Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Classic Brit horror on Blu-Ray (Hammer, Amicus, Tigon etc)'

Discussion in 'Blu-rays, DVDs & Streaming Services' started by gitsurfer, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,209
    Nope. Had a quick look at this and it does look quite (unintentionally) funny!

I know I keep going on about the house but thats the bit I remember most - its a very big sort of one-floor designer house that must have looked very futuristic at the time but probably looks a bit crap now! :D
  2. soundstory

soundstory Active Member

Ratings:
    +208
    I don't think it's From Beyond The Grave, it's one of my absolute fav's though I don't recall a Voodoo Doll in it
  3. Garrett

Garrett Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,634
    There is but not the animated type its in the segment with Ian Bannan and Donald Pleasence SPOILER
    when its cut it killed Diana Dors and later on on the wedding cake the grooms figure is cut and kills him.
  4. the caretaker

the caretaker Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Tempted by this, but are there any comparison caps anywhere and are there any English-friendly extras, please ?

Thanks
  5. norliss

norliss Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Sadly, the screen captures for the forthcoming Dracula Prince of Darkness don't look too great:

homecinema.thedigitalfix.com

Looks like someone's gone nuts with the DVNR gun again :(
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  6. captainarchive

captainarchive Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,776
    Nice set of extras:

"Studio Canal have officially announced and detailed their upcoming Double Play edition of Terence Fisher's Dracula: Prince of Darkness (1966), starring Christopher Lee, Barbara Shelley, and Andrew Keir. The film will be available for purchase online and in shops across the United Kingdom on March 5th.

Special Features:

Commentary featuring Christopher Lee, Suzan Farmer, Francis Matthews & Barbara Shelley
    • World of Hammer episode "Hammer Stars: Christopher Lee"
    • Back to Black
    • Super 8mm Behind the Scenes footage
    • Restoration comparison
    • Trailer
    • Double bill Trailer
    • Original USA Titles
    • Orginal
    Print UK Theatrical Titles
    "
  7. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    A little worrying. However, this point is addressed on the official Hammer restoration blog:

Finally, there have been several posts here and elsewhere regarding screen grabs from DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS suggesting over-use of DNR and lack of grain. We can assure you all that when you see the film in motion you will definitely see plenty of grain! It isn’t really possible to draw conclusions from low-res JPEG screen grabs, however we can state that the DNR used on the restoration was very light indeed, only on a handful of scenes, and only when absolutely necessary. We can also state that there were no blanket noise-reduction filters used at any point during restoration. Any loss of focus and fading on the picture as presented on the Blu-ray is due to the age of the scanned materials rather than DVNR or the use of filters.

Time will tell, of course, and I think I'll be getting this Blu regardless. Incidentally, although this blog has only been around for a short while, it is proving to be excellent. Informative and responsive to comments.
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  8. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,665
    Many thanks for that.

Whilst we won't know until we see the disc, it's pretty clear from that message that they're bothered about PQ. They clearly know what DNR is, what it isn't, what it should be used for and what it shouldn't.

They've responded quickly to the concerns, and want to let people know that what we've seen isn't what the film will look like.

They've done this in the full knowledge that the people who it'd bother will be waiting for reviews from trusted sites before purchasing the title, and paying particular attention to the areas mentioned.

I can see no point in them doing this if those caps were accurate after all. In the short, but colourful history of HD home video I don't think I've ever seen a studio respond like that to this sort of concern. They usually just ignore it.

Whilst I'll still be waiting to see how the disc looks, this has set my mind at rest a little.

Steve W
  9. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    They also note that work on The Reptile and The Plague of the Zombies is now done and these are set for release on 7th May.
    Work has started on The Devil Rides Out, Rasputin the Mad Monk, and the Mummy's Shroud.
  10. norliss

norliss Member

Ratings:
    +125
    I've never known screen caps wildly out-of-kilter with what eventually shows up although I was surprised and pleased that they addressed this issue in their blog entry. All we can do is wait and see what turns up and hope for the best.

