1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cocktail Audio X10 Discussion, Part I

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by castalla, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Just got my X10 this week.. seems to work well enough --- except having the date scaled to fit the screen width when it's in standby would be useful! Looks a bit silly reading "aturday 17 September 201" !!

Came with f/w 1580 in it.
  2. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    ...if you turn on Web Server, then pop the X10 ip address into a browser, you get an index.php which shows the result of a call to phpinfo();

Curious!
  3. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi...

I find that about 40% of CDs that I try to rip, fail on the last track.

These all play ok on my Yamaha cd player, and on my laptop.

This suggests a problem with the internal CD drive on the X10...

==========================

Update - turns out they are enhanced CDs.. and the X10 has a problem with ripping them - apparently it's being worked on....
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  4. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    There have been some updates to the behind the scenes working of the unit so it runs more stable, just a little fine tuning ;)
  5. russypussy

russypussy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Its fine thanks. I just needed to be patient.

6. ukbazza

ukbazza Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the update but I still dont understand why its taken CA almost a week and counting to add some release notes if its just "Fine Tuning". They are starting to leave an impression with me as a bunch of amateurs saved by some good tech savvy resellers. Have you any inside news when we might get gapless ripping/playback. I have tried looking at their website for answers but nadda so far.
  7. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I see some other countries seem to have release notes...
    The web server option is a good case in point - it's there, does nothing useful but probably will in the future... So why not document that?

Gapless ripping is needed -- as is support for the 100s of enhanced CDs I have that don't rip... Although they do rip using Linux or Win freeware...

We could do with some timescales!
  8. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I'm doing my best to keep you all updated. Also please bear in mind new firmware can't be released just like that, it has to be thoroughly tested to make sure there aren't any other issues that have been created from the updates and this testing takes time. I think it is better they take a little longer to make sure the new firmware is correct than to rush it out, something be wrong, then loads of people complaining because there is a glitch. I much prefer it this way even if we do have to be a little patient for the new FW. I'm not privy to any inside information but we have submitted our suggestions for inclusion in the ext update and we are constantly doing so. The guys behind Cocktail have a good rack record so you can have the assurance these small issues are being dealt with.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. ukbazza

ukbazza Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi AudioSanctum -once again thanks for the update -you seem to go that extra mile which I am sure we X10ers are all grateful for. My point was not about the firmware per se, but the release notes. I am a software developer myself (for the last 25 years) and its bad practice to release a bug fix/update without release notes. We all want Robust Firmware and I am all for waiting ( not too long though) for a good credible fix but C.A. are shooting themselves in the foot by some of their antics with the X10 which now looks as if it was rushed out too quickly. I want to be able to boast that I have an X10 to my friends not keep it quiet because I don't want to clarify everything with "but it wont do X or Y but they have promised a fix sometime.” If their website wasn't so god-awful (my professional opinion) I would tell them directly.
  10. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Yogi for me.

I've had a good play with the X10 now and on the whole its excellent. Ripping CDs no problem (the database doesn't recognise the odd one, but eject/reinsert or eject/reboot solves this eventually). Not fussed about the bonus enhanced tracks, these seem to be video tracks anyway, so not surprised.

One thing I've noticed now after installing over 300 Cds, is that it takes MUCH longer to start/play a wav file than any other. If you rip a Cd to flac or ogg it seems to be quicker to play? And I'm only up to 'B' in my collection!!!! I was ripping the compilations in ogg/flac as they duplicate other titles. All my real Cds I intend to rip in wav. I may reconsider! Think I'm up to about 200Gb now, or 1.8T left on the info button on 'HDD'. Anyone filled it up by more yet?

Transferring flac files from the PC is a bit of a long winded thing to get right. I've tried them via Samba, Network as normal, USB stick and DVDR. All with similar results, the song titles remain, but no artist, album, genre, year etc - they all appear as "Unknown". :lesson: One little shortcut I used, when transferring a lot of Cds by the same artist (which will be common?), is to transfer them (once on the HDD) one at a time to the DB (using the UI). Then just "Rename" the album title. Then copy the next album. After you've completed that artist's collection, simply 'Rename' the "Unknown" artist once - same for Genre. Not ideal I know. You can prepare the album art beforehand too if you're organised - but I'm still using the 'naughty hidden folder method'. :rolleyes:

A USB keyboard is a must. For those who don't know yet, the "Esc" key = the 'Return' remote button and the "Home" key = 'Menu' - the two most often used keys?

Also, be careful of using some symbols open to use on the keyboard but not on the remote, eg "/". I created a "Query Error!!!!" virtually crashing the X10 when inputting AC/DC stuff. I deleted the whole lot (by 'Artist'/ Delete) and re-installed the Cds, renaming them as AC-DC. Like a syntax error when naming folders on a PC I expect? It lets you do it, but then when I tried to play a track later on, it went tits up! :facepalm:

Still a bit quirky, but gotta be better than the Brennon???? :smashin:

Happy X10'ing...........

