Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Classic Doctor Who on DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by rojgelf, Jul 12, 2011.

1. tim68

tim68 Member

Ratings:
    +66
    I understand that Trial might not be to everyones liking but i like the court room scenes and think those parts show off Colin Baker at his best during his time on the show.

has Zygons ever been anounced for dvd ?

Tim
  2. brian s

brian s Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,329
    Yes Colin's scenes with Michael Jayston as the Valeyard were often very good but the way they handled Peri's exit and the fact that we got Mel helped ruin what could've been an excellent series. The overall concept was excellent.

I've not heard anything about a release for Zygons. I'm ok as I still have my Laserdisc of this one. Here's a good site for Who DVD news.

Doctor Who News: DVD

Bri
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    This probably isn't the best place for this and it has been posted in the Final Curtain thread but I thought a special mention should be made regarding the passing of Philip Madoc. He's almost certainly best remembered for his excellent appearance in Dads Army but he appeared several times in Dr Who.

Dad's Army - Don't Tell Him Pike - YouTube

His was in the 1966 film Daleks: Invasion Earth 2150AD, and he also featured in the TV stories The Krotons, The War Games, The Brain of Morbius and The Power of Kroll.

BBC News - Philip Madoc of Lloyd George and Dad's Army fame dies

Sad news
    Bri
  4. soundstory

soundstory Active Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Very sad, Brain of Morbius has been one of the few Doctor Who DVDs I've bought at full price, cracking story & Madoc was superb in it
  5. Theo Maxtible

Theo Maxtible Member

Ratings:
    +86
    I got around to watching the DVD release of "Day of the Daleks" this last week. Last weekend I watched the Special Edition first in two parts (i.e. parts 1 & 2 togther - and then parts 3 & 4), and then last night the "original" version.

What a spectacular job has been done with the new effects on the Special Edition! Highly impressive - and it all fits very well, and for me at least, is an improvement over the original. I must say though, what a wonderful job the Restoration Team have done all round with improving picture and audio on the whole release. I hope that something is done with "Death to the Daleks" when it comes out, even if just to the Dalek voices.
  6. rojgelf

rojgelf Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Now daemens, face of evil and eden have been released only 2 up for preorder, so there must be some more announced soon, any one got any new on what else is next?

Ace Adventures boxset (dragon fire / happiness patrol) (7/5/2012)
    DEATH TO THE DALEKS (18/6/2012)

I'm progressing through Pertwee in order, just watch sea devils - I had to miss out daemens, mind of evil and ambassadors of death, and skipped day of daleks and dalek war because I had watched them recently. I must say I'm really enjoying it, hardly any weak stories, and the extensive use of the Master or earth exile hasn't got tedious (I did miss 2 master stories out though).

Mutants is next :)
  7. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    Michael Troughtonsaid that he had recently recorded a commentary on the life of his father to be included as a feature for The Ice Warriors. It's not known when or in what form this will be released.

Also a documentry The Show Must Go On has been made as an extra for The Greatest Show In The Galaxy. Again no release details are known.

Bri
  8. rojgelf

rojgelf Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
    I really hope Ice warriors, 10th planet and Moonbase are recreated like the Invasion, I think they are missing 2, 1 and 2 episodes respectively - but all audio survives, I'm sure all would sell.

I watched the two yeti stories on the lost in time set recently and would love to see all of those but with only 1 episode surviving from each story I think we'll just have to hope another turns up.

when are we going to get these complete stories though:
    AMBASSADORS OF DEATH
    THE MIND OF EVIL
    TERROR OF THE ZYGONS
  9. rojgelf

rojgelf Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
  10. HummerUK

HummerUK Member

Ratings:
    +131
    70+ episodes of classic Doctor Who are now on Netflix.

Just watching Worlds End with William Hartnell.

HummerUK
  11. rojgelf

rojgelf Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Also Colony in space is £8.39 at base, this one has taken an age to drop, I ended up renting from lovefilm so I could continue watching second pertwee season.

Buy Doctor Who - Colony In Space DVD
  12. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    At £20 I can do without the slipcase.

Bri
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    I have to confess I know nothing about Netflix other than what I've seen on the TV ad. Is the quality up to DVD and Blu standards? Being able to get Who makes it interesting.

Bri
  14. HummerUK

HummerUK Member

Ratings:
    +131
    If you have a compatible device you can try a months free trial.

Quality of these Doctor Who's I guess equals the DVD releases assuming your Internet connection is fast enough.

No extras of course, just the episodes.

HummerUK
  15. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    I have a PS3 which I haven't used in a while.

