Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cocktail Audio X10 Discussion, Part I

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by castalla, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tricky133

tricky133 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the videos, I have now worked out a reasonably quick system of transferring my mp3s, editing tags and adding artwork using a free software program called Mp3tag, and copying direct from pc to hdd, then to database. So far so good!

Has anyone worked out if it is possible to randomly shuffle songs from your whole database collection, or is it as I have found which is shuffle within an album??
  2. tricky133

tricky133 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Are you planning to stock accessories, ie wifi dongle, replacement hdd, remote control replacements?
  3. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    We have run the X10 with a XTZ Class A amp (£625) and XTZ standmounts (£800) and have been very impressed with the results. We also used a £4k valve amp and £4.2k XTZ speakers and again resulted in a very good sound. We also used the internal amp of the X10 with some £600 XTZ Standmounts and were quite impressed. Not as good as using a dedicated amp but still quite good. You will get good results from the AE Ego3, what amp are you using?

Sure can. Just click on Music DB, press menu on the remote and select 'titles' click 'OK' and then when the track starts click on the 'Shuffle' button, simples ;)

We do keep the wifi dongle in stock and are planning to keep the CAP10's in (The speakers to match with the unit). We could stock HDD's but i'm not sure we could get them as cheaply as the big guys already do and so we wouldn't be very competitive but it could be something to look into. As for replacemnt parts we would just bring them in as and when we needed them which won't be too often all being well ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Hagar63

Hagar63 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,
    To be honest tonight I was a couple of clicks away from buying the 500gb Brennan JB7....(But,do you know when you get that feeling??) After over an hour scouring reviews on the net I found more cons to pro's regarding the Brennan.Then some site mentioned the Cocktail Audio X10.A quick "Google",later and here I am.Some brilliant advice on this thread about the X10. So much so I have just ordered one off the "Audio Sanctum",website.Opted for the 2TB option.Better too big than too small etc.
    Look forward to receiving it and setting it up.
    Hope they get the gapless problem sorted out.
    Cheers.
  5. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0

There is a shuffle button on the remote too u know? :)
    if ur not sure about imported music retaining tags, just check via menu-edit tag (if u can see the tag details, then X10 will retain) - when accessing shared folder on NETWORK. I find that it depends on the program...
    Itunes tags are quite stable.:lesson:
  6. Dillinquent

Dillinquent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I was wondering how to do that.
    You can also do it with artist & genre, i.e. choose an artist, start playing a track and then press shuffle (or menu/shuffle) to have all tracks by that artist played at random.

I'm another one who wants to get rid of that 2 second gap and be able search for albums by artist. Come on Novatron pull your finger out!:lease:
  7. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ha, the artist-album issue, hope Novatron resolves that in the next FW.
    ppl left a comment at the cocktail forum about this....I have never felt this much anticipation for an impending fw update :rolleyes:
    - i want better services on i-radio - bbc on demand
    - white/blue screen matter reduced (better ways to solve the crushing prob)
    - UpnP without computer (perhaps someone can use their upNp device without computer???)
    -.............new features
  8. castalla

castalla Member

Ratings:
    +26
    If the x10 depends on Reciva for BBC on-demand then don't expect too much - there's a sad history of this feature either being broken or totally out-of-date.

Although I understand an x10 user has already given the method to activate on-demand.
  9. tricky133

tricky133 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Can you provide a link, cannot find them on your site
  10. tricky133

tricky133 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I would love to be able to add multiple images to an album, and have them scroll whilst playing. So not just an album front cover, perhaps pictures of artist, rear cover etc etc.
    Wonder if that is technically possible for a future FW?
  11. Dillinquent

Dillinquent Member

Ratings:
    +0
  12. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all

Thanks again to Shaun for the Smartphone info.

I had the idea in my head I could stream music from the X10 to the phone and listen to it, say, in the garden on headphones etc - which works (except the weather in the garden is pants). To my surprise (and my neighbour's), I didn't realise I could actually play tracks, set up a playlist, play songs stored only on my phone and operate the X10's volume control when playing thru my hifi!!! So now sat up stairs on the desktop, I can see the X10 HDD up here (and the laptop of course) whilst playing the delights of Robert Plant on the hifi downstairs! Didn't expect that!!!

