1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cocktail Audio X10 Discussion, Part I

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Music Players' started by castalla, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tricky133

tricky133 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sadly yes - the original unit (with non-working r/c) was found by PC. This replacement unit isn't found by any PC. :(
  2. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Have you tried reformatting the HDD? presuming hopefully there is nothing on it yet.
  3. tricky133

tricky133 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes we did that using the remote control functionality, but unfortunately again it made no difference
  4. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome will contact ur company if i need any accessories or a new unit.
    Btw, how did you come up with your company name?
    "sanctum sanctorum" Latin impressive
  5. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah Tricky113, just check the sata connector & format.
    Perhaps ur HDD is faulty - just ask for a collection & replacement.
    No fuss, unit is g8 - things happen.
    For now you could just access the music via the network.
    Bought a few media players that were faulty on arrival thrice.
    Things happen factory hardware/software issue. Just ask for another replacement.
  6. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I'm not sure how we came up with it but sanctum gives the idea of something being pure or sacred and also somewhere that is pure and with the right Hi-Fi system (such as the systems we sell ;) ) music can be a place of sanctum.

Never thought of that, i'll have to remember in case someone else has an issue.
  7. tricky133

tricky133 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the tip, sadly though this isn't the issue and it was housed properly

I was more forgiving when the first unit was delivered faulty. Having had a 2nd unit delivered which also has a major fault is a worrying trend, and bloody frustrating as we paid a lot of money for my gadget I wish to play with!
    Will update when I hear back from the supplier how they opt to rectify this matter
  8. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I'd be interested to know what they say, will you keep us updated?
  9. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Quite sad, cuz i got mine much earlier doing the initial batch, hence ur unit will probably have all the fixes/better hardware.
    No unit is bug free, even Microsoft/apply have BUGS (yet they still sell.....£$Y), for the money spent on other expensive players i owe, the X10 is much cheaper & does more than i could ask for....i feel the only thing they need to work on is the AMP sound (a bit low - looking forward 2 the next FW).
    Have you try using another HDD to see?
    Does the computer make a sound when you plug the unit to the computer?:confused:
  10. Mahay

Mahay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree with you. I think cocktail audio should consider to fix this with the X10 for the next firmware update. And also the ability to sort by "album artist".
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  11. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the sorting issue TRUE.
  12. Dixy

Dixy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Am considering one of these with 2TB drive.

Any advice as to buying without hard drive and buying this separately as this seems cheaper, or is it better to buy complete?

If buying a hard drive separately, what type is best?

Any other advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Have been looking on Amazon, are there any other suppliers?
  13. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    If you can get a 2TB HDD for less than £150.00 (I haven'y checked) then there is no reason not to. The units are usually supplied with Western Digital HDD so they are none too shabby. You need to make sure you get a high spec HDD if you do decide to buy one separately. And just follow the instructions that come with the unit for creating a partition and formatting.

If you do want an alternative supplier then we would be more than happy to oblige:

Cocktail Audio X10 Music Server | Music Server | Audio Sanctum
  14. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Quite frankly i dnt think it matters. You can purchase with the kit or without.
    I got mine with it but i installed a bigger size later, as i purchased it with a 500gb from Germany. Got a better deal here for 2tb so i replaced it.
    Try here the expert Audio Sanctum or Cocktaill Audio Support Forum • Index page :smashin:
    Good luck
  15. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For HDD i prefer the WD cav green/blue less noise, also inserted my 2.5" 500gb worked fine but slot was too big.
    Changed to my 2tb HDD 3.5"
  16. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I wouldn't call ourselves experts on this product yet, it is quite new to us so we are still learning! Looking on eBay you can get a 2TB internal HDD for around 70 notes so is probably worth getting one without a harddrive and fitting it yourself (which is just two connections and a few steps to format)
  17. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ebay??? try a reputable company - returns will be handled well. ebay too many.......ppl.
    try scan.co.uk
  18. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    I was just using it as a reference to prices not suggesting to necessarily buy from there.
  19. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    off course........:)
  20. deeplyblue

deeplyblue Member

Ratings:
    +20
    If you want Samsung Spinpoint:

Samsung HD204UI Spinpoint F4 2TB Hard Drive SATA 5400RPM 32MB Cache - OEM - 3yr
    £55.82 inc vat

or the WD

Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB Hard Drive SATAII 64MB Cache - OEM Caviar Green
    £58.97 inc vat

prices from ebuyer (presumably plus delivery), but not untypical.

Amazon:

Western Digital 2TB SATA 6Gbps Power Saving Internal Hard Drive OEM - Caviar Green
    £59.73 (free delivery)

Should one use a faster HDD than the 5400rpm Samsung?

Does the Cocktail Audio take bigger HDD than 2TB (not that I think anything bigger will be needed, but if we have to go for wav files, then space becomes an issue quite quickly.)

db
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  21. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    At the moment the firmware will only accept upto 2TB HDD however as more bigger HDD's become available they will update the firmware accordingly. Even if you store the CD's in WAV format a 2TB HDD will hold around 2,600 CD's.

I would use a 7200RPM if possible, the higher the spec the better.
  22. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Audio Sanctum, do u think cocktail X10 will support AIFF? even though Wav is akin?
    I know it supports AAC, ALAC, FLAC & all major....
    Agreed would stick to 7200 & 64mb or 32mb ok too.. WD cav better less heat & noise.
  23. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    There's nothing I can in the specs about it supporting AIFF at the moment but there's nothing stopping them from bringing out an update in firmware later down the line that might enable it. I can check for you with the cocktail tech guys.
  24. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    g8 thank you.
  25. rogerh

rogerh Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I was on the point of buying one of these units, but this is a real concern.
    I transferred all my vinyl collection onto MiniDisc before realising I'd chosen the wrong way to go!.
    I have a Sharp MiniDisc unit SD-NX10H which works fine but I'm looking to transfer everything from the MiniDisc either via the System Out twin RCA socket or the Headphone jack socket. There's no easy way.
    I've sold all the vinyl (mistake).
    I'm also looking to add in my cds.

I don't want to go down another road which may be a problem and if these cocktail units are proving to be poor quality in manufacture then perhaps I should wait and see.
    I'm looking forward to hearing other users experiences and your update from your supplier.
  26. chammyKobs

chammyKobs New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For me, i don't think its poorly made - g8 kit.
    They are always releasing FW updates, other expensive kits like the olive & Brenan are not user friendly & too expensive. I think X10 could do with internat radio improvements with additional on demand service on all BBC not just some (depends on service provider though).
  27. tricky133

tricky133 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Update

Supplier advises they have never heard of this issue, profuse apologies, and unit has been sent back today and we await the return of a new replacemnt.

3rd time lucky??
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  28. indieana

indieana Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got an X10 this week. I'm having a lot of trouble setting it up but I have managed to put a few Cds on the hard drive (WAV format). Can't say I am too impressed with the sound quality. I have connected the X10 to my amp and I think the CDs sounded better played through the amp from an audio CD player. Not sure it is right to call the X10 a HiFi system.
  29. Member 476511

Member 476511 Member

Ratings:
    +38
    It's interesting to hear your comments, we have to admit considering the price of the unit we were very impressed with and we have hooked it up to both modest and expensive equipment, what do you fell is missing, how are you conecting it?

Shaun
  30. Mahay

Mahay Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm!!! What kind of amp and CD player did you use? How did you hook up the X10 with the amp?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.