Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cocktail Audio X10 Discussion, Part II

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by amcluesent, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    You can record Internet radio onto the HDD and from there transfer it onto a memory stick but the X10 will not rip CDs for you.
  2. hamish72

hamish72 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    As said will record to hd but not write (record) to cd
  3. brmgoons

brmgoons Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok thanks
  4. PeterRH

PeterRH Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm still running on r1604 which has been very stable and does everything I want. As I might want to use new featues at some time in the future I'm wondering if I should update now to avoid getting even further behind in firmware version. However, I don't want to spend ages sorting out potential database errors that a new version may find. Are there any precautions I should take (apart from the obvious of a database backup) before I update and am I likely to run into problems because I'm so far behind? Will I be able to go back to r1604 if I get in a mess?
  5. hamish72

hamish72 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Other than the backup I se no problems subject to down loaded and manual install of update via usb memory stick

And yes you can revert or at least I have done so on several versions with no problem
    I do however avoid the Restore function ( think thats what its called or Recovery) because it seems to object to file errors which in turn do not seem to affect any operation for me

Wait for a few replies in case others have found differently

If it goes belly up however dont quote me :) Good luck with it
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2012
  6. PeterRH

PeterRH Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks, good to know that I can go back to the older version if needed.
  7. marcd70

marcd70 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi new member so please be gentle, there is lots of info on here but too much to get through so here are a few quick questions . i have my music on laptop around 200gb i have also transfered the same music to itunes folder on same laptop. So what is the best way to export to x10 move from music file or from itunes file? 2. I would like to control the x10 via itunes on a tablet so the tablet would be like a remote control for the x10 think that would be rather cool OR do i go for an android based media player on tablet to control the X10 or even better has anyone got a better idea ??
  8. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +956
    OK, we'll try!

First off, what are you trying to achieve with music streaming and what is your budget? Are you a big Apple user, with a Mac, iPhone etc?

How have you ripped the music from CD or is it all d/ls from iTunes?
  9. marcd70

marcd70 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not a big apple user at moment but thinking of moving down that route.85% of my digital music is mp3 not iTunes but I have included it all in iTunes.(Consolidated all files)
    I have done a lot of cataloguing and organising with the library in iTunesso it's far more organised. So I'm thinking that exporting the iTunes folderfrom my laptop to x10 would be the best option. What I would like to achieve isto be able to use a tablet device as a remote so all the album art work isdisplayed in easy to use format like iTunes or an android based media player. Is this possible? Or am I thinking down the wrong route here?
    :confused:

got good budget have around 450 cds to put on the x10 :)
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  10. amcluesent

amcluesent Moderator

Ratings:
    +956
    Hmm, the thing is, iTunes maintains it's own catalogue of the music files. You may find that when you export the mp3 files themselves, little or none of the artist, track info etc. is written into the file "tags" and you'll need to start again. Migrating from iTunes to other music players isn't easy (why would Apple make it easy?)...

As you've found, the number of players with internal hard disk is quite small.

The X10 for sure, but you're also paying for an amp you may not need.
    Brennan JB7, looks at reviews on t'interweb before deciding, again an amp you may not need
    A Mac mini, no internal CD drive for ripping, otherwise a possible
    Vortexbox and Vortex Music Player, popular with users on the forum and you just feed it CDs to rip.

or a two box

Sonos CONNECT and simple NAS like WD MyBook - very easy to setup and use.
  11. graham.myers

graham.myers Active Member

Ratings:
    +922
    you can use the x10 as the basis of a multiroom Sonos system. The cost of the amp in the x10 isnt a huge proportion of the cost (well the cost of manufacture anyway :)) so you can still using it for future ripping once you've transferred your collection across. In theory once you do the import you should be able to get the metadata using the x10.
  12. marcd70

marcd70 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have two music folders on my laptop hard drive. 1, which is music that i have just dumped in there. 2, itunes folder which has been organised. Can i just export that folder to the X10 ? Has anybody done this and found problems, the music is on laptop not a macbook?

many thanks
  13. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +922
    I rip with dbpoweramp to flac onto my media server
    I then batch convert from flac to mp3 to a different directory on the media server
    I point itunes to the mp3 directory and use itunes to edit the meta data.

