1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conceding defeat..........

Discussion in 'TV Technology: Smart TV, 3D, Ultra HD, 4K' started by ValiantSaint, Feb 13, 2012.

1. ValiantSaint

ValiantSaint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After looking for a good 40-42 inch 3D TV in my price range (up to £700) for the last week, I think I'm going to have to give up searching, as ALL of the TVs I've looked at, seem to have glearing problems with them.

The first port of call, was an Panasonic ST30. This has been saddled with the dreaded "green hue" problem.

I have also been looking at the 6 Series Samsung, but these don't display 3D in full 1080p!

What's a guy to do? Maybe I'm wanting too much, for too little cash? (I don't think I'm being unreasonable, I'm I?) All I want is a good picture (in 3D and 2D) and good gaming performance, as well (A good viewing angle would be nice, too!)
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Do you mean literally "looked at"?
    If so then look at some more - there are hundreds of perfectly good TVs.
    Or do you mean you've read scare stories about them all?
    If so, ignore them, buy one you like the look and price of, and if it goes wrong send it back.
  3. ValiantSaint

ValiantSaint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any suggestions as to which ones you would say are ok? (As most people on here are far more ITK, than I) :)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2012
  4. flippence

flippence Member

Ratings:
    +39
    At this time all 3D Edge LED Television makes are a bit of a lottery relating to Clouding and Bleeding. You could get a bad one or a good one. All I would say is go for a mid range in the higher part of budget. Lower IMO would be a compromise too far.
    I would look at the LG WL550, Samsung D6530, Sharp LE831. All can be purchased within your budget. Do not worry about Full HD 3D it is just perceived as inferior if not included. Demo all of them yourself, especially 3D. I did but ended up with 37" DT30, no problem in all aspects but maybe a little small for some
    As for the ST30 not all sets will have the problem mentioned.
  5. postmaster

postmaster Member

Ratings:
    +28
    I too have the DT30. I agree an excellent set producing superb 3D/HD pictures but its not without its drawbacks. Contrast suffers noticeably off axis and the black levels are really no more than dark grey. If you engage the local dimming there is a dramatic improvement in the black levels but this results in some patchy backlight issues when watching a dark screen.
  6. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    If you want FULL HD 3D like the Samsung D7000/D8000 then its gonna cost more, the Samsung D6530 WILL display 3D in 720p depending on the source, on the PS3 I found the games that I had for it which run in 3D along with all my 3D bluray movies ran in 720p whilst in 3D mode.
    As for the Xbox 360 I found the D6530 drop the resolution to 540p on games like Gears of war 3.

Overall the D6530 is a fantastic well equippmed television, with most products the better models will always cost more so either wait for a price drop or just save up a bit more :)
  7. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    All that I can say is that my Sammy couldn't be improved upon, and if it were still on sale I'd say go for it, but it isn't so why not shop around for a Sammy that you like the look of and that's at a reasonable price?
    The numbers and details don't matter at all - what does matter is that it works to give you a perfect picture as mine does, and if it doesn't all you do is send it back.
    You don't need to be technical at all to decide.
    TVs either work, or they don't.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  8. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler Member

Ratings:
    +163
    If good 3D is really important to you then take a look at LG's and Toshiba's range of passive sets.

Take a good look at some 3D using your own eyes and decide for yourself. It doesn't matter how you view but make sure you DON'T look either up or down at a passive screen as it can look terrible (some TVs are badly mounted in certain stores which if why you should take care when viewing).

Remember, a TV is purchased for many 1000's of hours of viewing so take your time and make sure you're happy.

You may need to balance issues with gaming lag (LG are not so hot n this dept but Toshiba are far better) to how good you want the 3D to be :)
  9. flippence

flippence Member

Ratings:
    +39
    The 40lc750 or 650 is available at around £1K. This only leaves the Samsung D65XX within budget with 3D.
  10. ValiantSaint

ValiantSaint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many, many thanks for the help, people : )

So, it looks like I've got the LG WL550?, Samsung D6530, Sharp LE831 (And an unnamed Toshiba! - Toshiba 40TL868?) to have a look at? Can I put a poll in this thread to see what people would go for? (Just out of interest?)

I've found the Toshiba for £541 delivered, with two sets of glasses and a five year warranty. Sound like a good deal?

http://www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk/toshiba-40tl868-full-hd-40inch-led-3d-television-5-year-warranty-copy-i622567.html
  11. flippence

flippence Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Believe jason was referring to Toshiba VL863 Passive. Not sure about TL868 Active, read thread in LED TV not viewed though,
    Suggest you view all sets before deciding. Active 3D is not for everyone. Passive 3D is easier on the eye if viewing a lot,
    Add GT30 to your list to look at can be bought for £750 with 5yr in store warranty
  12. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged Active Member

Ratings:
    +526
    What about a Samsung D6100? Cheaper than the D6530 and pretty similar, except no Skype, no 2D to 3D conversion & 200Hz CMR rating rather than a 400Hz CMR rating. I had one for a while and the 2D quality was superb, very similar to the D7000 to be honest, which has a 800Hz CMR rating. The 6100 also came with a free Samsung 3D Blu Ray player and 3 free pairs of 3D glasses. If you go with a 6 Series, it's great value.

For great 3D though I found the 7 series is a minimum which is out of you price range.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  13. ValiantSaint

ValiantSaint Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it looks like the Samsung D6530 is out due to high gaming lag (same with the LGs) The Samsung D6100 has poor 3D capabilities. The Toshiba VL863, has gaming problems as well (Undefeatable edge enhancement - I can't imagine how bad that looks on an Xbox 360 game!)

