Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Caught speeding with hand held radar gun

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by Liquid101, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Liquid101

Liquid101 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Had a frantic phone call this morning from the girlfriend saying that she'd been caught speeding on the way out of our village. She said a Policemen stepped out and pointed his radar gun at her, and that she was doing 'about 38mph' in a 30mph zone.

However, when I spoke to her later about it, she said that the policemen never actually stopped her. The way I see it, if he didn't actually stop her, then he is unlikely to prosecute. I asked her if he put his hand up, or motioned in any way that she should stop. She said he may have put his hand up, but thought maybe he was just telling her to slow down.

My question is this:

Has anybody had a speeding ticket from a hand held radar gun where the ticket was issued by post.

Thanks.
  2. Loftusrd1980

Loftusrd1980 Member

Ratings:
    +90
  3. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    It might not be all bad.

You have to consider that they might be lenient and offer 10% + 2 mph over the limit. Also, a lot of speedos read faster than the actual speed. Coupled together, she might have got lucky.

Wait for 14 days to see if anything shows up.
  4. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,744
    Stopping the person is the preferred option.
    However, if the officer cannot do so (unsafe etc.), then they can issue a fixed penalty/summons by post.
    Alternatively, they must just be 'letting people know' they're monitoring speed in that area.

No clear cut answer I'm afraid, she'll just have to wait it out.
    They have the same time constraints to issue a postal summons/fixed penalty as they do with cameras.
    So, very basically, she'll have a nervous 2-3 week wait.

Hopefully, she's learned her lesson too.
    38mph in a 30mph zone is equivalent 89mph in a 70mph zone.
  5. neildave

neildave Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Keep your fingers crossed and wait until 4 weeks. The official period is 4 weeks. If you don't receive any notice in 4 weeks time then you are lucky.
  6. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,754
    4 weeks?!

Everywhere I've read says 14 days for a NIP :confused:
  7. Liquid101

Liquid101 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    Thanks, Guys.

I read something similar - just wondered if their was any real world data available.

The speed limit has changed in the last few weeks from 40 to 30, so I suspect they're just letting everybody know it is being monitored. I for one am used to driving at 40 through this village, so slowing down to 30 does feel unnaturally slow. I think she was just on autopilot this morning and forgot about the new restrictions.
  8. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    14 days + postage (which is only a couple of days)
    Only exclusion to that is hire or leased cars, where they have time to write to the hire/lease company, then to the driver.
    4 weeks is not normal at all, where the driver is also the owner.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. DPinBucks

DPinBucks Active Member

Ratings:
    +961
    The policeman holding the gun would not normally signal you to stop: he wouldn't have time. If they're going to stop you at all, the usual thing is to have a patrol car further up the road. They could, though, issue a summons by post.

In fact, if her speedo said 38, then it was probably more like a real 35, and they are unlikely to prosecute. If they did, though, depending on her area she might be offered a place on a Speed Awareness Course. These cost about the same as a fine, plus a few hours of your time, but you don't get points or have to inform your insurance company.

At the very worst, if she does get done, and gets points, it is unlikely to affect her insurance (unless she is a very young or new driver?). These days, even though it's an offence against the law, it's hardly considered to be The Crime Of The Century.
  10. krish

krish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,013
    I've often seen Police doing this to motorway traffic on bridges over the M40, so if caught over the limit here, it presumably would be a postal notification
  11. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,754
    Do they not use cameras as opposed to radar guns?
  12. Liquid101

Liquid101 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,910
    I thought these were mobile cameras as well. No way they could get your reg number as you were flying past.

I'm pretty confident she'll get away with it. The road was straight and quiet with a space to pull in - if he'd really wanted to book her, he would have stopped her.
  13. DJT75

DJT75 Active Member

Ratings:
    +638
    I'm pretty sure I had a summons through the post from a hand held gun about 12 years ago. It was 1-2am in the morning in the middle of nowhere Surrey on my way driving back from a flight to Gatwick. I don't remember being stopped (sorry, hazy memory) but I definitely got done for something ridiculous like 37mph in a 30 with not another car in sight.

Then again, I've also been pulled over near my home doing 45mph in a 30 (lack of concentration), shown the speed recording & told to slow down - nothing else, completely got away with it & as a young man in a bright red BMW Coupe too! - strange.

