Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing ipod owner

Discussion in 'iPod' started by longitude, Oct 29, 2007.

1. longitude

longitude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My Son has just bought one of these new ipod touch thingys and has kindly given his Dad his old ipod mini. I've installed itunes and everything is working fine but dak how to change the owners name? It's not very obvious from any of the menus so I'm a bit stuck.
  2. gilford

gilford Active Member

Ratings:
    +841
    Open iTunes and plug the iPod in, once it has recognised it, go to it in the left hand bar and click on restore. Here you will be able to re name it :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. spl23

spl23 Active Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Or if you don't want to have to go through a full restore (which isn't too bad on a Nano, but you don't want to do on a classic unless you *really* have to...) - connect to iTunes, and when the iPod appears and has finished syncing, click twice on the name of the iPod in the left-hand column, as you would to rename a folder or file in Windows.
  4. longitude

longitude Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Sadly neither way works. The resume option attempts to do a restore and then a window pops up saying it couldn't. The second method allowed me to rename and then a window popped up saying it couldn't find the folder "new name". I've got the latest itunes and ipod software running on a vista laptop if that helps.
  5. Tenex

Tenex Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,084
    Have you looked at the iPod support pages on Apple.com? They are very good and you should find a fix there.
  6. spooney

spooney Member

Ratings:
    +222
    There is an article on the Apple support page (#60952)

- Select the Ipod on the right hand side
    - Click the name again, it will be selected
    - Enter the new name
    - Press Enter

No need to reset or something.