Car warranty from Warranty Direct

qwerty321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to buy a car soon, within the next month or so and Im looking at a Megane. I know they probably aren't the most reliable cars in the world but I like them. When I do get one Im considering taking out a warranty from Warranty Direct.

Just wondering if they are actually worth it. The cars I am looking at will be under 60,000 and they state on their site that for that milage they will cover 100% of the parts and labour cost. Are they true to their word or do they pile on lots of hidden charges?

I took out a Warranty direct policy on the wife's Clio 2 weeks ago, as the Renault warranty ran out on 26/4.
I'm paying £20 a month for their top-line product.
I'm covered for failure and wear and tear on everything bar consumables (brake pads/tyres etc.), the catalytic convertor and the stereo.
Seems fair enough to me.
I could have got engine and transmission cover only for £10 a month, but I figured it was more likely to be something electrical that goes, so I bit the bullet and took the full cover.
I did a reasonable amount of research and they seem to be legit enough.
Their FAQ's reassured me that I shouldn't have much/any problems.
As with any insurance policy, you just have to make sure you stick to your part of the bargain.
So if it says "the car must be serviced to manufacturer's schedule", then you must do it etc.

Last edited:
Thanks. Most likely I will go for the top end one as well. Comes to around £375.

Ouch, that's close to double what we're paying.
Mind you, our car has only done 18000 miles so we're probably classed as much lower risk.

Good luck, whatever you do.

Thanks. Most likely I will go for the top end one as well. Comes to around £375.
Have you looked at Tesco's warranty? I can't remember the exact cover bands for age/mileage, but I've got a 2005/30,000 mile Boxster covered for £425 on their "Finest" policy. I think IanJ went for it on his, too.

we had a policy with them on our polo think it only cost £130 had to claim for a new injector when it broke down fixed no problem

Ouch, that's close to double what we're paying.
Mind you, our car has only done 18000 miles so we're probably classed as much lower risk.

Good luck, whatever you do.

What Im looking at for the quotes is 2003 with around 50,000 miles. However, it is a 1.9 Diesel and the Megane has more equipment than the Clio.

EDIT: Tesco have quoted £339 for a car with 50k on the clock. Tesco have simple chart showing the cost for engine sizes. Ill look into the Tesco one to see what they cover exactly. One thing with them is after 1 year of using the car, I wont qualify for the top level of cover due to the age.

Last edited:
We have both our cars covered with Warranty Direct, they are about the best of the aftermarket warranty companies IMHO.

Just one thing though - ignore any price you get from them on the internet. If you ring them up (or just leave it a day or so after getting a quote on the internet - they will ring you), they will offer you a better price in 99% of cases. When I took out our cover I got them down about 30% on the internet quote for my wife's car, and 35% on my car.

£375 definitely sounds too much - I'm paying less than that for a Luxury Care Plus policy on my Jag.

My wife's policy (2003 Merc A-Class with 45k miles) is costing us just over £200/year.

price seams reasonable

huge number of bits not covered and get out clause including the "existing" fault

big reductions for high miles as well

id be worried about a modern hi tech car thats got lots of bits in it not listed, like my DSG gearbox "ahh but sir that's a double grommet flange whirler shaft and thats not listed on the policy"

However, it is a 1.9 Diesel and the Megane has more equipment than the Clio.

No offence, but you have no idea what level of trim my wife's Clio is, so you cannot possibly assume your Megane has more equipment.
My wife's car has all the usual electric gismos + aircon + special headlights.
I can't think of anything a Megane would have that our particular Clio wouldn't.

I do agree with what 'Magslad' regarding warranty Direct's prices.
When I got an online quote, they quickly followed it up with a phone call saying they would reduce the price because of the low mileage.
So definitely worth a call to them asking what they could do.

Last edited:
No offence, but you have no idea what level of trim my wife's Clio is, so you cannot possibly assume your Megane has more equipment.
I can't think of anything a Megane would have that our particular Clio wouldn't.

My Clio is a Dynamique and I'm pretty sure that the Megane Dynamiqe has all of the same gizmo's but also has keyless entry/start IIRC

I'd want more than £20 a month to cover anything from france:D
Although to be fair the clio's ain't too bad for a giant small car, the lagunas on the other hand :suicide:

I do agree with what 'Magslad' regarding warranty Direct's prices.
When I got an online quote, they quickly followed it up with a phone call saying they would reduce the price because of the low mileage.
So definitely worth a call to them asking what they could do.

Didnt meant to assume straight off, just worded my post incorrectly. From what Ive seen most Meganes have more equipment but yours probably does have more options. Also the Megane Dynamique doesnt come with keyless entry as standard, only when picked as an option. Ive seen a few with this option added but for me a lower milage car is higher priority. One of the things the Megane has is the start/stop button which is something important to the car, that goes wrong and you would have a little trouble!

I actually got a call from them today but was about to set out so asked them to call me later. When I do get a car Ill just do another quote and wait for them to call me.

Last edited:
I'd want more than £20 a month to cover anything from france:D
Although to be fair the clio's ain't too bad for a giant small car, the lagunas on the other hand :suicide:

Can't vouch for Lagunas, no experience of them.
But our Clio hasn't had a thing go wrong in three years.
Not even a bulb.
Even the servicing was free!
So all it has cost me, on top of the payments (obviously) is;

Fuel (easy 50mpg)
Roadtax (£35 a year)
New set of wipers (£36 from the Halfords)
Two new front tyres (£106)

Not bad for three years motoring, is it.:cool:

Just got off the phone to the guy who called me this morning. For the top level of cover he quoted £298, that was without me even attempting to haggle! Ive asked him to save the quote and he will be sending me the details. When I get a car Ill try and haggle them down some more :p

price seams reasonable

huge number of bits not covered and get out clause including the "existing" fault

big reductions for high miles as well

id be worried about a modern hi tech car thats got lots of bits in it not listed, like my DSG gearbox "ahh but sir that's a double grommet flange whirler shaft and thats not listed on the policy"

This is exactly what I am worried about the clause on "existing" faults. Insurers are very happy in selling their polices but when it comes to paying out claims, it is very easy for them to hide behind the small prints.

They also claim they cover "wear and tear". I wonder how real it is.

My Audi A4 is 7 years old and has always been serviced by the dealer. Although it has a full dealer service history, it does not mean it does not have existing faults. Cars of this age obviously have their wear and tear. Would it count as "existing" faults?

Has anyone got any experience with making claims from Warranty Direct?

Thanks for sharing experince

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom