Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Channels on a fixed Dish with DreamBox !

Discussion in 'Satellite TV Forum' started by Lord-Mango, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Lord-Mango

Lord-Mango Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi ! :hiya:
    Just wondered if somebody can tell me if it is worthwhile getting a Dreambox using a fixed Dish ? Motorised Dish is out of the question on my building ! Will be I be able to get a worthwhile amount of channels to justify buying the box ?

Regards !!!!
  2. mrben

mrben Member

Ratings:
    +5
    are you talking just from a sky dish or do you have another dish pointing at a european satellite (astra 1 or hotbird)?

for a simple sky dish, no. you will not receive any other channels then sky provides.

for another dish (around 60cm), maybe with dual lnb (to get both astra and hotbird), you would have access to many other channels.

just depends on whether you can only have a sky dish.
  3. Lord-Mango

Lord-Mango Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I actually have two dishes on my wall , one which is a sky dish which I am using to get Sky+ , the other spare dish is a 80cm dish that my ex flatmate used to use for the Chinese channel ( He took the receiver box away but left the dish ). I believe it is pointing to Astra ! What I would like to know is whether the channels I would be able to get would justify the cost and time of getting a dreambox ? I was thinking of getting it for the footie !
  4. mrben

mrben Member

Ratings:
    +5
    you could get some good football on astra. would be better to get an dual lnb and get hotbird too. that would give more football channels. how come you can't get a motor? makes things very easy.

channels on astra 1:

Astra 1H / Astra 1KR / Astra 1L / Astra 1M (19.2°E) - frequencies - KingOfSat

not really for us to say if it is worth it. have a look a channels available (both FTA and ones encrypted) and see what you think yourself.

also look at liveonsat.com to see what games are on what channels.
  5. huy

huy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've been wondering this same point.

I live on a high rise flat so have always thought that motorised dishes are out of the question. Is it possible to get a motorised dish suitable for use on walls?

And, where?
  6. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    That's where a lot/most of them go.
    Have a look here for examples
    Brymar Satellite Motorised Satellite Equipment

Lots of help on the net
  7. huy

huy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Fantastic,

Thanx for that.
  8. Super Andy H

Super Andy H Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I wouldn't buy a DM with the expectations of getting free Sky. It's far more complicated than that. I have a Dm500 and use it for foreign channels. For SKY, I have a sub and a Sky box.
  9. bob1

bob1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Maybe not free sky but you could get plenty of channels for not much money ,having sky and a dreambox seems a waste of money.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  10. Super Andy H

Super Andy H Member

Ratings:
    +8

Not really. Recording on Sky is the best way to record and organise TV bar none. I don't have movies or Sport on SKY.

I can pick up Sky UK on my dreambox, but find NDS encrypted channels choppy. Plus there's not much on Sky Uk I am interested in. I watch the sport on other channels, especially 3pm kick offs. My movies are all available on newsgroups so I don't watch the movies.

In all I pay £20 a month for SKY, roughly. And nothing for the Dreambox. SKY cost me nothing for installation or box or dish. Dreambox cost me under 150 for box and 80cm dish and all installation.
  11. Member 354643

Member 354643 New Member

Ratings:
    +95
    £150 for dreambox and installation? wow i better pack up my tools and start a new trade
  12. thfccambs

thfccambs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,383
    Why, sounds about right to me????

£50 for box and £100 to install.???
  13. mrben

mrben Member

Ratings:
    +5
    the cheapest quote i got for my install (and i had all the equipment and cables already) was £150.
  14. bob1

bob1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +144
    It not exactly hard on a dreambox ,select the program you want to watch in the epg and press the green button, i have never had a failed recording and can record up to seven channels at the same time, i have never needed to do this but have tried it it worked faultlessly, i regularly record 3 channels and can still have full function of watching any other channel or a recording.
    Its also easy to edit movies and burn them to dvd on the pc without much effort.

Rock solid ,never had that problem.
  15. huy

huy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not interested in Sky channels, I am interested in the channels from other countries though, and, getting subscription for them is either hard or expensive.

I've done a bit of reasearch and found something called 'card sharing' which I gather is like mp3 sharing. So, are there any sharing resources that I can google up?
  16. Super Andy H

Super Andy H Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Erm... If you read it again it is £150 for box AND DISH. AND INSTALLATION OF DISH. Only a moron would pay £80 to have a DM installed.

[

7 channels? You have seven tuners? I find that hard to believe.
  17. bob1

bob1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +144
    Nope 2, as long as the channels are on the same tp or mux it will record them,i'm not too sure why it stopped at 7 probably hardware limitations.
  18. jorg14

jorg14 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    just to give you a run down on how i started with a fixed dish for the dreambox.i moved into a house with a sky dish on the wall,and had read a lot about the dreambox at the time,and what it could do.after spending many hours looking a lots of posts about setting it up.i took the plunge and bought a dreambox 500,and a cheap sat meter,and them managed to get the dish set up to 19east without much fuss.my dish was not up that high on the wall,and this made it a lot easy to set up.in those days you could clear a lot on 19 east with the keys that where on the net.

then it became a bit of a hobby,i then bought a monobloc for 13 east as well,with the same sky dish.it was fine but in bad weather i would get some break on some channels.so then i moved on to a 80cm clear dish with a multi bracket for 13,19 and 28 east on it.i find that there is enough on these three sats,that i am ever going to need.

i think that anybody with any basic computer skills etc,could easily set up the dreambox and dish set up.again it depends on how high your dish is up,and if you are scared of heights!!

i still remember the neighbours looking at me strange with this big dish on the wall,and all these lnbs attached to it.while they are cutting the grass,i am watching some 3pm football!!

i would spend some time looking a net,there are hundreds of websites including this one with everything you need to know.

thanks

jorg14.
  19. Super Andy H

Super Andy H Member

Ratings:
    +8

I have the same setup. Very good.
  20. omzay999

omzay999 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I was wondering if someone could help me :lease: i have got a sky+ hd connected in my house and i have a dreambox 800hd aswell. i connected my satalite dish to my dreambox and it picks up the sky movies, sports ect chanels. but when i click the channel it doesnt play any of the movies or sports or any otherchannel that is not free could someone tell me why this is happening.

Regards,
    Omz
  21. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    The way to receive the encrypted channels is to insert a subscription card into a Sky PVR and watch from that.
    Other machines such as yours can be made to receive encrypted channels so you'd need to find out how to do that.
    Logiciel
  22. Delvey

Delvey Active Member

Ratings:
    +865
    Because they are encrypted