Classic Animation on Blu Ray Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry and more.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First off Tom and Jerry:

This October, Warner Brothers will begin releasing their classic cartoon library in high definition with the Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One Blu-ray. The two-disc collection presents forty of the cat and mouse duo's most beloved cartoons fully restored in 1080p. The list of cartoons includes:

* "Puss Gets The Boot"
* "The Midnight Snack"
* "The Night Before Christmas"
* "Fraidy Cat"
* "Dog Trouble"
* "Puss N' Toots"
* "The Bowling Alley Cat"
* "Fine Feathered Friend"
* "Sufferin' Cats"
* "The Lonesome Mouse"
* "The Yankee Doodle Mouse"
* "Baby Puss"
* "The Zoot Cat"
* "The Million Dollar Cat"
* "The Body Guard"
* "Puttin' On The Dog"
* "Mouse Trouble"
* "The Mouse Comes To Dinner"
* "Mouse In Manhattan"
* "Tee For Two"
* "Flirty Birdy"
* "Quiet Please!"
* "Springtime For Thomas"
* "The Milky Waif"
* "Trap Happy"
* "Solid Serenade"
* "Cat Fishin'"
* "Part Time Pal"
* "The Cat Concerto"
* "Dr. Jekyll And Mr. Mouse"
* "Salt Water Tabby"
* "A Mouse In The House"
* "The Invisible Mouse"
* "Kitty Foiled"
* "The Truce Hurts"
* "Old Rockin' Chair Tom"
* "Professor Tom"
* "Polka Dot Puss"
* "The Little Orphan"
* "Hatch Up Your Troubles"

Warner has not yet announced any special features or a full list of technical specifications for this Blu-ray set, so check back later for further updates.

Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One will street on October 25th.

I gave up collectiong the Tom and Jerry collections on DVD after all the confusion over cuts etc lets hope they come to blu uncut

Tom & Jerry: The Golden Collection, Volume One Blu-ray (Updated)

Last edited:
Let's hope there are no cockups with the Blurays.
The dvd's never were satisfactorily completed as the third set has 2 toons missing.
Warner claimed it was intentional but judging from the problems with set 1 and set 2 it appears they didn't want to replace set 3 aswell.

Looks like there may already be some censorship as the comments below the article in the link suggest they've missed at least one cartoon out 'Mouse Cleaning'

Censorship will always be a problem for these unfortunately.

Just as with the Dambusters dog and Song of the South there'll be political sodding correctness.

Thomasssssssssss....:D

Censorship will always be a problem for these unfortunately.

Just as with the Dambusters dog and Song of the South there'll be political sodding correctness.

Thomasssssssssss....:D

Couldn't Warner just get Whoopi Goldberg to do another introduction/disclaimer for them like they did on the Warner Golden Collection DVD's & release them uncut?:lease:

Couldn't Warner just get Whoopi Goldberg to do another introduction/disclaimer for them like they did on the Warner Golden Collection DVD's & release them uncut?:lease:

I'd love to see 'em uncut, I really would. I remember watching the non pc versions as a kid and they had everyone in stitches.

C'mon Warner do the right thing.:thumbsup:

I'd love to see 'em uncut, I really would. I remember watching the non pc versions as a kid and they had everyone in stitches.

C'mon Warner do the right thing.:thumbsup:
I like the way you've juxtapositioned the Spike Lee film into your commentary there.;)

I knew someone would spot it. Kudos.:D

Quite cheap on Blu too.

Censorship is not an issue with these releases.
Despite noises from Warner that Mouse Cleaning was intentionally missed from Spotlight 3 I think it was an error they didn't want to admit to , after all MC was included on the R2 discs and other potentially offensive episodes were included on Spotlight 1 and 2.

Its been announced that the first set will have 37 episodes and not 41 .
Mouse Cleaning will be on Volume 2 and should be good as the source will be the recently discovered original nitrate elements.

Looking forward to this. A favourite cartoon of mine and never did get any on DVD. Did I also read about a Looney Tunes set coming to blu-ray as well or did I imagine that, seem to remember a thread about it a while back? Will do a search, would love to see some of those again too.

