1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Citroen C5 wiring oddity

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Nav & Dash Cam Forum' started by Marky P, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Marky P

Marky P Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Bought my brother a new JVC radio for his C5. The plug on the C5 was the same as the connector on the new radio, so I plugged it straight in expecting it to work. Well, in a way, it did. It powered up and seemed fine. Problem is, it didn't switch off with the ignition, and while it eventually switched itself off when the 'economy mode' kicked in, it lost it's memory. Also found out later that it would switch itself on automatically when the car doors were unlocked!:eek: Now, I'm assuming this is because the way Citroen wire their radios is different to the normal standard (or the JVC one anyway). I'm going round to re-wire it tomorrow, but is there anything else I need to know, or should it be straight forward?:lease:
  2. davelee212

davelee212 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    hello chap

the car will have two power wires running to the stereo. one will be live all the time, the other will be live only with the ignition on. Some cars have these two wires swapped over, sounds like the citroen does. You need to swap these over for it to work properly.

On Kenwood head units, the wiring that goes between the car's connector and the stereo has bullet connectors one these two wires (red and yellow on the kenwood wiring) that you can pull out and swap. The yellow to the red and vice versa. Fingers crossed the JVC wiring is the same,

Dave
  3. davelee212

davelee212 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    thinking about it, if the JVC wiring doesn't have bullet connectors that let you swap it, you can buy an ISO -> ISO connector from local motor factors or halfords or something. Cut the red and yellow and solder them around the other way. Then you don't need to cut and modify the citroen's wiring loom, all plug and play and all that.

Dave
  4. martUK

martUK Member

Ratings:
    +73
    You will need to run a new ignition supply to the radio, as the one at the iso plug is not a true ignition supply but is connected to the data system on the car. There should be a suitable supply in the fusebox, or possibly the glovebox light as that is often ignition controlled. (and you will need to swap the lives)
  5. Marky P

Marky P Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooh! Interesting. I will do that when I finally get the car going again.:eek: Yes, after my attempt today, the immobilser kicked in and now the car won't start.:( I plugged the original radio back in but still nothing. I have been told that the car will no longer recognise the key and it will need resetting. Can't do this myself, I suppose.:(
  6. trailer

trailer Member

Ratings:
    +241
  7. martUK

martUK Member

Ratings:
    +73
    All that does is convert the quadlock connector to iso connectors, still doesn't avoid the previous issue with the wiring.
  8. trailer

trailer Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Ok, no worries. I've got an Audi with the same issue, I wasn't sure if Citroens were the same. I ended up getting a relay for the power lines. Saves running extra wiring but means the radio isn't on unless the engine is.
  9. Marky P

Marky P Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The car is in a Citroen garage at the moment, waiting to be fixed. Now I feel a bit apprehensive about trying again at fitting a new stereo, even with the correct loom. Citroen keep saying 'you can't fit an aftermarket radio in a C5' which we know is b******s.:D