1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Component Cable Changes Picture Size

Discussion in 'Wii & Wii-U' started by AfxTwn, Apr 25, 2011.

1. AfxTwn

AfxTwn Member

Ratings:
    +101
    Hi, I've had my Wii connected to my plasma HD TV for a few years now via a component cable but have noticed recently that the picture size randomly switched between 16:9 and 4:3 and back again every so often. This happens no matter which game I play and usually either sorts itself out or a quick change of the TV input channel (from say component to AV1 and back) does the same thing.

This isn't a massive problem, more of a mild annoyance but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I suspect it may just be my component cable needs changing but I thought I'd check first before going ahead and buying one.
  2. Locke TH102

Locke TH102 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't see how a cable could have an effect on the ratio of the content. Even a dying one should give you the right aspect ratio. Try your TV settings... There should be a setting with auto aspect ratio or sth like that. Try putting it to 16:9 instead of letting your TV detect the signal's ratio.
    Let me know If that worked out or not...
  3. Member 513627

Member 513627 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I've never encountered this, maybe it's a loose connection?

If your wii is sending out an aspect ration in one format and then the cable becomes loose, maybe your tv is switching back to it's native format for that channel?

That's just a guess though!
  4. AfxTwn

AfxTwn Member

Ratings:
    +101
    Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify it's not exactly changing the AR as such, more like it goes from the normal 16:9 to a zoomed-in 4:3 as there aren't any black bars at the sides of the picture (like there normally would be on a 4:3 picture) and it still fills all of the screen. I'll check for loose connections again and then manually change the setting from Auto to 16:9 on my TV.

When the picture size does change it only does it briefly for a few seconds before reverting back to the normal size but this can happen quite a few times during a gaming session.
  5. Zenon

Zenon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, very strange. There should still be an improve on quality tho, right?