Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Turning It's Self On

Discussion in 'Computer Systems' started by 7ewis, Dec 24, 2011.

1. 7ewis

7ewis Member

Ratings:
    +13
    My laptop has done this a few times now, I really don't know why.

In the evening I put it on Hibernate instead of shutting it down, so I don't have to wait for it to turn it's self on again in the morning, but when I go to use it the lights are flashing and it is turned on with just the screen off.. So when I open the lid it's turned on like normal, not even sleeping or anything. I can't see how it does this, I have never used anything like WOL, and can't even find a setting for it.

Why is my laptop doing this!?
    (que ghost stories)
  2. shadowboxer

shadowboxer Member

Ratings:
    +196
    First thing to do is rule out any Spyware. Download and install a decent antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. Are there any unusual programmes running when it starts? Check using the task manager.

Have you checked in the BIOS that options for waking are disabled, such as via USB or LAN devices. It's probably this to be honest.

Try updating drivers finally.
  3. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +168
    Which os? In a command prompt run "powercfg -lastwake" (off top of my head) when u find it switched on to say which device turned the pc on.
  4. 7ewis

7ewis Member

Ratings:
    +13
    It's in windows, I have AVG, I will get Malwarebytes and scan it too though, I do have boot from USB enabled, but that was just for when I had an OS on my USB stick. I don't normally have anything plugged into it anyway.

Thanks I'll try the command.
  5. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +168
    Once u have the output of powercfg post the output here and I'll try to help. Often it's the RTC which can take some tracking down.
  6. 7ewis

7ewis Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Ok thanks mate:)

Output:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Lewis>powercfg -lastwake
    Wake History Count - 1
    Wake History [0]
    Wake Source Count - 0
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  7. walleee

walleee Member

Ratings:
    +220
    Im having similar trouble with my win 7 htpc....

Very frustrating indeed....
  8. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +168
    Your output needs to be when u find the machine on, don't shut down and restart before running powercfg.

The output you have given shows no wake.
  9. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +168
    As a first step make sure hardware devices are not allowed to wake the computer.

In device manager check power settings for the mouse, keyboard and any network devices. Disable them from waking the computer.

The settings for the network cards may be buried in advanced settings and will vary depending on the card manufacturer. You may have to disable multiple settings, eg magic packet etc.
  10. 7ewis

7ewis Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, I didn't shut down. I had my PC on then hibernated it when I went to sleep, then when I woke up after a while I heard a noise under my bed, and my laptop had come on. I then did that command
  11. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +936
    Have a look in Control Panel/Administrative tools/Event viewer, select the drop down menu arrow by Windows logs in the LH pane and select System. Scroll the centre top panel to the time the system came on. select the entry for the time the system came on. The bottom panel will give further info regarding the event. Now using the up arrow scroll up the list of events, most of them are of no interest but you should find one that says "The system has resumed from sleep". In the few lines above this should be an entry stating exactly what has woken the system and what it's objective was.
  12. rorackowe

rorackowe Member

Ratings:
    +168
    Also see if in event viewer the wake is at the same time every day.

On home premium vista and 7 the tv guide sometimes is scheduled to update at 4 or 5 am.l daily.