Bri
  16. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    Death To The Daleks Special Features

•Commentary - With actors Julian Fox (Peter Hamilton), Dalek operator Cy Town, director Michael E Briant, assistant floor manager Richard Leyland, costume designer L Rowland Warne and special sounds maestro Dick Mills. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.
    •Beneath the City of the Exxilons - Cast and crew look back on the making of this story. With actor Arnold Yarrow (Bellal), Julian Fox, Michael E Briant, Richard Leyland, L Rowland Warne and fan and Dalek voice artist Nick Briggs.
    •Studio Recording - A rare glimpse into the production of a Third Doctor story.
    •On the Set of Dr Who and the Daleks - Behind the scenes on the first Dalek film in 1965.
    •Doctor Who Stories – Dalek Men
    •Radio Times listings
    •Programme subtitles
    •Production information subtitles
    •Photo gallery
    •Coming Soon trailer
    •Digitally remastered picture and sound quality
  17. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    After an age my copy of Earth Story has arrived. On a day when I'm going to be too busy to start watching it.

:(
    Bri
  18. nipbiplip

nipbiplip Active Member

Ratings:
    +384
    Another satisfied Zavvi customer
  19. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    HMV. I got it for a tenner which I'm chuffed with. When I got to the checkout they offered me a few deals. One of them was a Blu-Ray for a fiver so I caved in and ordered that too. The BD turned up 2 or 3 days ago. I'd rarther had it the other way round.

Bri
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  20. nipbiplip

nipbiplip Active Member

Ratings:
    +384
    Fair do's
  21. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    We watched the first two episodes of The Gunfighters last night. We were both knackered but they were still great fun. I hated all the historical episodes as a kid when they were first broadcast. I wanted monsters, Daleks and spaceships but on rewatch so many of the historical stories are way better than the sci-fi tales. This one is played mainly for laughs so shouldn't be taken seriously.

I was very worried about the picture quality to begin with. The image was very blurry and a bit like Blu-Ray judder when the horsemen ride into town. The DVD doesn't cope with the rapid movement very well at all but the episodes were fine after that.

Bri
  22. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    Episode three of the Gunfighters tonight. Great stuff. Hartnell is clearly struggling with his lines but still giving a damn good performance. Despite his age and illness he's doing very well. If it had been filmed then maybe editing could've given us a great Hartnell legacy.

Bri
  23. rojgelf

rojgelf Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
    3 more up for pre-order:
    THE KROTONS (2/7/2012)
    GREATEST SHOW IN THE GALAXY (30/7/2012)
    PLANET OF THE GIANTS (20/8/2012)

Leaves 3 complete ones to be announced, unfortunately of the 6 they are the 3 I most want to see!
    Ambassadors of death
    Mind of evil
    Zygons

Any news of reconstruction of any of the incomplete stories?

BTW just finished time monster so that's first 3 season or Pertwee watched (bar Ambassadors of death, Mind of evil and Daemens) I thought time monster was the weakest so far. Started ok but once in Atlantis got a bit boring.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  24. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Active Member

Ratings:
    +238
    I'm eagerly awaiting Terror of the Zygons and Shada to complete my Tom Baker collection. C'mon, hurry up, please!
  25. CERBERUS40000

CERBERUS40000 Member

Ratings:
    +145
    is it just me or have these shot up in price on Amazon? £9.99 for The Visitation lol jog on Amazon, it was £5 a few months ago and a very early release in the series to start with
  26. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,570
    Had a package arrive at work yesterday that seems to have been shipped to us by mistake but there is no return address and the courier has no idea who it's from so we decided to open it up incase there was info inside and it was full of Doctor Who DVD's, must have been at least 20 of them and they were all from the 60s.

Tempted to bring one home each night as I have never seen any of the black and white Doctor Who, might get through the all before they are claimed lol
  27. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    You lucky begger.

:)
    Bri
  28. WhoFan95

WhoFan95 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Apparently Ambassadors of Death has been scheduled for a release in September 2012 which i am very pleased to hear.
    Also does anyone have any information on a possible Moonbase reanimation and release I heard somewhere about this being in a possible box set with Tenth Planet. Moonbase containing the recently discovered Underwater Menace Episode and Tenth Planet with the Galaxy Four episode or was I wrong and just being hopefull?
    DVDs & videos @ The TARDIS Library (Doctor Who books, DVDs, videos & audios)
    Scroll down to the bottom.
  29. rojgelf

rojgelf Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,210
    Moonbase and 10th planet are prime reconstruction candidates, they are top of my list with Ice warriors. Plus they must do something with these 2 found episodes.
  30. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,329
    Welcome to the Forums. Great to have another Who fan here. I understand that there are plans to release the two recently discovered lost episodes on DVD but nothing solid so far as far as I'm aware.

Bri