Nige
  11. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I shall pass your comments on regarding the release notes and make sure in future they are updated when the FW is updated. ;)
  12. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Enhanced CDs are a problem I think, as the last audio track of the session fails to rip - so on 40% of my CDs I have one track I've had to rip to flac on the pc.. and have yet to transfer.. sounds like that will be fun from what Nige says.........
  13. bhasi

bhasi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm really tempted to get one of these, if only to free up 2000 CDs-worth of shelf space, though the repetitive strain injury risk must be considered, too!

It seems to make obvious financial sense to get the HDD-free one and buy one of the HDDs recommended earlier in the thread. My question is: what does installing one involve? Tools? Soldering? Connection to a PC?

Thanks
  14. Hagar63

Hagar63 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah,I've noticed it now takes longer to start/play a wav file now I'm up to around 250+ albums loaded onto the x10. It's so annoying.Hopefully this can be fixed with a firmware update,otherwise the more albums I put on I can see the problem getting worse.
  15. russypussy

russypussy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The HDD is quite easy to install. You need to ensure that it is formatted to NTFS.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  16. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    No soldering required, just two connections in the unit to connect the HDD up, then you just need to format it (HDD)using the X10, it's a 2 minute job ;)
  17. bhasi

bhasi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that - EXACTLY what I was hoping to hear!
  18. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    audiosanctum -- have you much testing with tos vs line out? The spec for the line out doesn't say much, so I wonder if tos gives better results.. and if there's a tos dac you'd recommend (my good old Quad kit has no tos inputs!)
  19. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    We have had a little play with tos v line out and we think we get better results with the Toslink because we've been using it with an amp that has an Analogue Devices 1995 DAC which is a very good DAC. It means you can by-pass the built in DAC in the X10, a dedicated off-board DAC, or one in a decent amp will give better results. The built in DAC is ok, it's a Cirrus Logic DAC so not cheap-cheap but we find the AD1995 better.

As for external DAC with Toslink i'm not the best to comment has we haven't tried different units, we stock XTZ and their amp have a very good built in DAC so so far we haven't seen a need to look for an external DAC. I was going to recommend you have a look at the M2Tech Young DAC because it gets a lot of love on some other forums but just seen how much one is!! I am sure there will be someone on here who can recommend a DAC within your price range. What is your budget?
  20. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the info.. I see what you mean about M2Tech - a bit pricey! I was thinking more in the up to a couple of hundred bracket!!
  21. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Matrix Mini i DAC coul dbe an option, uses the same DAC as in the A-100D3 we tested the Toslink with, gets some decent reviews priced around £260, not tried it myself neither do we sell it but could worth a look:

Matrix mini i 24 192 Balanced DAC Headphone Amp S Matrix mini-i Matrix DAC Matrix Headphone Amp matrixelectronics [Matrix mini i DAC] - $355.00 : Welcome to Matrix Electronics matrix-mini Matrix m-stage Matrix cube DAC headphone amp

Matrix Mini-i DAC review | from TechRadar UK's expert reviews of Hi-Fi accessories
  22. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks! Looks good...

Do you know anything about the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic?
  23. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
  24. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Great - thanks for your help....
  25. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    No problem, also forgot the Firestone Audio Spitfire, I know the company that imports these and always gets pretty good reviews with these too. I have heard the Firestone gear in action and it is very good for the little outlay and the boxes are reallt smart.

There you go, plenty of research material for you! ;)
  26. gpauk

gpauk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers!
  27. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    As far as I can tell, just plug the SATA cables to the HDD, format it and install the firmware. There is a slide door on the side that easily comes off. No tools, soldering iron or jacket required :) :smashin:
  28. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Bugger. I may go back and reload the wav ones as flac/ogg. Nothing to lose really. The only problem I could foresee is uploading to a Creative/Apple portable that doesn't recognise them. Don't wanna go down the mp3 road, pointless?

I can't understand why it takes such an age to access wav files - if it depends on the hardware then it'll never improve, only worsen as you fill it up?

Maybe take a break from the long task of ripping my collection and see what happens..... :confused:
  29. Hagar63

Hagar63 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    That's EXACTLY what I've done,regarding the ripping of more discs. I've got about another 50 albums (another 200+ cds on standby on the shelves,and over 1,000 albums on my external HDD) ready to rip,but without knowing if the problem will worsen,it seems pointless at the moment.And I don't fancy re-doing the other 250+ albums already put on the x10 as flac.....
  30. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    How long are you guys finding it takes to load. We have about 400GB on our main demo unit and load time seems acceptable to me, are we talking half a second, a second, 5 seconds?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.