(just found it, was a thread about the DVDs not Blu's)

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I see play.com have Tintin for preorder.

Play.com - Buy The Adventures Of Tintin (Blu-ray) online at Play.com and read reviews. Free delivery to UK and Europe!

Not sure if it animated or not but it costs £47.99

HummerUK

What a shame it's the disappointing 90's remakes and not the original Tele Hachette / Belvision ones we enjoyed in 5 minute segments on the BBC in the late 60's and 70's.
I have several of those but all on vhs and all in compilations.

Three of the feature length animated movies were released in a boxset but the original serials remain unreleased on dvd and I guess out of circulation while these more recent ones do the rounds

Yes, those 1990's Tintin cartoons are a bit bland, I don't think I'll be upgrading to the BD boxset. If they released those the BBC used to screen in the 1970's I'd be on them like a shot.

Not too keen on Road Runner myself but i'm with you on Daffy Duck and let's not forget Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fud, Leghorn Foghorn, Sylvester and Tweetie. I'm sure Warners will be bringing the Looney Tunes Golden Collections to BD at some point.

Looks like Mouse Cleaning will be included in Volume 2.

"Tom and Jerry Golden Collection, Volume One is going to be released on the 25th October in the USA, and will feature the first complete run of 37 remastered theatrical shorts, all presented in thier original 1.33:1 aspect ratio. According to Cartoonbrew, each cartoon has been taken from the CRI negative elements and are described as being 'pristine'. Apparently, the rare Mouse Cleaning episode will not be included here, but after the discovery of the nitrate negative it'll be inside Volume Two.

Nine of the episodes will have a commentary track by 'animation experts' and an additional hour of extra features will include the retrospective Vaudeville, Slapstick and Tom and Jerry featurette. The episode list is as follows:

Disc One:

1 Puss Gets the Boot
2 The Midnight Snack
3 The Night Before Christmas
4 Fraidy Cat
5 Dog Trouble
6 Puss N’ Toots
7 The Bowling Alley Cat
8 Fine Feathered Friend
9 Sufferin’ Cats
10 The Lonesome Mouse
11 The Yankee Doodle Mouse
12 Baby Puss
13 The Zoot Cat
14 The Million Dollar Cat
15 The Bodyguard
16 Puttin On The Dog
17 Mouse Trouble
18 The Mouse Comes To Dinner
19 Mouse In Manhattan
20 Tee For Two

Disc 2:

21 Flirty Birdy
22 Quiet Please!
23 Springtime For Thomas
24 The Milky Waif
25 Trap Happy
26 Solid Serenade
27 Cat Fishin’
28 Part Time Pal
29 The Cat Concerto
30 Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse
31 Salt Water Tabby
32 A Mouse In The House
33 The Invisible Mouse
34 Kitty Foiled
35 The Truce Hurts
36 Old Rockin’ Chair Tom
37 Professor Tom

The original Tom and Jerry cartoons are still as funny now as they were on release - Bowling Alley Cat is easily one of my favourites - and it's great to see them get the treatment they deserve. Here's hoping for a region free release or news of an international set!"

Blu-ray movies and players news, reviews and hacks. Buy Blu-ray movies and players here

I remember enjoying the Looney Toones cartoons especially Daffy Duck (Duck Dodgers) and Bugs Bunny.

Great news on Tom & Jerry. Are all these going to be the original 'Fred Quimby' versions, not those awful 'modernised' Hannah Barbera versions that sometimes play on TV.

My four year old loves the old ones, he says "Dad, tom and jerry is on and it's Fred Quimby" ;o)

Great news on Tom & Jerry. Are all these going to be the original 'Fred Quimby' versions, not those awful 'modernised' Hannah Barbera versions that sometimes play on TV.
They certainly are. However, I don't think Fred Quimby had anything to do with the production of the cartoons. He was an executive at MGM and apparently wasn't a very nice person. Hanna and Barbera were responsible for creating Tom & Jerry and they hated Fred Quiby.

It's the Hanna Barbera name that means it the right toons.
If you spot Chuck Jones or Gene Deitch names anywhere it's the crap ones

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom