Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Classic Brit horror on Blu-Ray (Hammer, Amicus, Tigon etc)'

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by gitsurfer, Dec 9, 2011.

1. soundstory

soundstory Active Member

Ratings:
    +206

I finally got around to watching BBC2's xmas showing of the Gorgon yesterday, quite enjoyed it.

Christopher Lee looked like Jack MacGowran in The Fearless Vampire Killers (I LOVE that film!!).
  2. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +272
    Announcement from Hammer re: Dracula Prince of Darkness replacement discs:

Notice from StudioCanal UK regarding faulty Dracula Prince Of Darkness Blu-ray/DVD Double-Play discs:

"We recently discovered a small audio synch issue within a couple of scenes of the Dracula Prince Of Darkness discs that were released on the 5th of March.

This problem occurred at the authoring stage where a fix was not implemented despite being supplied.
    With this in mind we will be replacing any discs that have this issue present.

Please send your proof of payment and your address to enquiries@vdcgroup.com and we will endeavour to send a working replacement to you promptly."

Glad to hear that they have located the problem and will be sorting it out. Annoying that this sort of thing happens but credit to them for acting quickly.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. Hades

Hades Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,125
    Oh dear, me thinks someone will be getting serious ticking off over this.
  4. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +272
    No new post but Hammer have caught up with replying to comments on their HD restoration blog:

Hammer restoration blog

Quite a few interesting updates on their search for lost/censored material
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  5. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Just found this I only watched 5 minutes so for but will have to watch it all, Barbara Shelley lovely lady I always been a fan of hers and even though people say Barbara Steele or Ingred Pitt are the queen on horror, Miss Shelleys my queen.

6. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,575
    I notice The Mummy is in 'phase 2'. Great news.
  7. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,575
  8. Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson Member

Ratings:
    +79
    I just received my pre-ordered 'Dracula-Prince of Darkness' this morning from Zavvi. Due to the nearly 2 week delay, I had hopes that I'd be receiving the corrected version with no audio sync issues. Sadly, that was not the case. You'd have to be blind not to notice the problem, so I'll have to contact Studio Canal for a replacement disc.
    Hi ho.

Alan
  9. Emjel

Emjel Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I sent them an email with Proof of Purchase just over a week ago 7th March to get a replacement disc. Heard nothing so far - not even an acknowledgement
  10. greenforehead

greenforehead Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sent 3 emails over the last week or so and like you not even a sniff of a reply
  11. John Hodson

John Hodson Active Member

Ratings:
    +387
    They aren't replying to *anyone*; apparently it will be mid-April before replacements are ready to be shipped - patience will have to be the watchword.
  12. Emjel

Emjel Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Then they need to be prepared for customers sending in follow-up emails. Terrible customer service!!!
  13. Roy4253

Roy4253 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Anyone any news of 'Twins of Evil' - surely the most wanted!;)
  14. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +272
    I think a US version is coming this summer, though it has already had delays. Will probably be region A locked and it looks (from the Hammer blog) as though they don't have any rights for a UK release.
  15. John Hodson

John Hodson Active Member

Ratings:
    +387
    'Twins' is part of the ITV catalogue and was licensed out for DVD release to Network; it could still come from them. Hammer appears to be working with Studio Canal, Warner and, *I think*, Paramount. They're not working with ITV, Universal or Sony and it's up to them to join the BD party if they wish to do so - they can either release the titles they hold themselves, or license out.
  16. brian s

brian s Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,276
    I doubt if they have enough resources to deal with this as we might expect. I had a very small involvement with Hammer in the 70s and their back stage organisation wasn't the first thing on their mind. They made the films first and most/all of the paperwork was left till the end. If the people in charge now are in the same mindset then we may get results to correct the problems before they use their meagre resources to reply to each complaint.

Bri
  17. greenforehead

greenforehead Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To be fair though a simple automatic email response would be nice and very quick an easy to set up. It doesn't take a lot to acknowledge your customer
  18. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,276
    No arguement there but that kind of reinforces what I said. If they are anything like the original organisation you won't get anything like that from them.

Bri
  19. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +272
    New update on the Hammer restoration blog here:

Hammer restoration blog

The latest post deals with the issues of creating a BD for Dracula Prince of Darkness (shot in Techniscope) and including the Dracula flashback, shot in full 35mm. It details the process and thinking behind what they did for the new BD as well as announcing that, as a result of feedback from Hammer fans, they have redone the flashback scene using an alternative technique to gain a better result. It won't be possible to attain perfection for this film but we should have an improvement. This improved version will be on the new discs (along with the correction to the sound synch issue) and should be ready sometime in April.

Hats off to Hammer, I say. Their inclusive approach to the whole project is commendable and it's really heartening to see they are ready to act on feedback when they might just as easily have played the 'too late/not economically viable' card.
  20. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +272
    Another restoration blog update here:

Hammer restoration blog

Mainly dealing with progress on the Rasputin restoration but also talks about Curese of Frankenstein as well as the forthcoming releases of The Reptile and The Plague of the Zombies.
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  21. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +272
    The Reptile and Plague of the Zombies have dropped a bit in price today. Now £13.99 each rather than £15.99 for preorder on both Amazon and HMV. Would post links but am using phone to post this.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  22. DICKIEDUVET

DICKIEDUVET Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,016
    I'll be 'avin both of those, Thanks for the heads up ;) :smashin:
  23. lasereraser

lasereraser Active Member

Ratings:
    +629
    Cheers mate, ordered now.
  24. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +272
    The Reptile and Plague of the Zombies now due 28th May. 3 weeks longer to wait but the early signs are good. Perhaps the delay has been caused by the fixes they are doing for Dracula: POD.

Watched the BD of Quatermass and the Pit yesterday. Splendid disc and whetted the appetite for the forthcoming titles.
  25. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,276
    I have to buy that one. I even loved my LD version in a Hammer boxed set when it was on two sides of a different disc. The Blu should be brilliant.

Bri
  26. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +272
    Dracula: Prince of Darkness - An update from Studio Canal:

We are pleased to announce that the reworked edition of Dracula Prince of Darkness DVD and Blu-ray double play will be ready on Monday 30th April.

If you have already contacted VDC then your copy will be dealt with as a priority. If not please email the following address with proof of purchase and they will be able to send out a replacement disc to you.

Email - enquiries@vdcgroup.com

We apologise for the time it has taken to inform you of this date but we needed to be sure that all of the work has been done to the highest possible standard. We thank you for your continued patience in this matter and we hope you enjoy your news discs upon delivery.
  27. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +272
    According to Hammer, the delay is indeed a knock-on effect of the DPOD fixes. They say they have also been ensuring that Reptile and POTZ are as good as they can make them but don't mention any specific issues that may have added to the delay.
  28. brian s

Ratings:
    +2,276
    Will new buyers have any way of telling if they're getting the corrected version?

Bri
  29. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +272
    I believe they were all fully recalled so major suppliers such as Amazon shouldn't have any of the faulty stock. I saw mention that there would be a way of telling the faulty and corrected versions apart but nothing has been confirmed.

I have the faulty set and am awaiting the corrected ones from Studio Canal. I will post whether I can see a difference or not in what is printed on the discs in due course.
  30. Emjel

Emjel Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I still have not received any acknowledgement from VDC Group that they have received my PoP for the faulty disc even after a month