Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Class T amps - TA2020 vs TA2021 vs TA2024?

Discussion in 'Audio Processors & Power Amps' started by wywywywy, Oct 12, 2010.

1. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Hi all,

Basically I'm looking to buy some small class T amps from eBay to power a number of ceiling speakers, but I am not sure whether to buy the TA2020, TA2021, or TA2024.

TA2024 seems to be the oldest while TA2020 seems to be the cheapest, but the TA2021 is the most powerful. What are the general thoughts on the difference in terms of sound quality between these please?

Also another thing is these amps obviously have a low power output. I don't like loud music but are they enough to fill a room?

Any suggestions/advice welcome.

Thanks.
  2. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe Member

Ratings:
    +210
    I tried one of the 2024s a few years ago. Didn't really gel with it. With fairly inefficient speakers (86db/w) it really struggled.
    If you want to fill a room, pair it with some efficient.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Sorry I should have mentioned - the speakers I bought (and buying some more) are 88db.
  4. lbstyling

lbstyling Member

Ratings:
    +86
    those chips realy struggles with anything below 8ohm minimum load.
    a speaker rated at 88db is likely actually 85/84db minimum, and if rated at 8 ohm typically it will fall to between 6 and 4 ohm in the lower ranges.

If you were looking to match a ideal speaker to the amp for a typical living room- I would suggest your looking at 95db/1w and 8ohm min load.

also of note is that this particular chip rises in distortion with output, so the lighter the load- the better it will perform regardless.

having said all that, when partnered with the right kit for it- it is very good.

the 2050 chip is a much better choice if you dont want to spend more than you have to.

2*100W@ 4ohm TK2050 Tripath Class-T Audio Amplifier Board (Upgraded of AA-AB013) Free shipping_Audio Amplifier Boards_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_RF and Audio, Video Equipments_Sure Electronics' Webstore

much better. Personally I think the sure 2x100 is very good indeed.

Having said that, even this is a little on the feable side for 88db/1w imo, it realy didnt make my 87db/1w@ 6ohm speakers come to life, somthing sounded obviously wrong. 92db/1w imo is a much better combo for this I think, the focal/jm labs speakers sing happily on the end of this amp, as do any other ligher load speaker ive got about. AudioNote AN-E's are a particularly good combo.
  5. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Many thanks. Didn't even know about TK2050. Getting a good 12v power supply that can deliver over 17amp might be a bit tricky?

In the mean time I bought a cheap complete kit of TA2020 just to try. If it isn't good enough it will go to the guest bedroom...
  6. lbstyling

lbstyling Member

Ratings:
    +86
    sure sell the perfect power supply for it direct. yes its a switching power supply, but its a very well designed and tightly regulated one. This is what counts.

Meanwell 27V DC 13A 351W Regulated Switching Power Supply free sheeping_Industrial Power Adapter_Boxed Industrial Power Adapter and Chargers and Transformers_Measure Power Adapters_Sure Electronics' Webstore

I only mentioned the sure unit because I have one and it was the best option by a long way available last year. there is a better option than this now (in theory) available for this kind of money-

Hifimediy

the whole design is superior generaly- parasitic coupling,rf, etc are all better controlled. having no fan lowers the noise a little and so on.
    The great thing is that it has a power relay so no power on or off noise, and the pre-amp circuit that the tripath chips have allowed attenuation on is active, so this is a intergrated amp rather than a power. Personally, I would use this as a gain matching device rather than the vol control, but its a good start!:smashin:

considering that when running a light load this whips the parasound a51 I had -
    cheep eh?
  7. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Well looks like the one I received is faulty :(
    The build quality is extremely cheap as well...
  8. lbstyling

lbstyling Member

Ratings:
    +86
    how so??
  9. chilli_pepper

chilli_pepper Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently received a TA2024C from Sure 2*15W TA2024C Tripath Digital Class-D Amp + 12V adapter. It took a while to get to the UK, almost a month, but that was the only negative about the transaction.

As for the product itself I am blown away. I'm far from an audiophile I hasten to add. I have it driving a pair of Eltax Concept 180 with my PC as an input. The sound is warm, well rounded and has good clarity with a good bass response.

The build of the amp is fantastic, the casing is great and the whole things has a retro cool fell too it - sitting there on my desk with it's glowing volume knob!
  10. wywywywy

wywywywy Member

Ratings:
    +52
    I received a replacement of the faulty TA2020, and my experience is the complete opposite of yours.

Build quality is really cheap, the power supply has lots of static over its PLASTIC case I am not even sure if it is safe to use. The sound quality was NOT impressive (although passable) hooked up to a pair of Kef in ceiling speakers. Okay to be fair I was only driving it from my phone but still.

I am probably going to keep it for the time being (with my own 12v PSU instead of that POS) with a view of buying a better quality one, probably a TA2021 with better construction.