If they do as good a job with all these forthcoming titles as they did with QATP then we'll be happy. If not, I have the "Ultimate Hammer" DVD set that Optimum put out and will not be buying any titles that are not a stellar upgrade.
  11. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch Active Member

Ratings:
    +534
    Oh my, I think I've got the vapours with that news:cool:
  12. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Was the 1980s Hammer House of Horror and its lesser known Hammer House of Mystery & Suspense (loved the one about the doll's house) filmed on 33mm or video, does anyone know? I've been watching some re-runs of some old favourites, including The Two Faces of Evil, on Sky's Horror channel and was on the verge of picking up the DVD boxset for a tenner when I realised there's a chance it might come out on BD and look a bit better? Is that wishful thinking? It looks very soft on Sky and lacks subtitles. Should I wait or buy the DVD boxset?
  13. sugarbuzz

sugarbuzz Member

Ratings:
    +69
  14. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Thanks sugarbuzz. So BDs of both series would be a definite possibility then?
  15. mazon27091

mazon27091 Member

Ratings:
    +31
    The Hammer House of Horror series was mentioned as coming to blu-ray, don't think it was in the UK though (in fact I think it was Synapse in the US.)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. DICKIEDUVET

DICKIEDUVET Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,030
    It's being worked on by Synapse at the mo, Updates can be found on their blog. I won't link because thier site has plenty of NSFW material :rolleyes:
  17. Manfonse

Manfonse Member

Ratings:
    +5
    It will be cool to see some hammer stuffing blu.
  18. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,665
    Does anyone know where we are with who owns what?

Do SC now have the rights to all the Hammers in the UK?

Steve W
  19. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    It's a knotty one, this. They have noted that Warner Bros are about to begin 4k scanning of The Mummy and The Curse of Frankenstein for UK Blu-Ray release. Presumably, these will be WB releases rather than StudioCanal. They have also noted that much depends on the performance of the forthcoming StudioCanal titles so perhaps other companies are taking a 'wait and see' approach.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Just seen the new version of Dracula at the Old Vic Tunnels underneath Waterloo station. It included the new/lost footage found in Japan. There are two bits, the first of which has a very noticable drop in picture quality. However, it does add something to the scene.
    A chap from Hammer said they were aiming for an autumn BD release and they did some filming for the extras.
    The last three reels of the Japanese version will be included (unrestored) as an extra.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  21. mazon27091

mazon27091 Member

Ratings:
    +31
    No seemless branching option...come on Hammer.
  22. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
  23. kdwg1308

kdwg1308 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    can't wait for the devil rides out. interesting to see a few people liking lost contenent as they are both based on books by dennies wheatley, as is to the devil a daughter but any wheatley fan will not want to remember that!
  24. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Gone for the double bill Blu-Ray of 'The man who could cheat death' (Hammer) and 'The skull' (Amicus). US region free set via Amazon Marketplace for £8.49 all in. Looks like a good deal.
  25. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Latest news on the Hammer restoration blog and the 'lost' footage they are hoping to locate here: Hammer restoration blog

They also mention some previously unannounced titles for the next phase of the project.

List of Phase 2 titles:
    THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN
    THE MUMMY
    FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL
    CAPTAIN KRONOS VAMPIRE HUNTER (no missing footage known)
    RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK
    THE DEVIL RIDES OUT (no missing footage known)
    THE MUMMY’S SHROUD (no missing footage known)
    THE VIKING QUEEN
    THE VENGEANCE OF SHE (no missing footage known)
    SLAVE GIRLS (no missing footage known)
    THE WITCHES (no missing footage known)

Some odd choices here, I think. Nothing is confirmed as to when these might appear but I'd be concerned that poor sales of some of these might jeopardise potential releases of better films.

I haven't seen on official list of phase 1 titles but I would assume that, in addition to titles already released, we are looking at Dracula: Prince of Darkness (March) The Reptile, The Plague of the Zombies (both May) and Dracula (Autumn).
    • Thanks Thanks x 4
  26. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch Active Member

Ratings:
    +534
    One I enjoyed in my youth was 'The Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires' - no idea how it would hold up today, but it was one I watched a fair few times many moons ago.
  27. brian s

brian s Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,326
    It was a favourite of mine too. It's not too long since I rewatched it on DVD and I still throughly enjoyed it.

Bri
  28. John Hodson

John Hodson Active Member

Ratings:
    +388
  29. John Hodson

John Hodson Active Member

Ratings:
    +388
    There are plenty of users reporting sound synch issues with Dracula Prince of Darkness; very few reviews make an issue of it, but this one does and mentioned at Melon Farmers
  30. gitsurfer

gitsurfer Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Was reading about this yesterday morning and it is a little worrying. Seems to be a widely reported problem for something that hasn't often been picked up in reviews. My copy is still on the way from Amazon (and taking it's sweet time, I might add) so I will have to wait and see for myself.

Such a shame as it can only harm the whole restoration project. I doubt there will be so many pre-orders for the next releases as a result of this :facepalm: