Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheapest 50" Samsung Smart TV?

Discussion in 'Which TV Should I Buy?' started by boroboy07, May 23, 2011.

1. boroboy07

boroboy07 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Im a bit confused regarding model numbers. Whats the cheapest 50" smart tv on the market?

If anyone has one whats the experience like?

:smashin:
  2. ChrisP2809

ChrisP2809 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    You will most likely be looking at the Samsung PS51D6900. This is a Samsung 51" Plasma Smart TV. Samsung make LED Smart TVs but they are either 46" or 55" as far as I know.

I recommend Samsung LED Smart TVs they are great fun to use. The picture is great on Full HD and in SD (does depend on the broadcast), they are a massive improvement on last years "C" range.

What will be your main use for the television? Gaming, Films, etc (please be specific with HD, SD, 3D also)

If you are going for Plasma I personally prefer the Panasonics.

Hope this helps... If you have specific model questions I will be glad to give you the info you need also.
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. boroboy07

boroboy07 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Hi thanks for your reply. We have a samsung c series 3d plasma now but i quite like the look of smart tv. Also, been looking at the lg offering. I like the lg streaming movies / tv shows from pc and scraping the data.

we currently use xbmc to stream but if the tv can do it as well that would be great.

does the samsung stream and scrape data showing cover art actors etc like the lg?

we will be using the tv for xb360, ps3, v+ hd box and 3d movies. are these new 3d models all passive now?

thanks
  4. ChrisP2809

ChrisP2809 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The Samsung TVs are all active as far as I know. Passive is more for commercial use like cinemas and pubs because active glasses are not cheap.

Active tends gives you a better result in my opinion. However, eye fatigue/headaches things like that are a bigger factor in the active glasses (my opinion)

As far as scraping data on the Samsung. I will check with technical support when I am at work tomorrow if no one answers that for you in the mean time. As far as LG go I do not work with them so I don't know a great deal but in past experience (owned one and my dad currently owns one, we also bought one into the shop as a tester screen to see how it went.) I am not overly keen on LG. I prefer Samsung and if you are happy to go LED route the samsung D6 D7 and D8 Look outstanding and perform exceptionally well. The black levels are much better than last years C Range and the viewing angle has improved as far as I am concerned which for LED LCD that has always let them down for me as I am A plasma fan.

If it cannot stream it wouldn't be the end of the world considering you have the facility to do it at the moment. However, I do understand that convenience is a nice luxury.

I recommend the Samsung LED 6 7 or 8Series but budget and compromise will play a large part as they come in either 46" or 55", not a 50" and they are not overly "cheap". However, you may as well take advantage of the "current climate". Make sure you shop around. Not just online, call people up and ask them if they will compete with someone else's prices (be sure to give accurate prices as companies will check prices daily and can generally know when you have pulled a cheap figure from the sky you want them to take you seriously and don't be afraid to tell people which stores offered you certain prices) People want to sell so you could pick up a bargain! We are extremely competitive with price where I work.
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. boroboy07

boroboy07 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Much rather use passive, seen them on demo in currys.

Any idea on the home network features? scraping?

I cant find any videos on youtube showing off the home network.
  6. ChrisP2809

ChrisP2809 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I will check at work tomorrow for you if you like?
  7. boroboy07

boroboy07 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    ok cool