They generally do have time, unless you're absolutely bombing it. They'll get you clocked a couple of hundred metres away & just stick their hand up, easily got time. The other patrol car is generally there for those that don't stop!!
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  14. PJTX100

PJTX100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    I had a pretty much identical situation 3 or 4 months ago. Same sort of speed. Wasn't stopped. Have heard nothing.

A few years prior I was zapped by one of those tripod mounted jobbies they point at your number plate to measure the speed. Dead straight road, he must have clocked me for 30 secs or more while slowly accelerating from below 30 to just below 40 in a 30 zone. Wasn't stopped, but I was pretty sure I'd be done. Heard nothing.
  15. Beany31

Beany31 Active Member

Ratings:
    +207
    I thought they take down the number plate as well. I used one of these at a uni trip in Northern Ireland and I can't remember if the radar gun takes down registration or not.

Also like people have said 14 days is usually the period to hear something.
  16. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,754
    The radar guns you hold just have the speed, unless they have changed recently to include a camera - which I've not heard of so I would doubt it.
    I thought any cameras had to be marked, like the vans that sit about which have camera markings on them...?
  17. Steve.J.Davies

Steve.J.Davies Active Member

Ratings:
    +211
    Wrong about the postage. its 14 days to serve not to post.
    As you say there are exceptions but they are nothing to do with a lease company. Its 14 days to serve the first NIP, after that they can take longer.
    The exceptions are due to recent ownership changes or problems with the police getting the data.
    See the Gidden case - Neutral Citation Number: [2009] EWHC 2924 (Admin)
  18. Harj

Harj Member

Ratings:
    +34
    My argument would be, that If I was speeding and was considered dangerous , then why wasn't I reported and stopped by a patrol car? After all if you are speeding is it not considered dangerous? And if it is dangerous why isn't the danger stopped by a policeman flagging you down or pulling you over,what purpose does it serve to let a 'dangerous speeding driver' continue his journey?

That would be my argument when I appeal a ticket against one of those hand held radar guns, I f I got a ticket that is.
  19. Beany31

Beany31 Active Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Yeah they do have to be marked.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. kBm

kBm Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Are you sure it was the police and not the support officers? She may end up with a letter warning her of her crime and asked not to do it again.
  21. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    Local residents are often given permission to use radar guns too.
    They take the details of the offenders, then the police will send a letter to the owner saying they've been seen speeding and 'reminded' of the law.
    I've volunteered to do this where I live, as I'm sick to the back teeth of the 30mph being treated as advisory, not compulsory.:mad:
  22. kBm

kBm Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Somewhere en route to Buxton there is a dummy with a high vis jacket, holding out a cardboard radar gun that is tied to a lampost. You certainly slow down until you realise! :D
  23. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,744
    I'd allow people to ignore the 30mph limit where I live, on the understanding that anyone breaking it may be taken out by a sniper.
    You feeling lucky, punk?
  24. John

John Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,624
    Moved to motoring
  25. wack

wack Active Member

Ratings:
    +281
    They prosecute at 37mph in a 30 as my dad has just had a NIP, even if she does get a NIP you may still get offered the speed awareness job creation scheme
  26. Steve.J.Davies

Ratings:
    +211
    No they do not. they have used vans disguised as builders vans and even a horse box.
  27. Steve.J.Davies

Ratings:
    +211
    Your argument would be dismissed and or ignored apart from one aspect of it, it will be taken as a confession that you were speeding.
    And it has flip side you should consider.
    If the officer (in uniform) tried to wave you down and you carried on they will have a second offence to charge you with.

Either it was a proper enforcement or it was neighbourhood watch.

You will have to wait and see what arrives. How long has the vehicle been registered to you and have you changed address recently ?
  28. PJTX100

PJTX100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    Slightly ironic statement considering the FZR400RRSP is a motorbike. :D
  29. Harj

Harj Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Well, I see your point, but if you are caught speeding by a camera, why is a patrol car not intercepting you? If you are speeding then surely you are a danger to other road users?
  30. Steve.J.Davies

Ratings:
    +211
    Thats subjective. Its the objective issues you need to be concerned about.