Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Celcus 42" 3DTV who's got one?

Discussion in 'TV Technology: Smart TV, 3D, Ultra HD, 4K' started by JAMAL, Jun 5, 2012.

1. jpieter

jpieter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If any body is interested I have just got the Celcus to work using the Logitech Harmony one ,using SHARP as the TV make and using this model as the tv.

LC70LE836E

I had to add a few presses for power and 3d but it works perfect with
  2. ElaineS

ElaineS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased this tv last week, seems to be great except for one problem...at least once or twice a day a little box shows up asking if I want to Shut Down with option yes or no, I have never set a timer so don't understand why this keeps coming up every day.....obviously I have to go with No option but I don't want the box coming up on screen at all. Anyone else with this problem?
  3. grant666uk

grant666uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +355
    If you go into your setting you can change it too 2 hours 4 or off etc mines did the same.
  4. GuyFingers

GuyFingers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you do a factory reset? (I think I've seen the option in the menu somewhere) - then if something has been fiddled with accidentally, it'll be as it was when it was made!

Actually looking thru the Menu-->Settings--->other settings, there is an auto TV shut off - mine is set on 4hrs. Maybe if you dont touch any buttons for that amount of time, it will shut off but ask you first?
  5. jpieter

jpieter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If you go into the MENU then SETTINGS then OTHER SETTINGS and down to AUTO POWER OFF and set it to OFF then that will work.
    I had the same problem when i first got the TV, which is still working FANTASTIC and i have alot of 3D films now and are vey good.
  6. GuyFingers

GuyFingers Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a lot of 3d films too and initially I was thinking I'd have to convert them all to mpeg2 in order to play them trhu the USB port in the side of the TV.
    Then I looked at the possibility of playing them through a little mini pc I had, and bought new graphics cards and had problems trying to route the sound through the HDMI port.
    Now I have bought a CYCLONE Micro 2+ (media file player) for around £25 and it is AMAZING!
    It has a USB in (to which I connect a 160Gb external hard drive with all my films on) and an HDMI out. It plays mkv's, mp4's...everything. It also has co-ax dolby digital 5.1 out, runs on a small external transformer and has a remote control! Saved SO much headache. It really is an amazing little box. Best purchase for a while.
  7. jpieter

jpieter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I use a Sony 3D blu ray player which has a USB on the front to play all my 3d downloads ( which i have to convert to MPEG 2) and actual 3D bluray discs, i dont bother with the USB socket on the TV as it is a right sod to get to the socket at the back of the TV .
  8. GuyFingers

GuyFingers Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. jpieter

jpieter Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I must admit that conversion is in a real time , so AVATAR took 3 hours to convert.
    I have heard the Cyclone mentioned quite alot of before, i will definitely have a look , thanks
  10. sean99xbox

sean99xbox Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    i had the same problem as you but when i converted to mepg2 format it worked. but it really isnt that hard to set up a your laptop/desktop to your tv what you have to do is just connect your laptop/desktop to your tv with hdmi and then change the 3d settings to SBS but make sure your video is on full screen or when you put on your glasses its going to hurt trust me but if its on full screen its fine so try it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler Member

Ratings:
    +163
    Sean, check out post #68

Using a media-player is so much easier and usually gives better result's too

...and that's not to mention you don't need to buy an expensive pc/laptop :)
  12. gally56

gally56 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Brought this on Saturday (After my wife and I went in for a bottle of cillit bang as you do) Ok Picture is great sound is fine but my one niggle is the 3d so far I have downloaded a 3d movie (Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter) and also downloaded a 3d HSBS mpeg 2 file of the Adventures of Tin Tin and while I can play both films in 3d format side by side Im just not getting that wow factor as I did when I tried a 3d tv in argos by that I mean nothing is flying out of the screen and Im not swerving to dodge footballs. Can you kind people give me some tips on settings. I can see the 3d setting is there but just not getting that vibrant feel.
    Many thanks to you all for any help in advance Oh and im using virgin media and have 1.4 hdmi cable with ethernet
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  13. Shadowsan

Shadowsan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My experience of the 32 inch variant of this TV so far today, playing files from USB:

mp4's with AAC = works.
    mpeg2 with mp2 audio = works.

SBS file, 1080p and 720p format at 30fps, 29.97fps, and 23.94fps.

So. So far, so good!

Only realised that a source file at 60fps didn't work in mp4 - ran it through a converter to make it 30fps and... Bam. Worked first time.

