Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cctv setup help!!!

Discussion in 'Home Automation, Lighting, Security & Climate' started by vxuvuxv, Dec 26, 2010.

1. vxuvuxv

vxuvuxv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Folks, hopefully I can receive some help here because Im at a loss....haha

I was fortunate enough to receive a set of CCTV equipment that I've decided to setup for my home.

From all the equipment it seems it was for a warehouse setup and over a network. I personally just want to have it set for the PTZ and DVR mainly, I believe I don't need the network hub that came with it. The following is what I have for this initial installation:

PTZ cameras:

BOSCH LTC 9230 EnviroDome

AMERICAN DYNAMICS RHODUL-05 outdoor dome and housing

I have about 2-3 each of the above. Below is my DVR:

Honeywell HFDVR

I also got a ULTRAK KSX3208L 32 x 8 Looping Video Matrix (Assuming for a network setup)

ULTRAK ULTRAKey (Wondering if I could use this with the basic setup I wish for)

ULTRAK MXSYS04E Ethernet System Controller (Probably don't need this as its for networking)

I'm trying to take the above and setup a CCTV getup, However from what I've gathered its not showing that I can. From what I've read I need RS485 and such which the looping has, but not the DVR. Please help and ask questions and I'll answer as best as possible.

Thanks in advance! :D
  2. phil5366

phil5366 New Member

Ratings:
    +275
    Have a look on my thread, it will show you through the proccess of setting up a CCTV Stystem, Click on the kink below to see if its of any help to you.

Regards

Phil
  3. vxuvuxv

vxuvuxv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What would be the exact link that would help me out? sorry Im new to this website as well! :)

Thanks in advance
  4. Soundy106

Soundy106 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Nice score! Not cheap equipment - the cameras are discontinued models, but originally retailed for around $2000!

I can't find any info on this. Do you have an exact model number for it?

Not specifically. This allows up to 32 cameras to be individually sent in any combination to up to 8 outputs... for example, to send some cameras to one TV, a different set of cameras to another. The network capability appears to be there to allow remote users to control the display as well. You're right, you shouldn't need it for your basic setup.

This is what you would use to control the PTZs. Without looking through an installation/user manual, I expect it can control the matrix as well.

Correct - this appears to be designed to connect the whole matrix, controller and video system to the network, for remote access.

It MAY be possible with the DVR, but as I say, I can't find anything searching on the name "HFDVR". An exact model number would be useful.

Other than that, you should be able to connect the cameras to the RS-485 output(s) on the ULTRAKey to control them. Since they came out of a working(?) system, I don't expect they'll need much configuration - they're probably already set for the proper communication parameters (along with the ULTRAKey) and assigned unique IDs. The only thing you MIGHT need to do is change their termination settings, depending on how it's wired up... but that's a bridge you can cross when you come to it. As it is now, it SHOULD be possible to connect the cameras and just have them work.

I think he was referring to this: http://www.avforums.com/forums/memb...home-cinema-refurbishment-2.html#post11891987

Just spent the last 20 minutes skimming all ten pages of the thread - I don't see anything there that applies to your situation. He has some pictures of his cameras (which, incidentally, look like kiddie toys next to yours), and the displays from his DVR, but next to nothing about actually installing and configuring a CCTV setup, particularly not one with industrial-grade gear like yours - the thread is mostly about his home theater setup. If it didn't link back to this site, it would almost look like someone is trying to drive click impressions. Save your mouse button.

(If you find this useful, feel free to send me one of those cameras ;) :D)
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  5. phil5366

phil5366 New Member

Ratings:
    +275
    Yawn:rotfl:
  6. Soundy106

Soundy106 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Are you referring to my specific replies to his questions, or my dismissal of your thread as being completely irrelevant to the OP?
  7. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,765
    Either way it's off topic so let's not go down that route lads, let's keep it on topic and stick to what the OP asked, thanks.
  8. vxuvuxv

vxuvuxv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! Finally someone that might be able to help! :) Anyway Here is a link to the manual in PDF form that shows the DVR. Its from Honeywell and they explain it as a "fusion"??? model... quite don't know what that defines. Yes, your right I did get extremely lucky for this set, however there are a ton of "preset" wiring that already have been "clipped" at the ends (which I assume I can just simply cut off for my own needed connections) that seem to be their own alarm setups... which I really don't need. My main goal is to hook up anywhere between 12-16 cams around the house that can be controlled via key and hooked up to the DVR and record. These are all PTZ cams so mobile movement would be ideal. I just dont need the IP stuff I think? Anyway Im at work so I'll supply more infor about everything when I get home, but here is the link for the manual for the DVR:http://www.honeywellvideo.com/documents/DRMU000834_J_Fusion_DVR-eng.pdf
  9. Soundy106

Soundy106 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    That's quite the machine! Based on the manual, it looks like the DVR CAN control the cameras - as fancy as the joystick is, you might want to hook the cameras up to the DVR - that should allow you to view AND control the cameras remotely. Plug the DVR into your home internet connection, and install the remote software on any other computers in the house. If you have a laptop, you put the remote software on that and access your system from anywhere in the world.

