Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chimney conversion - place AV equipment in chimney breast or convert to fireplace?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Rykchiu, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Rykchiu

Rykchiu Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,
    Any advice/comments would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm currently in two minds with what I should do with the hole in my chimney breast. I will be mounting a plasma TV to the chimney breast (above the hole) and I'm considering these two options:
    1) Convert and install a modern 'flat panel' fireplace
    2) Convert the hole into a place holder for hosting AV equipment, e.g. Amplifier, DVD player, Sky, etc

Option 1 - Fireplace
    I think this will look great, but having read various posts, I'm unsure if its safe to mount a plasma TV above a fireplace. I understand it depends on the heat distribution, i.e. whether the heat is distributed straight up or projected forwards, but I'd like some other opinions.

Option 2 - Host AV equipment
    The only place that I can place my AV equipment would be on either side of the chimney breast, so it'll probably mean unsightly cables, etc. unless I convert the hole into a place where I can place an AV stand - has anyone done such a task? Any pics would be good.

Thanks guys...
  2. Ruudfood

Ruudfood Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I'm planning something very similar to you.

Just out of interest, if you don't put the AV equipment into the hole where would it go?
  3. Achy

Achy Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I'm in a similar position and have made my decision ;)

I've just moved into a house with an open fireplace (just bare bricks) and plasterboard surrounding it (with a great big hole above the empty fireplace in the plasterboard for a Plasma TV). :eek:

I've decided to put a wall mounted fireplace ( Like one of these), which doesnt kick out much heat, so it's for the look only, and then replace the plasterboard above the fireplace and mount a plasma there.... all cables will be in the wall and go off to one side where I'll keep the other AV equipment.
  4. Ruudfood

Ruudfood Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Nice fire Achy. I'm not going to bother with a fire just leave the hole and put some nice ornaments in there to keep the missus happy ;)

Are you looking to hide the cables and will you be doing it all yourself or get installers in?

*OP - sorry if I've hijacked there! :(
  5. Achy

Achy Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I was intending to run the cables along inside some trunking between the chimney wall and the plasterboard and come out an access hole on the side.

I've got a friend who's brother does installs... so I'm kind of keeping my fingers crossed that with the temptation of a few beers and a curry that'll he'll help me out.... not sure if his skills extended to plastering though :(

I would probably have a go myself but it would take 5 times as long !
  6. Ruudfood

Ruudfood Member

Ratings:
    +11
    OK, yours sounds a lot easier than mine because I have pure brick and no recess above the fireplace. I have to work out if I can afford an installer to recess the TV or just mount it (and the speakers) on the wall. The key thing for me is hiding the cables more than ensuring that everything else looks neat.

I've got an installer coming round next week to have a look so hopefully I'll know more about what's involved both from a work and cost point of view.
  7. murph5

murph5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning on doing this, putting all my AV equipment in the hole rather than putting a fire in there. I'm going to put wooden batoning each side of the front of the chimney breast and plasterboard over the top. This will allow me to recess the lcd tv into the chimney. Also, allows power cables and data leads to be hidden too.

My electrician has already set up the first fix by putting 6 sockets inside the hole!
  8. Ruudfood

Ruudfood Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Now there's an idea! What sort of distance would you be from the TV? Aree you planning gto build it yourself?
  9. murph5

murph5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Around 3m from seating position on sofa. I want to build out the fireplace *just enough* to allow the tv to recessed, but the tricky bit is knowing how deep to the make the hole to allow for the plugs at the back, leads exiting the rear of the AV equipment and the AV equipment itself. Think the biggest would be a hcpc (i plan on buiilding one)

Probably going to get the plasterer to build the boxing. Haven't got my tv yet, so i'm just going to build it out first and then cut a sqare out when i know exactly what size the tv will be...