So far it seems pretty versatile. And if all else fails, i'll end up just picking up a PS3 come the next payday anyways. Just don't tell the wife! ;)
  14. kartdemon

kartdemon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Just got one of these and very impressed. My Panasonic Plasma has been relegated to the kids now for thei WII.

I have the Celcus 47" all rigged up to my Onkyo 515 amp. Everything is almost their apart from ARC (Audio Retrun) for when I want to use the media player on the TV. No sound comes back through the AMP. Only the token gesture TV speakers. So does anyone know if this TV has audio return? All of my tests and settings would say no. If that is the case then I will have to get a optical cable to channel it back down to the amp. Not a big deal but trying to simplify all I can with cabling.

ARC anyone?

Thanks.
  15. moranicdays

moranicdays Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Gally56 they are not the best films for pop out at all
    Check on here for the best 3d pop out movies there is good list of them in the forum
    Also check that your eye level is direct to the TV or it won't really work
    I've been using my Celcus 42 inch since June and its ace for watching movies
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  16. gally56

gally56 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok got this set up lovely for picture and sound and 3d quality so thanks to everyone who helped me Now if I can been a tad more cheeky
    I have a MP4 file of Avatar that I want to put onto my memory stick o. On the Celcus manual it says it wil play avi in the following video format xvid 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.02 or xvid 1.10 beta 1/2 with audio PCM what video convertor (free is possible Im a tight git like that) can I use to convert to any of these avi formats with PCM audio
    Once again many thanks to all you experts out there.
  17. moranicdays

moranicdays Member

Ratings:
    +43
    Sent you a PM Mate
  18. The Half Boy

The Half Boy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bother everyone, but I have this TV with a Sony BDP-S490 and 3D movies are playing with bad ghosting, which has been observed with Dial M For Murder, and Toy Story 3. I'm completely new to the 3D TV game, and I didn't know if there was something simple I was missing which could fix the issue.

Thanks!
  19. moranicdays

moranicdays Member

Ratings:
    +43
    I know it may sound silly are you sat at eye level to the tv? And at least 3 meters away from the set
  20. The Half Boy

The Half Boy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am slightly below the TV, but I also tried it stood up, and at the far side of the room, bit with no change.
  21. moranicdays

moranicdays Member

Ratings:
    +43
    You have to be direct line of sight being above or below will cause ghosting
    If your still having problems do a reset in the settings
  22. lbear

lbear Active Member

Ratings:
    +336
    If you read back through this thread you should find the recommended viewing angles etc. The rule of thumb is your eye level must be no lower than the middle of the screen and ideally level with the top so you are SLIGHTLY looking down. If wall mounted, the TV should be tilted with the top further from the wall than the bottom. You will also need a neck support as your head will be tilted up.

The other thing you MUST do with this set is turn OFF the "Sharpness" and "Noise reduction" picture options. The former puts an edge where different brightnesses meet on screen, the latter puts the image slightly out of focus. Both compromise the 3D effect because of the artifacts they introduce. Also make sure you watch using the Natural or Movie settings (remember to turn off sharpness and noise red. on each option) rather than the "Dynamic" which is designed for use in brightly lit shops.

Third thing to do is to change the "zoom" setting to "Full". The "16:9" setting is a slight zoom that cuts off all sides of the picture by a few pixels. Not desperate with normal viewing but with 3D you need the complete picture for both eyes.
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  23. Noeljcurtis

Noeljcurtis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i got the murphy brand 42", i want to watch normal tv in 3d which these tvs cant do, is there a box you can get that can convert tv shows to 3d.
    cheers
  24. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler Member

Ratings:
    +163
  25. Noeljcurtis

Noeljcurtis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    cheers jas for the link. just to double check do you no if the 2d-3d conversion will work on the freeview channels so say the missus can watch her soaps in 3d
  26. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler Member

Ratings:
    +163
    Yes; it works on absolutely everything - FreeView (SD or HD), anything played via the media-player - even old homes movies - and of course DVD & Blu-rays :smashin:
  27. Noeljcurtis

Noeljcurtis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    looks like a will be getting one then. cheers jas:thumbsup:
  28. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler Member

Ratings:
    +163
    I see the price on Amazon has shot up to £180 (was £113 last night)

There's a couple of cheaper ones on eBay though :)
  29. The Half Boy

The Half Boy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That was brilliant, thank you. With the sharpness and noise reduction off, I managed to find the sweet spot. It's about three inches up and down. I guess I won't be slouching while watching in 3D!
  30. Noeljcurtis

Noeljcurtis Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ended out ordering the sony bdps490. Cheers j