Looks like the DVR also has a web client, which means you could view it from a web browser, and again, SHOULD allow you to control the PTZ cameras from that... which allows you to check in on your house from pretty much any internet cafe, a friend's place, whatever.

Unfortunately, the web interface uses ActiveX, so it will only work on a PC with Internet Explorer. There MAY be third-party software out there that will let it work with a smartphone (iPhone, Blackberry, etc.) although I wouldn't count on that.

The alarm outputs are designed to allow the DVR to trigger external operations on various conditions - for example, it could trip your home alarm if movement is detected in a certain area during certain hours... or turn on lights when movement is detected in a room. The inputs allow you to trigger the DVR based on external information... say, a regular alarm motion sensor or maybe magnetic switches could cause the camera in that area to move to a specific preset, and cause the DVR to switch to a higher-quality recording mode as long as that sensor is tripped. There are LOT of options there... maybe not something you need to worry about right now, but something to keep in mind for the future.

Edit: BTW, I know a couple people who might be interested in throwing you some cash for your unused gear... PM me if you're interested.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  10. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,765
    Any trades/sales on this forum must be done via the Classifieds section and not via boards outside of these or PM, so if there is going to be any sale on here please use them, thanks :thumbsup:
  11. Soundy106

Soundy106 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Umm... okay. OP, if you're interested in unloading that other gear, post an ad in the Classifieds to I can refer the (potentially) interested parties to it.
  12. vxuvuxv

vxuvuxv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello folks and a happy new year!

Sorry been busy lately... anyhow back to me issues :laugh:

So I know a "basic" setup uses RS485, which my below par current setup uses. The Honeywell Fusion DVR has what is called a "RS422" getup. Is that the same as the RS485? I dont have - and + to justify the correct hook up like the RS485... The Matrix loop has the "RS485" and no RS422 :confused: I cant get buy the initial connections to get this to work correctly.

On another note for the HDVR. I got the DVR working by plugging the needed power supply and monitor. There is two slots for HDD inserting, labeled as "1" and "2". When I plug each one in and turn the DVR on I get through all the startup screens like a regular PC, however after the RAM count it take me to another screen stating HDD media not found :confused: Do I need some sort of program installed to get this thing working? and it seems whatever was on the two HDD to begin with is unaccessible to me because of this error screen I'm getting.

Thanks for the help! :D
  13. Soundy106

Soundy106 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    One part of the manual you linked for that thing shows the data port as RS422, but in another section it states it has a "Built-in RS-422/485 Interface". So you should be fine, you just need the right connector. Section 7 of the manual definitely calls it RS-485, though, and shows the pinouts - you just need the actual connector (or if you're feeling brave, open the thing up and make your connections internally).
  14. vxuvuxv

vxuvuxv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So since the connection relies on the connector tips I can just hook up the lines for a RS 485 hook up instead of the RS422 they keep mentioning? Also each of the manuals for the cameras also state a RS422 setup or some other getup like a Manchester and starcom? ... since the DVR can accept RS485 I assume the cameras can be set for that as well right? Would this setup be easier btw if I do something called a "daisy chain"? and how would that be different than hooking up everything individually? less time? Im going to look at the diagram form section 7... can I take that exact pin setup for the cameras and attach the connector to the ends of both DVR and camera and expect it to work? Please advise! :)

Thank You
  15. Soundy106

Soundy106 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    It SHOULD work to simply connect the two "receive data" (sometimes marked RD or RX) pins on the cameras, to the two "signal line" pins on the DVR. RS-422 parlance usually labels them as RD(A) for negative and RD(B) for positive, so those would connect to the "Signal Line -" and "Signal Line+" pins respectively. If the cameras are marked for RS-485, they'll probably be labeled "RX-" and "RX+". The DVR SHOULD be able to auto-sense whether the cameras are using RS-422 or 485; the wiring will be the same either way.

So, assume you were using some basic speaker wire - one white, one black. You could connect the white to the Signal + on the DVR, then to RX+ or RD(B) on the camera; the black would go from Signal - on the DVR to RX- or RD(A). If that doesn't work, try switching the polarity.

After testing one camera, if that works, you can connect a second camera by either running its wires straight to the DVR as well, or by connecting them to the first camera (so the second camera's RX+ or RD(B) wire goes to the first camera's RX+/RD(B)... same for RX-/RD(A)) - either way, it's a parallel circuit. If daisy-chaining in this way, however, you need to check the "termination" setting on the cameras: the last one in the chain should have termination turned on; all the others should be off.

