Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chris Huhme - Driving Penalty Points Declaration

Discussion in 'Politics & Economy Forum' started by Rasczak, May 8, 2011.

1. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    Well Ed, that's certainly irrelevant.

Politicians will always antogonise others in their party and in the wider public - that's just politics.

We just need a fair system which does not punish the innocent, but which allows people to defend their innocence and government to run smoothly until the situation is resolved.

It would be nice to see people leave aside their political affiliatons when discussing this matter. I'm sure we'll have Conservative and Labour cabinet/shadow cabinet members in similar circumstances over the coming years.

Steve W
  2. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Would you stand down in your job if your were charged with this offence
  3. Sonic67

Sonic67 Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,856
    Didn't his party say they would kick him out of his post if he was charged? So they have found him guilty before he has had a chance to prove his innocence then. It will be interesting if they replace him in his post, he is innocent what then? Kick his new incumbent out and reinstate him?
  4. @Home

@Home Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Nasty peice of work - Glad to see the back of him
  5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,937
    Whether you like it or not, Huhne's standing with his colleagues has contributed to where he finds himself now. None of them have exactly gone the extra mile to defend him over the last few months.

I do agree however that any member of the serving cabinet regardless of their affiliation should step down if facing criminal charges.
  6. Squiffy

Squiffy Active Member

Ratings:
    +888
    I suspect I would be sacked from my position if convicted of charges like this. We have quite strong rules about propriety and reputation.

I wouldn't resign if charged, primarily because I couldn't afford it. However if I was guilty I'd start looking for another job before awaiting the outcome of the trial.

But this is speculation really, I wouldn't commit a crime like this in the first place. For an MP to be facing charges like this is pretty damning.
  7. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,473
    I think that it would be such a major distraction if we had someone charged by the CPS still serving in the Cabinet, of course he remains innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

Now for a bit of counter-factualism, imagine if he had won the Lib Dem leadership, we would now be talking about the resignation of the Deputy Prime Minister! lucky escape for the Lib Dems
  8. homer timpson

homer timpson Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Ministerial Code states
    Lying [allegedly] about who was driving and allowing/suggesting to his spouse to lie on his behalf [allegedly] is not upholding the highest standards imho.

Resignation was the only option before being bumped.

Homer
  9. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    On that they all need to resign :laugh:
  10. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    In CH's own words:

If he was found guilty, I think a government would lok pretty daft with him in it at that time.

But by the same token I think they look daft if they sack him and he's innocent.

That's why I think we'd be better off in this sort of situation where there's a suspension of duties.

Steve W
  11. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    For me, it'd be a sorry day for politics when this sort of person didn't exist in the system.

And I doubt he'd have not resigned, even if he'd have had a very high standing among his collegues.

Steve W
  12. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    :confused:

If I allege something against you, have you not upheld the highest standards?

Steve W
  13. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,473
    But I guess it's more serious when you are actually charged by the Crown Prosecution Service rather then say being accused in an internal disciplinary
  14. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    Of course, I agree.

Indeed, despite being innocent until proven guilty, it's more serious to be charged by the CPS than not charged.

But that just means it's a serious matter, with serious implications - as CH has said, it would be close to impossible to do your job as a minister whilst defending yourself against a charge like this, and it'd be equally difficult to defend yourself whilst doing your job as a minister.

I accept all of that. I just don't accept what homer timpson said, that being accused means you have definitely not upheld the highest standards.

Steve W
  15. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    No.

But then again, I'm not a minister of state.

Even if I were found guilty of the offence, it would not particularly hinder me in my work, unless I was imprisoned. I could lie to a policeman and still be a good teacher - even a good RE teacher.

CH is in a different position. As a government minister his honesty (which has been called into question) is a key part of his role, and measure of his ability in that role.

Steve W
  16. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    What difference does that make if you expect them to lead by example surely you should follow
  17. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    There are some circumstances under which I would be suspended, either on full pay or without pay, if I were suspected of certain offences deemed incompatible with my role.

I wouldn't be sacked (or expected to resign) just suspended.

And I think the option to do that to ministers who find themselves in these positions should be open to the PM.

Steve W
  18. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,937
    I don't disagree with the sentiment although I thought the idea of the disruptive outsider was that they actually achieved something.

Most likely. If nothing else, he's out of play for a bit and for that I'm happy. This piece sets it nicely for me.
  19. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    Strange, on Nick Robinson's blog:

The BBC rolling news notes that Andy Atkins the executive director of Friends of the Earth has contributed saying:

Further contribution there:

Your idea that he didn't get things done is not one supported by anyone in the know.
    Possibly one of the most odious, self-serving, mean-spirited pieces I've read for a very long time.

Steve W
  20. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,937
    So in the first quote we have an unsubstantiated "many", the second from someone obviously unconcerned about how much an energy bill actually costs and a twitcher. Move over Winston!

You must lead a very sheltered life. It boils down to the basics. He wound up enough people that there was a substantial group of people gunning for him. Not a problem if you behave yourself, he couldn't though. I think he's a charmless, ineffectual attention whore, you obviously feel differently.
  21. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    But your criticism wasn't that Huhne had done a lot which had cost a lot, but that he'd not achieved anything.

Steve W
  22. Ed Selley

Ed Selley AVF Reviewer

Ratings:
    +1,937
    If the list of people you found who rate his achievements runs to a bloke from Friends of the Earth and a Bird Fancier, I don't think he has achieved much- sorry. I think his energy policy has been ill considered but as a saving grace, not that much of it has been implemented by him yet.

And no- I've no idea what effect Ed Davey will have. Mainly because I'm not wholly sure who Ed Davey is.
  23. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    Given that his main thrust of action appears to be in introducing green policies, I think their opinion is extremely important as to what he has ans hasn't achieved.

Steve W
  24. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,614
  25. instigator

instigator Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Like that England footballer losing his captaincy thingy?
  26. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel Active Member

Ratings:
    +665
    Good riddance to bad rubbish. They'll both appear in court on Thursday 16th Feb.

No doubt his defence team will attempt to tear his wife apart to save his skin. "Hell hath no fury" and all that.
  27. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    Aye, maybe.

Given that Terry appears to have made some pretty nasty racist comments on the football pitch, it would be pretty difficult to have him as captain (with all that entails) of a multi-ethnic football team.

Steve W
  28. Squiffy

Squiffy Active Member

Ratings:
    +888
    But his brief is as energy AND climate change secretary.

What has he achieved on the energy front? Bills are up, energy security has not been improved (is possibly worse), he has botched the solar energy scheme being reformed, etc.

If his brief was only as climate change secretary, then the two supporters quoted would be important. But his job is much wider than that, and he hasn't really done that good a job across his whole brief.
  29. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    Squiffy, again that's not what was said. Ed said "I don't disagree with the sentiment although I thought the idea of the disruptive outsider was that they actually achieved something."

Now all of a sudden we're talking about whether or not we like the balance of what he achieved. I was commenting on whether or not he achieved anything at all, because that was Ed's original point.

Steve W
  30. neilios

neilios Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,131
    I take it the police and the cps have nothing better to do than bring a prosecution based upon acusations from a woman who was his wife and seems to be seeking revenge for his affair...
    The whole sorry episode should be a jeremy kyle special....

Waste of tax payers money....Again...