Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Connect BluRay player to DVD compatible surround sound system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying, Setup & General Help' started by Bettysboy, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Bettysboy

Bettysboy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I wanted to buy a surround sound system. Told that systems that play DVD only will be obsolete with incoming BluRay. Theater systems with BluRay are much more expensive than DVD theater systems as of now. Was wondering if buying lower priced DVD surround system now and later when prices come down on stand alone BluRay players, would allow for buying one of those and jacking it in to DVD system. If possible, what type of connection would have to be used to make that connection?
    Was told that there is only one input on sound power system and compression (explained as poor sound quality) would result.
    Know a little but entering in to new tech now and not sure what is true and what is being told to me to encourage buying higher priced item that I really don't need.
    Also told that BluRay systems only have single CD player ability as opposed to 5 player system (which is the capability that I really want). Is the 5 disc systems out there? Are they coming, if not yet available? How soon does aanyone expect BluRay theater sound systems to come down to prices that DVD systems are now - $350.00 to $550.00?
    Hey lot of questions I know but really could use some help here!:lease:
  2. davepuma

davepuma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,183
    Digital audio for true surround sound formats e.g. Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS can only be output via digital optical or digital coax connections. The new HD audio formats e.g. Dolby True-HD and DTS-Master Audio can only be output over HDMI. For details on the various audio formats see here If your player does the decoding you can output any format via HDMI or multi-channel analogue connection in LPCM format.

You could buy a cheap amp and speaker package from the likes of Onkyo, Yamaha or Sony. I'm guessing you're in the US or Canada, so I won't guess at model numbers. Your best bet would be to try a US based site i.e. avsforum.com for a better response.

I would always say to go for separate bluray player, AV receiver (amp) and speakers but I can see the appeal of all-in-one home theatre systems.