Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clean System

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by niccam, Aug 3, 2006.

1. niccam

niccam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everybody going to wipe my computer over the hoildays and re-install my OS XP and a few programs back on again have all the discs, by doing this I need to ask a few questions
    1. will this get rid of all the cxxp [internet cookies , popups, unwanted desk top icons ] etc.
    2. have another 2 hard drives will all the information be safe on them or will I need to install them again as I can remember I had a bit of bother setting them up the 1st time
    3. is there anything I need to save before starting?
    4. what about all the windows updates I have received?
    5. any tips or advice would be nice

Thank you niccam
  2. Jowl

Jowl Member

Ratings:
    +30
    1. Yes, if you format you hard drive in new WinXP setup

2. If they just contain your data (mp3, documents etc) then they will be fine (as long as don't alter/format partition in setup!). If your other drives are the location of installed programs then you will have to re-install them when you have your new Win Xp install

3. e-mail? Favourites? Any save game data?

4. Any Windows updates will be wiped. You can just re-download them (could take a LONG time) or use a program called Autopatcher (just make sure Service Pack 2 Is Installed first)

5. No problem :D :smashin:
  3. niccam

niccam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jowl when you say MAKE SURE SERVICE PACK 2 IS INSTALL FIRST is that after I install XP again and before windows download updates begins
    Thanks again

Sorry Jowl Forget this I understand you now
  4. Jowl

Jowl Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Yep - Install Windows first (it may have SP2 already integrated)

so..

1. Install Windows
    2. Install Service pack 2 (download direct from Microsoft website or use windows update)

The trouble is, windows update might have a LOT of files to update - so it will take a long time (and use a fair amount of bandwidth)

If you use the autopatcher program I mentioed, it contains all the windows updates to date in one package - saving you having to do the Windows Update 'manually'. Always saves me loads of time.
  5. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Active Member

Ratings:
    +528
  6. Jowl

Jowl Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Use Nlite - it's great :smashin:
  7. niccam

niccam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info, as said before it will be a couple of weeks before I try this Thanks for your tips Yours, John
  8. geewhizz

geewhizz Member

Ratings:
    +81
    Remember to install antivirus software ( I use avast its free ) and a popup blocker.

Also remember to backup all your photo's and music.:lesson:
    I wiped my computer last week and forgot about my music :rolleyes:
    But it was on my ipod so just flipped it back on to my computer :D
  9. DisguisedCoot

DisguisedCoot Member

Ratings:
    +89
    i have a similar problem, my HDD is about to die on its ar*e. most of my programs were downloaded free, but xp was pre installed on my pc.
    What are my options for a re install?
  10. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    What make of PC? Do you have a Windows Product Key sticker?

If you have no CDs and no sticker your system probably isn't legally licensed anyway, and you'll have to buy a new OS.
  11. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,504
    Wow, thanks for the autopatcher link

My laptop isn't due for another week, but I'd rather get a head start on downloading updates. So question, under the "full download", I take it those items under add-ons are optional? I suspect so, but would still like to know :D
  12. DisguisedCoot

DisguisedCoot Member

Ratings:
    +89
    its a Compaq, has the windows product key on the side.
  13. Jowl

Jowl Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Yes, they are optional!
  14. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    Then you'll probably need a Compaq OEM CD of Windows XP.

Some manufacturers have a hidden partition on the hard disk which contains all the Windows XP files. Does you manual mention anything about this 'recovery partition'?
  15. DisguisedCoot

DisguisedCoot Member

Ratings:
    +89
    yes, i have used the recovery once already
  16. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    Use something like Norton Ghost oR TrueImage to copy your HDD to a new one, and then use the recovery option to reinstall Windows if necessary.
  17. miceri

miceri Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Generally pop-ups/virii etc store themselves within program/system files... However, you may have have file(s) in your personal data that contain crap like this.

So, when you have installed antivirus/spyware apps do a very thorough clean/search/detection. Otherwise, you run the risk that it could happen all over again :(

//miceri
  18. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies Active Member

Ratings:
    +211
    iyf you clean it all out and then use the same settings as before then the crap/pop-ups etc will reappear. Only a matter of time/ probably a short time at that.

unless you want this to be a regular occurence you need to tighten up your settings/software choices.