I've added in an x10 and pointed the x10 to the mp3 directory and imported. I got everything in but you have to sort out the album artwork as it isnt embedded in the mp3 file.

Apart from the x10 not coping too well with a large collection it was fine. I had to chop the process into several ranges otherwise it would just give up after a lot of tracks. I have about 12000 tracks from memory now
  14. Chris MK

Chris MK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I can't get my new Buffalo DriveStation EHD to appear under the Browser.
    Is there an issue with USB 3.0 devices?
  15. graham.myers

Ratings:
    +922
    USB devices should be fully backward compatible with USB 2.0 so I wouldn't expect a problem. The x10 should still be able to see the device if plugged into a USB 2.0 socket
  16. Chris MK

Chris MK Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes that was my understanding.

Of course, (as I have just realised) if you have password protected the drive there is no way to enter the password on the Cocktail!
    It is new but I do worry about myself sometimes
  17. simonblue

simonblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    Just one quick ?,do you download the new database direct to your X10,thought your Internet connection,or you download to your computer then a USB pen and install that way.

18. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    My X10 just self updated to firmware version R1663, but I can't see it anywhere online to read what the updates actually are - must be TOO new?

I can only see that the 'i' on a track shows the bitrate now too.

I'm hoping for a sequential backup to my external drive - as my last back up took 44 hours and I've put loads on since then!!!!!
  19. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    :facepalm: Oh - its there now - with incremental backup!!!!! :smashin:
  20. simonblue

simonblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
  21. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    14 hours in - only another 2000 new songs to go...........
  22. russypussy

russypussy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    With the new firmware it doesn't display artwork with tracklist. Well I can't set it if it does.
  23. russypussy

russypussy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you saying incremental backup doesn't work?
  24. hamish72

hamish72 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Incremental backup works great (for me ) I used to backup changes via Beyond Compare so the first X10 backup will take a loooong time but I have powered of after a a few hundred files and restarted backup which rapidly runs through the existing (interupted backup ) then continues with the remainder GREAT

:clap::clap:
  25. simonblue

simonblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    Only just got mine,so still ripping my large CD collection,but finding the database not picking up all my CD.

Its finding some quite obscure ones,then not finding some quite well know albums ?.

Anybody had this :)
  26. Hagar63

Hagar63 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I had that problem every now and again,and found if I ejected and inserted the disc again, 9 times out of 10 the artist/title would be found.But in the past I have had to manually input the details a few times.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. TheZillionthSue

TheZillionthSue Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I had removed the WiFi dongle to play from a memory stick before going away for a few days, so the firmware was not automatically installed as previous releases have been.

When I replaced the dongle I got a message re installing the firmware. However although it installs it and extracts it, the whole thing then hangs on the wine glass (for over half an hour).

If I turn it off and turn it on again, I get another message re installing the firmware. If I cancel, I am asked to delete the folder. If I don't, it just installs the firmware again and then the same thing happens - it hangs on the wine glass.

So basically, I appear to be stuffed either way.

Can anybody help please as I was so happy to see the changes re playlists :laugh:

I'm about to turn it off and on again and - yet again - cancel the upgrade so that I can actually play something on the ******* thing .....

Edited to say: OK, I am now trying cancelling but not deleting the "new firmware" folder from the browser. I have no idea what is going on, grrrrrrr.
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  28. simonblue

simonblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,649
    Had about 10 discs so far :(,hopfully new database out soon :)
  29. charlest33

charlest33 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was pleasantly surprised to find that the problem I was having with a burst of white noise between songs has been solved by the new firmware (1663).
  30. hamish72

hamish72 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sequential backup works ok but as it makes MusicDB Backup rather than .DB it can only be used to restore via X10 in the event of a drive failure and of course takes forever with Beyond Compare you get an exact copy of the X10 .DB and thus the backup drive ( mounted in caddy till needed ) can simply be inserted in X10 and away you go
    So its back to BC