1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaxial (Cable TV) Cable to Cat5 converter?

Discussion in 'CAT5 Cabling' started by Donkel, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Donkel

Donkel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

When we had cable TV fitted, the engineer ran one line of coaxial cable to the set top box in the lounge and another coaxial cable to the spare room so we could set up the broadband connection that room.

I now want to move the modem into the lounge so that I can connect it to a media PC but also to keep the other computer connected in the spare room. I can't use wireless as it won't connect. Does anyone know if there is a converter/switch which has a cat5 input and a coaxial output so that I can keep the existing coaxial cable in place and run the broadband connection down it to the second computer and then have a second switch to convert it back?
  2. andykn

andykn Member

Ratings:
    +251
    Ethernet nowadays usually runs over CAT 5 twisted pair cabling, this is 10Base-T (or 100Base-T or 1000Base-T depending on the speed). There is another implemantation, called 10Base-2 that uses 50 ohm coaxial cable and BNC connectors.

For the computer in the bedroom you'd need an ethernet card with a 10Base-2 BNC connector. To this you'd connect a BNC T piece that has a 50 ohm BNC terminator on one arm of the T piece and the coax cable with a BNC plug on the other arm.

At the other end you'll need a DSL/Cable router and connect the Cat5 ethernet to the WAN side of this. You'll then need a 10Base-T to 10Base-2 converter and another terminator.

The network card should be easy enough to come by (look for an old 'combo' card) on ebay. Not quite so sure about the converter. The cable may be 'the wrong sort of coax'., 75 ohm is more usual for TV type stuff, I don't know what Cable operators use or if it will work.

I'd have another look at the wireless route - did you try more than one wireless channel? If someone else is using the one your wireless hub was set to it may cause it to fail.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1