1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connect computer wirelessly to router

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Macfall, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Macfall

Macfall Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have just signed up to O2 broadband with a free wireless router. Obviously I need some sort of dongle type device to attach via usb to my computer so I can receive the signal. Which is the best on the market for this? The computer will be in the room directly above the router.

Thanks for any advice
  2. drmcw

drmcw Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Depends how you define best. A USB dongle type adapter will be easy to install and unless your ceiling/floor is solid metal and concrete it should work fine. If you have a PC rather than a laptop then an alternative is a PCI card based adapter. This will be harder to install as you have to take the cover off your computer but these adapters typically have better aerials and lower latency, so should give better performance.
  3. Macfall

Macfall Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice. Are these easy enough to install and what price roughly. My PC runs window xp.
  4. MarkE19

MarkE19 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,025
    Around £15 gets you a PCI wireless adapter such as This. You can probably find cheaper versions, but I personally alway use Netgear - just my preference.

Fitting PCI cards is very easy. Remove the cover and inside the PC remove one of the blanking plates on the back of the case. Slot the card into the motherboard and fix with a screw (the one that was holding the blanking plate in place). Put the PC back together and power up, then install the supplied software. A video from youtube shows you exactly what to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVdHvTDnp-o

Mark.
  5. shippyt

shippyt Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What wireless networks does your router support as you can pick up wireless G dongles now for less than £10?
  6. Macfall

Macfall Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

Would the following be compatible with my O2 wireless box -

BELKIN G+ USB ADAPTER (Argos cat. no. 676/8023)

If so, would it be possible to stream live football matches to my PC or would the connection be too weak to do this?
  7. Macfall

Macfall Member

Ratings:
    +1
    How do I know what is compatible with my O2 wireless box?
  8. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Anything that supports IEEE 802.11g will work - that is to say all of them.

BTW, as has been said before, don't buy a USB adapter and why are you going to that famous computer shop Argos? If you are going to buy with no support you then you may as well buy from somewhere cheaper like www.amazon.co.uk. PCI Cards from about ten quid.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  9. ticktockhouse

ticktockhouse Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I second this, I had endless problems with crappy USB wi-fi dongles before switching to a dedicated PCMCIA 802.11g cars (D-Link DWL-G630)