Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold, hard garage office into warm, comfy home cinema!

Discussion in 'Members' Home Cinema Gallery' started by Laceybloke, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Laceybloke

Laceybloke Member

Ratings:
    +8
    We moved into our new house last summer (June 2011), and the previous owners had already converted the single garage into an office, where they worked from home. It was spartan to say the least - carpet tiles onto the concrete floor, a woefully underpowered electric fan heater, harsh fluorescent strip lights and kitchen worktop around the room.

I immediately set my sights on turning this into a home cinema room. I had all the kit already, but the project would be turning this fairly unwelcoming room into something warm and cosy suitable for watching films in.

Here's some pics of how things stood before I started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then - obviously - it got filled with loads of post-move junk!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That last photo shows the end of the room where I envisaged putting the TV and all the associated kit. The plan was to put down a proper floor, install a decent radiator, put recessed spotlights in to the ceiling and then decorate it all.

The speakers are KEF 1005s. The rears would be wall mounted, the fronts on stands and the centre on the unit in front of the TV.

My existing 32" Sony TV was already in the lounge, so I'd have to get a (new, big, shiny!) telly for this room.

Photos of the conversion coming up...
  2. Laceybloke

Laceybloke Member

Ratings:
    +8
    So, after much procrastination, I got the necessary funds/willpower/assistance together and set about sorting the room out.

I ripped out the carpet tiles, and removed the existing skirting board, electric heater and strip lights. Then the fun began!

First, the insulation went down in a 2x2" timber frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And whilst we were doing that, I dropped the cable for the rear speakers down inside the wall and ran it around the edge of the room to be hidden by the chipboard flooring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I then terminated these cables at the end of the room with a binding plate.

[​IMG]

Here's the floorboards all finished.

[​IMG]

And then the radiator was installed, fed from the pipes in the adjacent utility room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my mate who's a sparky made installing these look REALLY easy...

[​IMG]

More photos to come.
  3. Laceybloke

Laceybloke Member

Ratings:
    +8
    So once the main work was done, it was a case of tidying it all up and making it look respectable.

The ceiling was painted white, the rear and side walls a cream/brown (from Homebase, called "Cosy"). The doors and woodwork was glossed a darker brown called "Restful", again from Homebase.

The main end wall (where the TV and AV equipment was going) was wallpapered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I had the job of putting laminate floor down, and once this was done, the curtain rail and curtains were installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next job is to tidy it all up with new architrave and skirting boards, and then that's about it for the DIY work!
  4. sergiup

sergiup Active Member

Ratings:
    +617
    That looks like it isn't a very big room - which will just add to the cosyness. Good job, looks great so far!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Laceybloke

Laceybloke Member

Ratings:
    +8
    No, it's not particularly big - 3.7m x 2.6m. The only furniture going in there will be the TV/AV unit (the Ikea one that you can see in the early photos stacked up with boxes!) and our 2-seater leather sofa. Think we're going for classic movie posters in frames for the walls too.

Think the TV will be the Samsung UE40D5520. The AV receiver is the Sony STR-DA2400ES, and as I mentioned the speakers are Kef 1005s. I'll need a new blu-ray player too, and gaming duties will be handled by my Xbox 360 Slim. There's a Virgin Media point in the room too, so we'll be hooking up a V+ to that.

Conversely, the main lounge in the house is absolutely massive, but we've decided we don't want to clutter it with home cinema stuff. It's a nice to be able to have somewhere to squirrel it all out of the way.

Finishing touches to the room itself should be done this weekend - photos to follow, and then on to the exciting bit of buying new gear and getting it installed!
  6. garylythgoe

garylythgoe Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Lovely space that, great transformation. Good job!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Laceybloke

Laceybloke Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Right then - time to finish up I think!

I had a load of MDF skirting and architrave delivered, all cut to approximate lengths, so I set about painting it all prior to installation - note my improvised system to hold it up off the floor!

[​IMG]

After a lot of head-scratching, watching YouTube videos and pricing up tools and materials to fit the skirting boards, I decided to get a friend who is a joiner round to do it for me! Saved me a massive headache, and only took him a couple of hours.

Once that was done, I ventured out and bought the TV (Samsung UE40D5520), along with a new Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S380).

[​IMG]

And then I had all the fun of getting it set up and working properly. Here's the finished result...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had the "premiere" last night - Avatar - and it was superb. Going from a 720p 32" to 1080p 40" is quite a difference, as is the upgrade from Dolby Digital to DTS Master Audio.

Cold, spartan office to warm, comfy cinema? Mission accomplished I think.
  8. Smurfin

Smurfin Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,745
    Looks really good :) One question though, why not put the TV on the wall?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Laceybloke

Laceybloke Member

Ratings:
    +8
    And it is a good question!! The idea is that I wanted the furniture to be freestanding in case we ever want/need to use the room for something else other than a home cinema. The only "permanent" fixtures are the rear speakers and those holes can be easily covered up if they're removed.

I think, when funds permit, I'll go for some different AV furniture. Maybe the Ikea Besta range, which has those panels you can mount a TV on?

Alternatively, I can always wall-mount the TV easily at a later date - the wall in question is just a partition plasterboard one, so it'll be easy to get cables through it to hide them.

Just need to decide what to do with the TV in the long term really, but for now it's fine where it is.
  10. Silverblack

Silverblack Active Member

Ratings:
    +445
    Thats a really nice setup you have.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. AdeJ

AdeJ Member

Ratings:
    +3
    That's a cracking transformation you've got there mate :)

Any plans to up the screen size by going for a Projector in the future? I have a detached garage but sadly we rent - my main stipulation when we do buy will be a detached garage!

Hopefully I'll be able to extend the central heating to the garage by burying/insulating pipework, but I don't know if that's been done before!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Laceybloke

Laceybloke Member

Ratings:
    +8
    It's something that I'd already considered, because the room would suit it perfectly. It'd be a very simple job to mount it on the ceiling (it's a pitched roof above) and then there could be a drop-down screen (either electric or manual) above the TV.

If the room gets a lot of use, and we decide to definitely keep it as a home cinema in the long term, I think it'd be rude not to wouldn't it?!