Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cocktail Audio X10 Discussion, Part II

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Jun 7, 2012.

1. hamish72

hamish72 Guest

Ratings:
    +0

Dont use the auto update download latest firmware and install manually via usb stick

read here Cocktail Audio X10 Support Forum • View topic - Firmare update wont work
  2. TheZillionthSue

TheZillionthSue Member

Ratings:
    +2

Thanks - I'll try that, though I have the download folder in the browser section from the auto update (though it wasn't actually auto), would installing it manually via a usb stick not just result in the same thing?

What should I do with the folder once it's in the brower?
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  3. hamish72

hamish72 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Redownload from cocktailAudio and make sure the downed file is the corredt size about 146 Meg

this link will get it

http://cocktailaudio.co.uk/firmware/X1-CA-1.3.0.r1663.pkg

and yes the use of the download you have will probably give the same faulty install

once the new download is iN the browser (of X10) DO

SETUP
    FIRMWARE
    UPDATE BY MANUAL
    SELLECT DEVICE THE DOWLOAD IS ON
    SELLECT THE DOWNLOADED FILE AND AWAY YOU GO
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Nope, to the contrary, it took the initial backup 44 hours. I've added loads since then, another 17 hours to backup the new/amended stuff - so yeh, seems to work. I'd put off another backup hoping the new firmware sorted the incremental backup out - as I'm sure it would have taken 3 days!!!!
  5. russypussy

russypussy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's great news. I'll do mine today. Thanks for that!
  6. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    You're most welcome. I'm going to add just a few CDs/albums and try again. Hopefully, it will whizz thru everything and just back up the new ones. I'll post the result. I expect the whizz to take a little while too as I have 31,000 songs, mainly in wav and flac - I'm not expecting miracles :cool:
  7. Big Chief Onion

Big Chief Onion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, I'd like to thank just about everyone who's posted on this board. I've lurked for a while, adding little to the discussions, and have learned a lot from other people's frustrations and the eventual solutions that have been proffered. I wish I could be join in with the assistance but I'll have to limit myself to helping any friends who buy an X10 with what I've learned here. It's great that at least two sellers of the equipment offer useful advice without any kind of hard or even soft selling. The advice that they give far outstrips the non-too-pleasant or useful interactions on the official forum. Like the assistance from all other users, it's essential for people who aren't very confident with or knowledgeable about technology and not at all intimidating. I could go on but I don't want to get too gushy!

I bought a 2tb model just under a month ago and so far, have had very few problems. There was a bit of a shaky start getting the 1656 firmware onto it and the laptop sometimes has trouble finding the webserver but overall, it's been surprisingly easy going. I'm quite daunted by it's capabilities and have spent most of my time ripping CDs, adding artwork and playing with the radio. I've not got into streaming or any of the other stuff yet, it will come in time. For now, I'm glad to have something that's forcing me out of my Flinstones-like existence and teaching me the joys of not being a Luddite at too early an age.

After putting about 300 cds on it, I'm starting to realise that I must back up soon. Are there any particular external hard drives that users would recommend and any potential pitfalls that the uninitiated should avoid?
  8. High John

High John Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. TheZillionthSue

TheZillionthSue Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I downloaded the update for 1663 on a memory stick and that updated things fine - thanks for the help.

However before I did that I discovered that the current firmware was version 1644, despite the fact that I had previously got messages saying that the new firmware had been installed automatically.

Does this mean that I still have to install version 1656 manually, and if I do that, will I then have to reinstall the latest version 1663 manually AGAIN?

GRRRR. What's the point in having automatic downloads if they don't work?

Also - in response to posts above - I have an enormous amount of CDs which haven't been recognised - about two boxes of them. I would estimate about 10% of the total. Some of them are a bit obscure, but some of them aren't. I tried several times over more than one session, then gave up. I bought a keyboard to put the data in manually, but frankly life's too short and I haven't started to do it :laugh:
  10. hamish72

hamish72 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No latest is latest and can be updated from any older version so as long as your x10 says current = 1663 you are OK
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. mullers63

mullers63 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have found the most efficient way of dealing with unrecognised CDs is to rip them on the PC and, if necessary, use mp3tag to complete the tagging (this uses Amazon and additional databases to freedb). Sounds a bit of a hassle but is much quicker (and more accurate) than typing in manually, particularly if you have the device networked. In many cases, it will add the artwork automatically as well and save a step on the conventional route.

I have also found this a relatively simple way of transferring and tagging vinyl.
  12. TheZillionthSue

TheZillionthSue Member

Ratings:
    +2
    xxxxxxxx

Thanks, my only issue with this is that the PC won't rip as FLAC files I think, however as you say it might be quicker.

I will devote a day or two to it at some point now the nights are drawing in :)

On another point completely, has anybody else ever had a total white-out /freeze of the screen whilst a track is playing? This has happened to me about three times lately, with different tracks, and I've had to turn the whole thing off at the switch and re-boot.