After that, the only concern is setting the baud rate, communication parameters, protocol and camera IDs correctly, but since this was a previously-installed-and-working system, all that should already be set up. The only thing you'll need to make sure of is that the ID number on the camera matches the setting of the channel you're plugged into... for example, if you have a camera that's set as ID001, you need to go into the channel on the DVR that that camera is connected to, and configure it to use ID001 as well. Most cameras will display all the necessary info - baud rate (2400/4800/9600 are common), comm parameters (8N1 is the usual), and ID number - when you power them up. If not, you'll have to check the configuration switches on the cameras.
  16. vxuvuxv

vxuvuxv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I checked through the rest of the stash of cams I have, and I also have a couple of indoor cams one from:

American Dynamics (PAL)

0101-0075-02

I hooked it up to the basic settings I have for a RS485 getup and I get video feed, however its not in color and in black and white... The cam specs state its a color cam. I read the troubleshoot section of the manual included with the camera and it states to "open iris" or "auto iris" where are those options located?Hope a get some help for my questions soon...Thanks

P.S.

Does being PAL for the cam affect anything? I mean on the camera it has a NTSC model too... I live in he USA so would that make it impossible to use it here?
  17. vxuvuxv

vxuvuxv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All these cameras keep mentioning as well three setups:
    Manchester
    Sensornet
    RS-422

for "address" purposes? Is that a network setting? can I skip this if I wish? and when I do the connector setup for a RS485 hook up can I leave it on the option for RS-422?
  18. Soundy106

Soundy106 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    If the "PAL" in that camera name refers to the PAL video standard, then your DVR must also be set to use PAL (you're in the US, which means it's probably set for NTSC, which is the North American video standard; PAL is used in most of Europe and Asia). That could explain why you're getting picture in B&W.

It's also possible, if it's a day/night camera, that it's in "night" mode and it's either just too dark for it to switch, or there's something else preventing it from switching... but it sounds like the problem is just that the video standards are incompatible.

The "address" probably refers to the same thing as the ID number I mentioned above - it gives each camera a unique identifier. Without it, you wouldn't be able to connect them all to a single wire run. Normally, the controller/DVR sends out commands, and all the cameras receive them... however, the commands will include the desired ID number, and only the camera with that ID will actually listen to the commands.

If the cameras give you the option to switch between those three settings, you'll want to use RS-422. This SHOULD be compatible with RS-485 on the DVR.
  19. vxuvuxv

vxuvuxv Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the fast replies!

Well the above cam has a sticker with two boxes:

0101-0075-01 (NSTC)

0101-0075-02 (PAL)

And the bottom one for PAL is checked off (I assume they have different standards like you've said and they were cutting costs with using this label to tell the differences)

For my Honeywell Fusion DVR I need a OS installed into the HDD to have it run correctly right? The manual I've uploaded as a link states the OS needs to be Windows 2000. Would Windows XP work? Also I need the software cd in order to operate this DVR correctly right? I have all the gear but no software. Can I get this from the internet? I've searched but to no avail, can't really find also due to I dont know what the actual name of the software is... just be typing in google as Honeywell dvr software and no luck. Can I call the company (Honeywell) and get the software if all else fails? do they charge for it? also can I substitute another program if I cant find the original?

Thanks
  20. Soundy106

Soundy106 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    That's actually pretty common for a lot of manufacturers, to use the same packaging for a range of products and just have a check-box on the label to indicate which one is actually in it.

Ummm, yeah.... it's a PC-based system. You mean they wiped the system drive before shipping it out?? That's kinda cheesy. Data drive(s), I can see, but system drive?

Hard to say. PROBABLY, but it would depend mainly on the proper drivers being available for the capture hardware.

If the system drive has been wiped, then yes, you'd need the software. You'd have to reinstall the OS, then the DVR software, then configure it.

Stuff like that is unlikely to be readily available on the 'net. The software would probably only work with the hardware in that machine, so there would be little point in spreading it on the 'net (not like something common such as GeoVision). And as you say, it's hard to know exactly what to look for without knowing the name of the software.

Probably.

No idea. They might want a nominal charge... or they may provide it free on the assumption the hardware has already been paid for. They may also let you download the software for free, but then require registration keys that they charge for. I've seen all three models used for different DVRs.

[qoute]also can I substitute another program if I cant find the original?[/QUOTE]
    Highly unlikely. It would depend mainly on the capture hardware used - again, you'd need to find drivers for it, and then they'd have to be WDM-compatible drivers for any kind of generic software to talk to them.

I think contacting Honeywell would be your best bet. Some manufacturers actually create an image of a completed machine that can be readily restored with OS and software should the system drive die, similar to most new computers these days... they may be able to provide a DVD with such an image, if they operate that way.