I can't say I'd recommend this, as it seems a huge no-no to be unhiding the ".DB" folder, but I added small album art icons to the 10 Zep CD folders I'd ripped the other night (directly to each folder) - and the art appears on each track. On the laptop, I dragged the art from Google straight into a folder I'd set up on the X10's HDD (in Network view on the laptop), then dragged them into the separate CD folder for each CD in the .DBfolder. Otherwise you indeed have to add to each track via the UI. I could be asking for trouble tho, so I'm going to organised and add it at ripping stage in future :)

Nige
  13. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If the art tag is well embeded into the music during import then the art will appear on X10. If ripped via X10 then manually i guess.
    Dnt edit the .DB, else file system (FreeBD/HDD) will crush - was told by Advanced media player ltd /kjglobal.co.uk.........
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  14. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ur right Castalla, RICIVA not so g8 anymore.....i use more dynamic radio, some on the stations are missing....
    Reciva doesn't even reply 2 customer emails - v bad.
    emailed Novatron about this matter, more on demand services. At the moment i can't listen to the proms (on demand service), i create them dynamically & play on the X10. There are some on demand, but i think its just by chance on reciva's side.
  15. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Cheers - yeh, I wouldn't edit anything, but thought adding to a folder may be ok?

I'm not 100% sure how to ensure the art is "well embedded" into music files before transfer? I don't think I'll be transferring a lot that way anyhow, as I want to keep the X10 lossless and it seems flac is a problem at the mo. Early days tho?

Tempted to try some albums from my Zen via USB, as they all have artwork. I'd be very surprised if that works tho reading the forum. Got a USM keyboard at the ready tho :)

Nige
  16. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, see what you mean.....tip when entering(USB keyboard)......u dont have to re-enter genre/artist/album, if it exist among your repertoire. Just press ENTER (within the field), thus the selection on your MUSIC DB will show - & you can just make your selection - helps.
    Else you might have something like "Miles Davis" & "miles Davis" when u can always select one kind. I think the X10 can differentiate but still........:lesson:
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  17. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Test with just one album......
    Copy to HDD1 (browser section).
    Access via X10. Try to edit tag before coming to MUSIC DB........
    if u can see all the details, then (cool, else......:-( )
  18. Hagar63

Hagar63 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    On the KJ Global site I'm sure the "comparison" page has changed.As in Brennan is now called,"other brand".
    I could be wrong....
  19. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  20. JockinSpain

JockinSpain Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a USB WiFi dongle with software on a CD. My question is how do I load the software into the X10? I have an external CD reader, do I simply add the software to the X10 hard drive (obviously not the music data base), or do I have to do something else?

Any advice much appreciated. :lease:

Jock in Spain
  21. castalla

castalla Member

Ratings:
    +26
    You can't just use any old wifi dongle - even if you have the software. You'd have to modify the linux startup scripts to load and access the dongle.

Easier to just buy the standard module, or search for a cheaper alternative (of the same type) - they do exist.
  22. JockinSpain

JockinSpain Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for your prompt reply, The dongle I have has a 6 DB gain aerial so I was hoping I could use that. Looks like it's back to the shop for a 'standard' dongle :blush:.

Have a nice day,

Jock
  23. ukbazza

ukbazza Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Does anyone know when the next F/W will be released and what may be in it?:)
  24. tea4one

tea4one Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I have the original dongle courtesy of Shaun @ Audio Sanctum - I've simply used a USB extension lead to help gain a better signal (basically to move it away from the plethora of electronics around the stand where my X10 sits). Seems to help - tho I may go down the Homeplug route eventually as transferring files via the network should be quicker, plus get a more reliable connection for the internet radio - which is ace!

A USB keyboard is also a welcome addition for the odd time you have to tag a whole album or do a spot of editing - using the remote drove me mental! :suicide:

Nige
  25. tricky133

tricky133 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I see that, but cannot find how do buy them from your site?> I may be a bit thick :rolleyes:
  26. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    At the top of the page with HDD options click on the down arrow and the dongle option is near the bottom of the list.
  27. ukbazza

ukbazza Member

Ratings:
    +3
    New F/W release posted on Coctail Audio's site
    There are no release notes so no idea what it fixes or enhances.
    Also new Manual, but I have to say I can't tell the difference between the last one and the new one; still some dodgy English and assumed knowledge.
  28. Mahay

Mahay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a message from Kjglobal about the new firmware release R1580 but seems like it's not available for download yet.:facepalm:
  29. ukbazza

ukbazza Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Make sure you go to the .co.uk site not the .com site of coctail audio its only available at cocktailAudio : Firmware Download (we brits must be guinea pigs for it)
    its in unzipped form weighing inat 131Mb. I have just downloaded it so i know you can get to it.
    Still no release notes so applying the update will be a bit like opening a tin can without a label.
    could be a can of beans or a can of worms. Not very professional Coctail Audio - please do better!
  30. Dillinquent

Dillinquent Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I installed the new FW, can't see any difference except a new item in setup/network labelled 'Web Server' which is either on or off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.