Any idea of the likely cause?
  13. mullers63

mullers63 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    There are a number of free packages which will produce FLAC files - I have found FreeRIP to work pretty well
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Update: Initial back ups of around 32,000 songs (mainly wav & flac), I then added a couple of albums and amended a couple of artworks, did a further back up - it took around 90 minutes - whizzing thru the initial back up to check for additions & amendments - beats 3 or 4 days!!!!!! It'll do for me. :clap:

Also, did a 'Recovery' beforehand - it used to crash halfway before the firmware update. It worked fine, deleting all those rogue blank folders and a few oddities caused in editing/renaming etc. Reloaded some deleted songs etc and did a back up - all is well now.
  15. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Oh!!!! Another new firmware update this morning - 1665.

X10 alerted, downloaded, extracted & installed in about 5 minutes all by its little self. Can't see any obvious changes, need to wait for the release notes on the site later today hopefully.
  16. Big Chief Onion

Big Chief Onion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After doing a recovery, why does the X10 move song files to a new folder? I assume it's because they're damaged in some way but I'm not sure about the specific reasons. Also, what action should I take with the moved songs?
  17. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, I think the X10 thinks there's a problem with them. Mine moved about half a dozen or so, so I highlighted them in the 'Recovery Result' file and moved them back. Checked if they played and all but one was okay. Note - you'll need to update the artwork on the whole album if you move them back into the DB. Or, option #2, re-rip any CDs affected (advisable - as sometimes the above method results in the tracks becoming in the wrong order - up to you of course). It would be interesting to see if another run at Recovery produces the same moves if you try option #1?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +922
    There is another firmware update now available. It addresses a couple of bugs introduced in 1663
  19. Big Chief Onion

Big Chief Onion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. The tracks sounded OK as far as I could tell but for simplicity's sake (rightly or wrongly), I deleted them and the albums they came from then re-ripped them.

After deleting but before re-ripping, I performed a second restore in case the X10 discovered further damaged files. I wanted to save myself a second visit to the daunting piles of processed CDs in the spare room. It did find a few more problematic files.

I ripped a CD some time ago that has 80 or so tracks of silence after the album ends proper, interspersed with hidden songs. I'd deleted the silent tracks via the web interface but the X10 found them somewhere and moved them into the restore folder under the title 'webGUI'.
  20. charlest33

charlest33 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1665 was downloaded automatically recently and seemed to be working OK. But when I tried to do a backup the screen froze and I had to switch off from the back of the machine. I then downloaded 1665 onto a USB stick and re-installed, but the problem is the same.

More detail: I connected my external hard drive (same one as I've used for previous backups) to one of the X10's USB ports then went to "Backup" on the X10 and pressed OK. This takes me to "USB1" (in other words it recognizes the backup drive). I press OK. This takes me again to "Backup". The screen freezes with the "Backup" screen visible. The only way to get out of this is to switch it off from the back.

Any help with this would be much appreciated!
  21. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Don't know if you have a problem or not - when I do the backup thing, the above happens, then kicks in 2 or 3 minutes later. Have you given it a chance to commence - say 5 mins max? It should get to a screen where it notifies how much free space is on the external HDD (not an issue now as it does an incremental backup) and if you wish to continue. Check 'OK' and it'll compare your DB with the backup and save any changes / amendments / new titles. Just a thought. :rolleyes:
  22. charlest33

charlest33 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks! I'll wait for 5 minutes and see what happens. Someone else suggested disconnecting the ethernet cable as the network sometimes interferes with the backup, apparently, so I'll try that too.
  23. nellieboy

nellieboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi new here need help please. is it possible to transfer files from the x10 to my pc and convert them to apple lossless to play in itunes. i want to do this so i can use in my workshop without having to rip all my cds again .i have tried searching but no luck. my thanks in advance to all you experts please help this old duffer . neil
  24. larkone

larkone Active Member

Ratings:
    +362
  25. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +922
    You will only be able to convert to lossless if you already have them saved as lossless in the x10. If you have down converted to mp3 then it has thrown away data and you won't be able to use the to create a lossless format. Additionally if you ripped the cd on the x10 then the metadata won't be in the file so you will need to get the metadata again for the alac files
  26. nellieboy

nellieboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for quick reply.ok got dbpoweramp. found info in manual thanks. just waiting for new drive to arrive.is this best done via ethernet to pc. got something like 1000 albums all in lossless flac on x10 so assume this will take some time to transfer. thanks for the help neil
  27. nellieboy

nellieboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    to graham myers. getting the meta data again does itunes automatically retrieve this via internet once i have transfered the music into it
  28. Chris MK

Chris MK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I was also going to ask this question so thanks!
  29. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +922
    when you do an import in itunes it usually expects to see the metadata already there.

If you are using dmc to convert from flac to alac then I'd expect that to populate the metadata, but again that might just try to copy the metadata that should be in the flac file.

test convert one album and see what happens
  30. Chris MK

Chris MK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've successfully exported, converted and imported a track into iTunes and it sounds great thanks!
    However, it has the wrong album cover.
    And now I have noticed it is also wrong on the Cocktail.
    In fact one album has a different cover for each song!
    I used the webGUI for adding the album covers and they all look fine from within that application.
    What has happened?
    And how do I rectify this?

Chris