The Toshiba TL868 Active did seem a great did seem a bit of a bargain, until I read the owners thread!

EDIT: I've posted another thread outlining my two choices of 3D TV that I'm now looking to get, cheers : )
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  14. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    That bit in bold is 100% incorrect and false, I own the D6530 and am a hardcore gamer, I have played MW2, MW3, Hot pursuit and many other games on this set and have felt NO input lag. I came from a TV that was 6ms, this one in game mode is 46ms and I cannot see any difference and I am critical on my gaming and lag etc. I am not the best player in the world but I can hold my own pretty damn well and I still say the D6530 is a fantastic tele for its features, price and for gaming.

As I said before also the D6530 will display 3D in 720p depending on the source, the PS3 does the job in HD still whilst in 3D. However with the Xbox 360 the resolution drops down to 540p in 3D.
  15. Ari33

Ari33 Member

Ratings:
    +198
    I agree, the input lag issue is a bit overplayed for the majority of users. I'm not a hardcore gamer like some on here and I find my LG is absolutely fine, perfectly playable, I wouldn't know it had over 40ms input lag if I hadn't read about it in the reviews.
    Just because the Lag is above the 40ms mark doesn't mean you should rule out a tv unless you use it to compete in gaming tournaments where your stats are extremely important.. as they will take a slight hit.

ValiantSaint- If you can, I'd wait until Panasonic's Passive ET5 comes out to see what its like before taking the plunge.
  16. tigermad

tigermad Active Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I have an ST30, still quite new, had it for 3 weeks and can see no green blobs on mine. Run colour slides any everything.

Best decision I have ever made and the 3d is awesome.
  17. schmutz

schmutz Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I wouldn't pay much attention to the various scare stories flying around. People are quicker to share bad experiences than good, you could be put off buying anything from anyone! The fact is that investing in a TV is a bit of a lottery. Manufacturers push out new tech faster than they can get it stable because they are all trying to keep up with the competition. You'll get a replacement/refund if you get a bad one. It is likely that you won't experience any of the "problems" though
  18. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    That's the best comment I've seen since coming to the forum.
    It doesn't make sense when people claim, or at least imply, that all of Brand X, or of Model Y, has this specific fault or that specific drawback.
    People do sometimes get examples that have things wrong with them.
    When that happens the answer IS to get the replacement or refund.
    Shared experience is fine, but no-one should be put off a whole brand or model because of it.
  19. gravediggery3

gravediggery3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a Samsung D6530, really like the look of the TV, but having a few problems with the picture. When watching Sky or blue-rays I notice when the camera moves fast or the characters on screen move fast I what I can only describe as blocking at the bottom of the picture! I've tried every picture option and advanced settings there is but still looks the same! Do I have a duff TV???
  20. sandmatt

sandmatt Member

Ratings:
    +5
    The d6530 is great at the current price point.

The 3d is between sd and 720p depending on source to each eye. It doesn't drop the overall resolution of the image. The passive sets are similar, if not lower in resolution. So far I'm pleased and I've watched loads of 3d.
  21. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    Not got that on mine so sounds like an issue with the set, might have to take it back :-(
  22. gravediggery3

gravediggery3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been in contact with the store I bought it from and have been told I need to use high speed HDMI cables, as they would allow the picture to run at 400hz!Could this be the problem??
    Help!!!!!!!
  23. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    That sounds completely false, I am using an older HDMI cable with my 360 to AMP and the AMP to the back of my tele is HDMI 1.1 and I dont get that problem.

You can even tell them what I wrote here.

The only thing that has a HDMI 1.4 cable is my PS3 to my AMP, the other HDMI cables are 1.1 and have no issues.
  24. gravediggery3

gravediggery3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice! The store is a Samsung only dealership so you'd think they'd be straight with me, the salesman claims to have the same TV as me and told me if I still have a problem with the picture after using a different cable then I'd have to contact Samsung directly! The phrase "pass the buck" comes to mind!
  25. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,391
    Whilst I agree with some of what you say, the above is not a statement you should be making.:nono: You simply have no way of knowing this.
  26. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    If you bought it within 28days then you are covered under the sales of goods act.

Also many stores even though they say you get 1yr warranty will just refer you to the maker of the set directly which can be annoying.
  27. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,391
    SOGA covers for up to 6 years, during this time its the retailer that's responsible for the product not the manufacturer. You should always go to your retailer if an item is faulty/not fit for purpose. During the first 6 months the retailer must prove the item is fit for purpose and had no fault at the time of purchase. If an Item is faulty the retailer must offer a repair, replacement, or refund at no expense to the customer. If a fault has appeared over the life of the product any refund can have a deduction to reflect the use the customer has had of the item.
  28. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    No, it's neither the problem, nor the solution - in short, it's nonsense.

You have an annoying problem, but a very simple one - a faulty TV.
    The supplier is responsible for putting that right, as Scooby2000 has explained.
    "if I still have a problem.... then I'd have to contact Samsung directly" was therefore also totally wrong.
    If the suppliers can't fix it then they must contact Samsung UK - and I can tell you that their standard of service is exemplary.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  29. gravediggery3

gravediggery3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A guy from the shop came to our house saw the problem for himself and said he will personally deliver a new model and talk away the faulty one!!

Good customer service...... In the end!!

Thanks for the advice!
  30. GokuSS4

GokuSS4 Member

Ratings:
    +149
    I would love to know how he will be able to 'talk away' the faulty one, will he be using any of the dragon shouts? Fos Rah Dah might cause more problems :rotfl: