1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child of Eden - Kinect game (UK release: Spring 2011)

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Games' started by DJSigma, Sep 9, 2010.

1. noisecrime

noisecrime Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Finally received my copy this morning (stupid postman tried the same trick but I was ready for him).

Initial impressions after playing a level, very good if a little confusing at first (and that's coming from someone who finished Rez). I don't mean the gameplay, more a case of recognising what to shoot and of course needing to learn the patterns.

Only played with the kinet but I was impressed with the accuracy, although I did find it a little awkward as the camera nearly always seems to be facing downwards. I suspect it may be the kinect position, only a foot or so off the floor, so it has to angle itself to look up and I guess since the TV is on the same height, when standing I tend to be looking at a downwards angle.

The only realy problem i'm haivng is every few minutes i get the 'kinect has lost tracking error', though 90% of the time it displays this the kinect is still tracking as I suddenly start selecting options from the menu that pops up. Once I had it lose track and it took ages to get it back. Strangely though going into the kinect test area, shows it can see me and track my skeleton perfectly. So i'm really not sure whats going on.

I did find the kinect strangely less immersive than the control was in Rez. I think lose of vibration is a big factor and possibly as stated above I suspect my kinect and TV are not at optimum position to play. I hope over time it becomes more immersive and will definitely try holding onto a controller or two to get the vibration that way.

What really surprised me though is that I have no friends on the kinect leaderboard? I figured there were going to be 3 or 4 at least, since I knew they'd bought the game. So if anyone wants to send me a FR so we can battle out on the leaderboards feel free ;)
  2. Greasychipbutty

Greasychipbutty Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    Feel free to FR me Noise.

Cheers

Greasy
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. noisecrime

noisecrime Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Had another quick go after recalibrating the kinect and only got the 'tracking lost' once, so thats good.

Replayed the first level and I swear this time it was much harder at the point where you have to 'unlock' the barriers. First time I remember there being 1 lock, then 2 on the next and finally 3, sometimes varying their position. This time, it started on 3 locks, went to four and the whole tunnel bits around them were flying past!

I wonder if the game changes based on how well you are doing? I did score more points second time, as I felt more comfortable using the kinect by then.

Tried holding a controller whilst playing, but find it really awkward. What a shame they haven't released a rubble pad like they did with Rez ;)
  4. Greasychipbutty

Greasychipbutty Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    Can't ya chuck a pair of tracky bottoms on and put a controller in each pocket?
  5. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,953
    Well, you're not the only one to have this issue. It's been bugging me tonight for no apparent reason. It also seems to be getting my left and right arms confused, which has killed me once or twice.

That said, it's been great fun, even the Mrs is loving it, so I'm overall well pleased as it's everything I hoped it would be. I think I'll recalibrate and hopefully everything will be A-OK.
  6. jms_uk

jms_uk Member

Ratings:
    +182
    I removed my chatpads, and grip around the centre of each controller which I found to be a pretty good technique.. the Kinect seems to track better for me when I hold them and it becomes second nature after a while (even with the added weight)

Not as ideal as a rumble pad, but a pretty good alternative.. :)
  7. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168
    so whats your opinion after a couple of days playtime ?!

must have? .. i wanted to wait until it hit the 24£ mark .. but saw my local Morrison got it for 29,99 .. so i could get it straight away.

Anyone finished it yet .. how much time did you spend?
  8. noisecrime

noisecrime Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Difficult to say. Overall i'm happy with it, but there are some kinect issues, such as losing track mid-way through a game and going to the pause menu, where oddly the kinect is still working fine, so I accidentally select an option.

Its also slighlty odd using the kinect since it can't be centered in the TV, so above or below I always find I'm 'sliding' the view or or down. Hopefuly its just a question of getting used to making your hand face the kinect rather than the tv, or more precisely the targetting reticle on the tv.

I've yet to try the game using a standard control, but the kinect is a lot of fun despite the issues I mentioned above.

As for the game itself, I'm finding it not quite as 'involving' as the original. The music hasn't really captured me. Then again i wasn't overly impressed with the music in Rez, aprt from the third level which has wicked guitar stabs coming in at the end when you fight the 'running man'. I suspect this might be partly due to not using a controller and missing the rumble pack.

I'm also finding it slight more difficult than I expected. Been stuck for a few goes on the 3rd level, though came very close to finishing. I find the update in graphics over Rez can make it difficult to track everything on screen and identify threats such as enemy fire quickly enough if the screen is full of stuff.

However I think its just a case of playing it a bit more, learning the enemy patterns and the methods to take down bosses. Unlike the Rez you have a new weapon which must be used against enemy fire, but seems to be affective against enemies and bosses themselves, but obviously doesn't give you as many points as you aren't locking onto groups.

