1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cinema room size?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by rigman, Jun 24, 2002.

1. rigman

rigman Active Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all,

I am moving to a new house which has 3 reception rooms one of which I am thinking of turning into a dedicated home cinema. I currently have a Barco 808s with a 16:9 ratio 92" wide screen. At present I have this in my main living room which is 25' x 12'.
    The room I am thinking of using at the new house is 18'x9' but I am wondering if this will be too small. Could anyone tell me if the room will be suitable at that size. Has anyone got a similar sized room and if so are you happy with it.

thanks

Darren
  2. Couch Potato

Couch Potato Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Rigman,

I've got a 15x8x8 room with front projection, I've moved all components apart from the CRT out of the room to increase space and I currently only run 5.1 I'm not convinced 7.1 will add any real value in a small room.

On the whole I'm very happy, the dimensions aren't perfect (like yours, direct multiples are not good for acoustics) and I'd prefer it to be a couple of feet bigger all round but it is "cosy" and has major impact because of its size.

Go for it!!

Steve
  3. nfordenfield

nfordenfield New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Rigman

I've converted my garage which is 15x8 wide with 7.5 ft ceiling and have a BG801s firing onto a 7ft screen, with a full 7.1 surround sound. Sounds fantastic for a small room.

My lounge 26x13ft used to double as HC room, but would never look back now. Agee with Couch Potato. Cosy feel, with impact.

I've got black carpet, air con, rocker recliners, it's awesome.

There is no real choice it's a must !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nathan
  4. rigman

rigman Active Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Hi Guys

thanks for your input. I will go for it then. Getting a CRT installed is quite an expensive business so I did not want to regret it soon after. I have a 7.1 system with 2 subs but I like it loud. The floor is currently wood laminate which I will have to re-cover with carpet. Shame really as it looks really nice but there is no point in having an echo chamber. Redish paint for the ceiling and walls and there is quite a handy understair cupboard bordering the room which could house the gear.

My mind is working overtime on the possibilities. There are some very nice home cinemas out there. I think Fulabeers is the reference for me but I am not that practical or patient so I dont think I would end up with something that good.

Comfy sofa or cinema seats anyone?
    I have always found the local cinemas seats to be quite uncomfortable after a while but then again it is a few years old so maybe by buying new or refurbished cinema seats I would feel the difference.

Darren
  5. nfordenfield

nfordenfield New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you can afford it go for Laz-y-boy - Argos do one for £350ish.

If you want cheaper than that try Homebase they were doing a swivel recliner black leather one with foot stool for £100 each.

How many do you want as I may be selling some of my Homebases ones, as they are not getting used and want to make room for my fridge in the HC room.

Regards

Nathan
  6. rigman

rigman Active Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Nathan

I will let you know. I am moving into the new house at the beginning of August and have to put all my house contents in storage until then..

Fridge, now that seems like a good idea

Darren
  7. nfordenfield

nfordenfield New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The smallest and cheapest fridge that I could find was in Comet for £100, was 20x18x18 inches (hxwxd).

Enough for 12 cans of Stella and some vodka/coke.

Be warned, as the fridge is not opened as much as your household fridge, if the fridge is set to low, you end up with ice in the stella - Nice.

Oh and some chocolate for the missis as well........

Nathan
  8. Glasswalker

Glasswalker Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think Safeways are doing small fridges for around £70