/white for analog stereo sound out. If the TV has these (sometimes they are on the side/back of the set for plugging cameras and the like) you'll be OK

...PJ :)
  3. alanstephen

alanstephen Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    By coax yes I mean the arial socket and I am fairly sure the TV doesn't have Audio/Video phono sockets. Any other ideas?
  4. PJTX100

PJTX100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    If you have a video recorder you could take that as well, plug the DVD into the video and plug the video into the TV's arial socket...PJ :)
  5. alanstephen

alanstephen Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea but I don't think I could get it all in the suitcase maybe just hire a TV (with scart) when I get there unless you can think of anything else but thanks anyway.
  6. Ged

Ged Member

Ratings:
    +19
    You can buy a small black box called an RF Modulator, it has a Scart input and a variable RF channel output.
    To use this plug the DVD via Scart into it and then the aerial output into the TV. A Hotel set may not let you adjust the set, so adjust the modulator until the TV tunes to it.
    I have one of these, the picture quality is obviously lower quality than RGB etc though I used it solve another problem with image ghosting on an older TV.
    They can be bought from Keene or Lektropaks for around £30.
  7. alanstephen

alanstephen Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ged happened to spot an advert in the Keene Catalogue for a Modulator and followed it up by buying one on ebay for £12.50+P&P.
    Will see if it works when I get it!
  8. Kevo

Kevo Active Member

Ratings:
    +116