The game itself isn't meant to be very long, neither was Rez, but unlike most games, the value should come from replayability, improving your high-score, playing for fun (sy in free mode where you can't die) etc. Not sure how much depth it has, but Rez had loads of different modes that got unlocked after completeing it.
    If you liked Rez you should like this, maybe not as much, maybe more, comes down to personal taste. For the sake of saving £5 I wouldn't bother waiting ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  9. AgentCool

AgentCool Active Member

Ratings:
    +191
    Played this for about an hour or so. I'm a massive fan of Rez having owned it on Dreamcast, PS2 and XBLA and completed it at least 30 or 40 times. Needless to say I was very much looking forward to this but, now it's here, I'm only moderately impressed.

What's lacking for me is the 'focus' of Rez. It was always clear what needed to be done in that game but, here, there's often too much going on and it feels a tad messy. I don't think the art or level design is anywhere near as impressive as in Rez either.

Still, I'll play it through and it may well grow on me but the initial impact that Rez had definitely isn't there.
  10. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +495
    I was all set to send my kinect bacj, but it works fine on all my other games. Tried everything, but still doesn't work properly.
  11. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +495
    I was all set to send my kinect back, but it works fine on all my other games. Tried everything, but still doesn't work properly.
  12. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168
    wow .. just finished the matrix an i looooooooooved the very first soundtrack .. graphic wise really nice, cant wait to play in the "dark" ;p
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  13. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +495
    Thinking of getting a refund.
  14. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168

so whats your issue with the kinect tracking?

never thought i would love the game, but it totally got me ... played the second level with kinect ..yeah played the matrix with joypad .. moooohh .. and its very responsive and compare to the pad i am able to use the whole screen and look around within a 10th of a second which gives me the feeling its not a "rail shooter" and there is a kind of free movement.

its a shame you cant use both hand at the same time .. i will change to controller mode B and see how creative i can be ;D
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  15. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +495
    Its all juddery, on the main menu especially. In game occasionally it just refuses to work.
  16. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168
    kinda strange .. think its one of the most responsive games, next to DC on kinect.

btw: i set a new HighScore for the Matrix Archvie :cool: ... about 350k .. i've dropped you guys a FR ;)

cant wait to unlock the filters

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  17. noisecrime

noisecrime Member

Ratings:
    +206
    Opps, since you didn't say who/where you were from i've deleted the FR ;(
    Send me another and i'll accept, be nice to have some competition ;)
  18. daveleebond

daveleebond Member

Ratings:
    +11
    have you installed the game to HD, if so read on other forums this is causing issues and errors with kinect and should be run only off DVD until patched.
  19. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168
    any tips on how to beat the boss in the "beauty archive" ?
  20. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168
    love the game :clap: .. once you know how to beat the end boss its kinda easy ... btw: playing more often with the joypad than with kinect :eek:

edit:

new Highscore on Matrix (Controller) 380.550

Cleared: 92% Objects: 100% ...only 3 stars =/
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  21. jms_uk

jms_uk Member

Ratings:
    +182
    think i've done a bit over 400k On matrix with the kinect... ;) Controller mike? Shame on you :D
  22. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168
    lazy couch potato,i am :D

for high scores i'll switch over to kinect ... just tried to complete the 3rd archive. i LOVE the crazy grahics in the 4th Archive (passion) .. but its damn difficult :facepalm:

btw: the misses loves the soundtrack, so might get her into it as well ;)

YouTube - ‪Star Line (stratos remix) by

YouTube - ‪Child of Eden Soundtrack - Evolution Archive‬‏
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  23. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168
    needed to hit the boss once more but then died :facepalm: .. last play wasn't that good only took 1 life into the final battle but 2 euphoria's ... not sure where the 3rd is hidden.

if i can make it having 2 lives and 3 euphoria's in the final battle (passion archive) i'll beat it :cool:
  24. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168
    unlocked hope and both visual&audio filters ... pretty awesome ... havent played hope that much ... only made it to level 4 =/

anyhow .. love playing on hard difficulty :devil:
  25. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168
    about 400k in the passion archive :clap:

still a long way to go to unlock the other graphic & sound filters

Just had a quick look onto my stats :hiya:

Stars: 84
    Total PlayTime: 7:30h
    Achievements: 21/49
    Perfect Octa: 1040
    Max. Combo: 11

:smashin:
  26. Kravenius

Kravenius Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Love the game, looks, feels and sounds great. Once you get caught up in it, you just can't stop but I'm finding it difficult to score highly. I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with achieving octo-locks but I consistently seem to score around 250-300k. Never seem to manage to get above 3 stars and I'm finding it it hard to see what I'm doing wrong really. Any tips?
  27. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168

keep your euphoria till the end, which gives you another 100k .. besides that, its octa locks combos i guess :eek:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +495
    I'll try an uninstall in case it's been done and i've forgotten! But bored of xbox tbh, and can't really get into it.
  29. Kravenius

Kravenius Member

Ratings:
    +55
    When you say keep it till the end, do you mean not use it at all or use it on the end boss?
  30. _mike_

_mike_ Member

Ratings:
    +168
    yeah don't use it ;)

hope archive is diffcult to beat .. current level 6 and score about 235k ... Rank 657 (Controller )
    • Thanks Thanks x 1