Of course if have already tightened then up and just want to delete the detritus from prior then all okay....
  19. niccam

niccam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Well the time has come to do the Clean the System but I've hit a problem right away I have the OS XP disk but there is no restore disk and when I put in the Windows XP disk it says the Version that I have already install is newer so it won't let me install. I have another computer that has a restore disk which will take you back to factory settings which what I want but because I've no restore disk I cant do it? I have read up on the internet and there is a couple of ways of doing it but seems tricky. I even bought a XP Boot disk but when i put It in [I've checked in BIOS] it won't boot up because the settings does not even list my 3 cd/dvd drives to do the boot and there no option to pick them? Is there any handy way of getting a CLEAN INSTALL of XP on the computer [tips, hints, work around] Thanks for any help

UPDATE : I see MS does a floppy disk version of a XP boot will try this tomorrow night but will appreciate any more help
  20. The Dude

The Dude Active Member

Ratings:
    +270
    you just need to boot from the windows XP CD, you can't run XP setup with XP already running ;)

make sure in your BIOS that CD is set as the first boot device, or if there is a 'boot menu' hotkey (usually F10, F12 etc) then you can use that to choose boot from CD.

Put the XP CD in, reboot the PC, boot from CD, and away you go.. :)
  21. niccam

niccam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats part of the problem, In BIOS don't have the option to boot from CD [have 3 in total] all that is shown is the floppy and my 3 harddrives.
    Microsoft has an option to boot from Floppy [ 4 ] down loaded it last night will try tonight. Any other thoughts as why my cds is not there to pick as to BOOT. Thanks
  22. niccam

niccam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tried the floppy version which was down loaded from Microsoft [6 floppies]
    Did the Boot with floppy inserted and everything was OK until 4 floppy when got a message saying usbccgp.sys corupt and had to abort and restart computer which was OK. Anybody any ideas Thanks
  23. Steve.J.Davies

Ratings:
    +211
    what mobo and what bios version.

Pcs been able to boot from cd for years now - unless this is quite an old box (which would probably die trying to run XP) you may want to get the Cd access sorted.

I take it you can access the CDs in normal operation.

You checked for a BIOS virus (they do exist).

Or tried upgrading your BIOS in case its is fried in some way.
  24. niccam

niccam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve

the computer is working Ok just want to do a clean install and keep it off the internet to stop the junk. Its about 3 years old has XP on from new, AMD 2600, 1026 ram, 3 cd/dvd drives and 3 harddrives, I want the clean install for editing only and internet free again
    Thanks

Added: Bios V P2.20 and motherboard is ASROCK K7S8x
  25. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Active Member

Ratings:
    +528
    Did you make sure that the boot order is set to boot from a CD/DVD drive first (it makes no difference that you have three)? It sounds like to may not have done that correctly, as the boot sequence order should allow you to at least have the option to from a CD/DVD drive first.

Assuming you have done that correctly, I would guess that the BIOS must at least be acknowledging there is a disc in one of the drives during the boot up. Try tapping the space bar during this point and see if that makes any difference or allows you to boot from the CD. Different BIOS/mobo's have different ways of dealing with bootable CD/DVDs.

The bit that concerns me is that you appear to be trying to reinstall Windows using a pre-SP2 CD. You really should slipstream SP2 into your Windows installation CD in order to make the reinstalling Windows much easier and more secure. Using nLite is probably the easiest way to do this:

http://www.nliteos.com/

http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_slipstream.htm
  26. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    With respect to the Original Poster; if he can't get a PC to boot from CD then he certainly won't be able to slipstream a service pack into an installation CD! :D

It's very odd the there is no option to boot from CD in the BIOS! Can you temporarily disconnect one of your hard disks to see if that makes a difference?

After changing the boot order in the BIOS (CD, then HDD, floppy) try starting the PC with the XP disk in each of your 3 CD-ROM drives in turn. Look for the 'Press any key to boot from CD-ROM" prompt.
  27. PlexShaw

PlexShaw Active Member

Ratings:
    +528
    Hence why I was providing an easy to understand guide on how to do just that. ;)
  28. Steve.J.Davies

Ratings:
    +211
    DOn't know that mobo but it likes like people boot from CD on it okay.
    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=b...as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&as_rights=&safe=images

Is Boot Failure Guard doing something...

Also have seen machines with multiple optical drives that will only boot from one of them - depending on strapping.

Does POST have a Boot menu chioce so ypou can pick any device - such as USB sticks etc.

This no option to boot from CD is weird. What does the mobo handbook say about it ? does it show that it should be possible ? My guess is that manual will say yes. the mobo not an ancient one.
  29. niccam

niccam Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right, I have found out why I don't have CD boot option all the cd drives are connected via a IDE RAID PCI CONTROLLER card so swap the cd with 2 of the hard drives and I now can pick a cd boot only now the 2 hard dives are not seen.
    When I first boot up my orginal system there was an IDE scan which would have found the cd drives now there's none ?
    Put the set-up back the way it was and the IDE scan does not happen how can I get th PCI card to do the IDE scan and find either the hard drives or CD drives what ever way I pick. Thanks for your interest and help
  30. Steve.J.Davies

Ratings:
    +211
    Not giving you the shuffle but ASROCK web site has forums. Much more likely to get a direct hit there I reckon.... (they have Bios up tp 2.54 now I think I saw BTW)

Would be interesting to know what it is.