Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cocktail Audio X10 Discussion, Part II

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Jun 7, 2012.

1. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +922
    new firmware 1669 from today

Firmware Release R1699

• The new firmware searches album cover art and adds it to each track of the CD during CD ripping. For detailed information about the new firmware please refer to the attached firmware release note.
  2. russypussy

russypussy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's been out for a week now
  3. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +922
    lol, I just got the email from cocktail audio. ah well ;)
  4. pooksahib

pooksahib Member

Ratings:
    +2
    This looks like the device I've been searching for. I'm old school though and and everything connected to my amp is by way of red/white RCA plugs. This machine needs a 'single stereo' jack to red/white jacks, a cable I never knew existed. Is this any worse/same/better than traditional red/white jacks at either end?

Last query for now - is the display capable of being dimmed/turned off? If so, from the unit or the remote? My thanks for any advice offered.
  5. russypussy

russypussy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The cable as always is as good as you are willing to go price wise. The unit can be dimmed and turned off from the remote control yes.
  6. pooksahib

pooksahib Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks russypussy. What I was trying to say is, all else being equal, is the 'one jack RCA output' worse (fidelity-wise) than traditional red & white jacks?

Found this on a review site: "But the drone of the drive is a big drawback and one that continues in standby." Do the owners here find it noisy?
  7. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +922
    You can power down the unit rather than leaving it in standby. The noise levels will depend on the drive you use. Putting in a standard 7200 rpm drive is likely to cause more noise than using a green 5400 rpm drive, as the spin speed wont cause as much vibration/noise.

Does your amp not have an sp/dif (optical input)? You will get much better quality from that than phono/3.5mm jack connections.
  8. pooksahib

pooksahib Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Graham. My amp is from 1998 and still works fine. I may think about changing to a modern one.
  9. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I find the fan noise in the X10 is louder than the HDD.

It's a shame they don't use a variable speed fan and turn it off where possible, like media centre PCs...
  10. pooksahib

pooksahib Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Would this device accommodate a Solid State Drive (then disable the fan)??
  11. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +922
    It only takes 3.5" drives and SSD are 2.5", so no
  12. pooksahib

pooksahib Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks again, Graham. I'm 99% sold on this machine. Further questions to any owners of it: What happens after it plays the last track of an album? (I'm hoping it automatically starts playing the next album...) And does it begin playing where the previous session finished? My continued thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  13. Ptplayers

Ptplayers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi , has anyone in North america purchased one of these and if so from what dealer .

Thank you

Rob
  14. davew111

davew111 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Everything works fine on my recently purchased X10 and have loaded 200 albums. Unit will play everything on the database directly via optical and line out however=
    When I connect via wifi or wired to my network enabled TV it connects and displays all the albums but if any album past 122nd on the list comes up with an server error message. Tried connecting using two apps exactly the same result will not play anything past the same place in the database.
    ANY HELP PLEASE
  15. esglemachgyver

esglemachgyver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if it's just me, but my X-10 can't find my wi-fi to connect since the last software update. I'm going to to experiment with a different wi-fi dongle, but if that doesn't work is there any obvious thing I'm missing?!
  16. whatstrumpsnell

whatstrumpsnell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I uploaded most of my albums about 10 months ago still have 9 pages [via Web interface] of albums on which the track names are unidentified . I really don't relish having to type the names of those tracks individually . Is there anyway of updating the information by re-synchronising my DB against what is now available on external sources . Is it simply the case that I delete those albums and perhaps re-install in the hope that they will now be recognized . Thank you in advance for any advice
  17. brmgoons

brmgoons Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Purchased one of these today, need some help please, 1st it played music and after I updated it it now longer plays, also one album I loaded comes up with some totally different can i manually enter details thanks in advance
  18. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +362
    One question I have is i know the X10 can play CDs directly (as a CD player) but can it also stream in that mode or does it have to be ripped first?
  19. brmgoons

brmgoons Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Got mine working now with album art also attached great kit so far :), need to back up what I've done and try to record some tapes onto hard drive
  20. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi. Not sure why you'd even want to? Easy just to rip it to the drive and stream it if need be? Its not really designed to be a stand alone player, eventho' it can.
  21. brmgoons

brmgoons Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Having problems trying to get music from my laptop onto the x10, not showing up on the browser page any ideas / help please
  22. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Because it is a request from someone who is looking to purchase one. I would agree with you and have explained the same to them but they still asked so i said I would try and find out.
  23. Melkor12

Melkor12 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings all "Newbie" here.

I've read through most of Part I and it seems isues with firmware and the general nuances of the X10 have been thrashed out?

I was on the verge of buying the JB7 and read about its shortcomings and saw a recommendation for the X10 as an alternative.

Basic questions: (1) can the X10 be used as a standalone? (2) what are recommended alternatives to the X10s own bookshelf speakers for sound quality?

I have an ancient NAD system that is still going strong but takes up too much room :)
  24. brmgoons

brmgoons Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Morning all I've tried getting music from my laptop onto the x10 via shared folder no luck and now trying via usb no luck either could the item be faulty
  25. whiskeydrinker

whiskeydrinker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,
    my first post so apologies if I break any protocols.
    I am considering purchasing a Cocktail Audio 1TB for playing my CD collection, however I do have many self recorded Cds (WAV format) of jazz programmes, speach then music, then speach etc, how would the unit handle ripping them.
  26. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +922
    If they are in wav format then they are already ripped you just need to point the x10 at the files and let it import them. Once in you can then edit the tags as wav files dont contain metadata
  27. brmgoons

brmgoons Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi I've been able to add music from usb to x10 but when I play them no sound or anything, also can't find any album covers anymore, was all ok last week. Thanks in advance
  28. whiskeydrinker

whiskeydrinker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Graham, I assume by that it will just take the whole wav file of 60 mins radio programme without trying to split it up into music tracks.
  29. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi WD. The X10 will copy the tracks as they are in the PC file or on the CDR. If its as one track now, it'll stay that way. or split the tracks on the PC if you wish, then copy across. I have a couple of radio shows on mine and left them as one track.

As long as the files on the PC are supported by the X10 (and most common file formats are now), it'll cope happily. If they are something a bit more obscure (say .ape), you can either convert them on the PC or rip to a CDR, then fire/rip them over.

As Graham says, you can amend the tags once on the X10 if you wish via the remote/a keyboard/the interface. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6

Hi. By "standalone" I take you mean not connected to a hifi system / amp? Then, yes, it has a pretty good internal 60w amp with normal speaker sockets on the back (red/black terminal clip posts) if want to go down that road. Its best connected to a hifi system imho, but it will be fine otherwise. Better than fine in fact.

You can use pretty much whatever speakers you wish (or what your budget allows). Think the CAP10s were about £80 last I looked - sure you will better those for a little more money (~£100 or so). Richer Sounds, for one, always have decent choices in that price range.

Ok, I'm a little bias towards X10 over the JB7, but its capabilities and general usage far outweigh the Brennon. Network for a start! There are many comparison tables and forums to look at if you're still undecided, but I'm sure you wouldn't regret getting the X10 over the JB7. The various firmware upgrades over the 15 months I've had the X10 have made it a monster piece of kit. Good luck with your choice! ;)