1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change Sky+ viewing card and recordings

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by JimmyHart, Jul 14, 2008.

1. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +491
    I am due for an upgrade to Sky HD on Saturday. I currently have a Sky+ box and normal box. I am going to move the + box to room 2 and HD in room 1. So the viewing card that is currently in the sky+ box will go into the HD box and the card in the normal box will go into the + box.

Does anyone know if I can still watch recordings I have made on the box? It'll still have 2 feeds from the dish, multiroom, etc, but as it'll have the other viewing card and not the current one, I need to know if they'll be deleted. I've got 20 movies on there and I doubt I'll watch them all before Saturday.
  2. Broadz

Broadz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,479
    They won't be deleted, but you will have to put the old card back in the Sky+ box (the one that's normally in your Sky HD box) to watch them. Alternatively, do like I did and have the Sky HD box paired with your other, standard Sky card, and leave the Sky+ card in the Sky+ box.
  3. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +491
    Good idea. The only problem is that I subscribe to setanta with my current Sky+ card. Would I be able to phone them to change this to the other card (which is currently normal and will be HD) ?

Also, I told sky my plan on how I want to change the boxes and viewing cards around, so they think the viewing card in room 1 (sky+) is going to stay there and change to HD. Does this matter or can I just ask the installer to do what you suggested and it'll all work ok when he pairs them?
  4. Broadz

Broadz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,479
    I told the installer which card I wanted to live in my Sky HD box - and that was the card that got paired with my Sky HD box. I've no idea which card Sky thought (or didn't think) that I was going to pair, I just told the installer which one to do. And he did.

As far as Setanta goes, I've no idea where you stand with that. I would've thought they'd let you transfer it to a new card (what are you supposed to do if your dog eats your existing Sky card and you need to get a new one from Sky?) but knowing Setanta, they'll not make it easy for you. All you can do is phone them and ask...
  5. JimmyHart

JimmyHart Active Member

Ratings:
    +491
    ok great thanks for that advice. I'll just leave the card in the Sky+ box and change the normal one to HD, like you said. I would imagine I can just change the viewing card with Setanta, can't be that much of a task for them to do it. Will ring them later to ask.
  6. Jaycee Dove

Jaycee Dove Member

Ratings:
    +175
    You CAN change your card over with Setanta - we did the same. But be warned they were a pain to deal with after the fact (the switch itself seemed simple) as they kept on wanting to charge us a new start up fee claiming we were cancelling and starting again by changing over which card we wanted Setanta paired to!

It took a lot of persuading and several complaints about attempted billing and then they kept blitzing us with phone calls and letters asking why we had left - despite the fact, as I pointed out time after time on the phone with increasing exasperation, that any look at our records would surely reveal trhat they were still billing us every month.

I very nearly did quit in the end as this card switch seemed to confound Setanta so much they were really driving us bonkers when this was still going on six months later. Thankfully when I screamed at them over the phone to sort it or we would leave they magically did.
  7. Maggie

Maggie Member

Ratings:
    +82
    I believe you can pair the card yourself without calling sky, by use the hidden installers menu. Some old sage on this forum will confirm this or flame me for wrong advice, but if I am correct then you should be able to move your cards around with impunity following pairing them.
  8. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    You cannot pair subscription cards in this way besides which you also need to ring Sky to activate the Sky+ and Sky HD features on the relevant card.
  9. Maggie

Maggie Member

Ratings:
    +82
    When my sky+ was installed the viewing card had not arrived, as such the engineer paired his card to prove all the movie and sport channels were okay and left.

I was left a set of instructions on how to pair my card as and when it turned up, the next day when the card arrived, I carried out the pairing excercise without the need to call sky and got all the channels I had subscribed to.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008