1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Tyre Damage - ignore, repair or replace ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by J80FAB, Dec 27, 2007.

1. J80FAB

J80FAB Member

Ratings:
    +91
    I recently decided to change my car tyres.

I did the change is 2 phases - in September fronts were replaced. This week I decided it wise to change the other 2 due to age rather than wear & tear.

Anyway I was checking the new front driver's side tyre a couple of days ago & noticed some minor damage - a small part of the rubber tread had a fairly deep cut - as deep as the tread itself - and that a fairly small piece of the corner of the tread had been cut to the point that it will probably come away eventually.

Then within the actual adjacent main groove I noticed another cut about 2cm in length, depth unknown.

I've obviously been unfortunate to have driven over broken bottle glass without seeing it.

Now my main concern is the cut in the rubber in the actual groove itself. As this isn't a part of the rubber tread the thickness of the rubber is much less in the groove.

The tyre can't be punctured as it is not deflating. However I'm not sure whether the cut is serious enough for it to effect the rest of the tyre structure beneath the rubber.

Someone is probably going to tell me to get it checked out to be on the safe side.

Though I was wondering if anyone has ever had something similar & what they did to rectify it.

Thanks
  2. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Not worth taking any risks.

Take it to a pro, it will only cost around a tenner to get their opinion.
  3. Kieron

Kieron Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,666
    Replace it. No question about it.
  4. Stinger69

Stinger69 Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Agreed. I had a front tyre blow out on me many years ago, and it wrote off my pride and joy!
    The problem with asking a tyre fitter advice is that, to be honest, without an x-ray, how do they know the extent of the damage or the effect it will have on structural integrity during an extreme manoeuvre eg swerving at 70mph or very hard braking?
    I'm sure you'll get replies from people who have driven around for decades on tyres that are bald, damaged and god knows what else without so much as a hiccup, but it isn't worth it in my opinion.

Andy.
  5. geomuss

geomuss Member

Ratings:
    +178
    stick the spare on!
    unless its one of those kids wheel things :rotfl:
  6. ufitsy

ufitsy Active Member

Ratings:
    +266
    This happened to me a few years ago, I went back to the retailer (kwik fit IIRC) & they replaced the tyre free of charge as it was less than 3 months from new - give it a go.
  7. Sporran

Sporran Member

Ratings:
    +145
    yes some brands will give you a percentage discount based on the percentage worn.
  8. Londondecca

Londondecca Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Replace it
  9. J80FAB

J80FAB Member

Ratings:
    +91
    The tyre pair in question was purchased from Costco - cheap @ £41 for a Michelin Energy 185/60 14" fully fitted but probably not the ideal place to buy if you are looking for the sort of aftercare you might get from a highstreet retailer like Kwikfit, particularly when 'damage' has been caused by something lying on the road.

Although being cheap I certainly now wish I had gone to a 'proper' tyre retailer & changed all 4 tyres made by the same manufacturer at once rather than trying to skrimp & save.

As I said before the cut/splice within one of the main grooves between the tread is only about 2 to 2.5cm long, but it's impossible to tell how deep it is & whether it may have an effect on the carcass & other materials which form the rest of the tyre.

As mentioned it certainly might be the case that I could drive for miles/years without attending to it & nothing would happen. However it's a front tyre & in general tyres have to put up with a lot of strain and flexing so that's why I'm a little concerned.

The other pair I had replaced this week - a lesser known brand which were on offer - were done at ATS Euromaster. So I'll probably go there again with the 'damaged' Michelin.

Thanks for your replies & I'll update the thread after I've been to ATS.
  10. raigraphixs

raigraphixs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,719
    i was in the same position a few months back, my front tyres were worn, and noticed back tyre had a cut!, so i changed all 4 as there was a discount on 4th. I would not risked driving on motorway knowing i had a cut on a tyre.
  11. JagoUK

JagoUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +565
    i like to think of myself as a safe, observant driver. the other day was driving down the road at 60mph when two cars came round the corner i was approaching. the car behind slid into my lane then onto my side verge then back accross to the other lane before landing in a hedge.

now even though i consider myself safe and managed to realise what was happening and slow down before he even hit the verge on my side(thing was over in seconds/yards). i dread to think what would of happened if i didnt change my tyres at the first sign of trouble

so even if you think you can be safe, it doesnt make other drivers safe and doesnt stop accidents from happening. you spotted a problem, now go sort it :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. J80FAB

J80FAB Member

Ratings:
    +91
    Well I went to ATS yesterday & the guy just said that it doesn't look to be anything serious so I felt a bit of a noob but did go and buy a tube of superglue just in case !!! :rotfl:

The 2 front tyres are Michelin Energy 3a which are supposedly better than budget brands with a better quality construction so hopefully all will be OK. I guess there's always the spare if something does happen.

Having had these new Michelin tyres attached to the front of the car and the old Pirellis removed I'm now having the misfortune of experiencing something else when driving :suicide:

At any speed a sort of light 'thud, thud, thud' can be felt most of the time which seems to come from the front wheels. All wheels/tyres have been balanced & the steering wheel doesn't wobble.

Initially I thought a stone or something else had stuck to the tread causing this rhythmic thudding. However this isn't the case.

I'm not 100% certain but with the old Pirellis I occassionally felt something similar but to a lesser extent, unless it was down to the road surface I kept driving over at the time.

Now assuming that the tyre isn't faulty because it is new, what could be causing this - worn bearings perhaps ? :( The car has only done 22000 miles.
  13. geomuss

geomuss Member

Ratings:
    +178
    A knocking can really be anything from driveshafts to wishbones, suspension etc you name it.

Jack the motor up have a look too see if there is anything obvious, if not get it to the garage
    Any knocking is not good so get it checked, sharp. you are better looking like a dofus if its nothing, than to find out it could have been serious. :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. J80FAB

J80FAB Member

Ratings:
    +91
    It's not a really bad knocking as such, but a lighter thud as I've already mentioned pretty similar to when I once had a scrunched up piece of rubber from what seemed to be a burst balloon stick to the front tyre giving a light rhythmic 'thudding' effect as it rotated.

Having driven my Ibiza from new for the last 4 years and 22000 miles I know that what I'm picking up from the front wheels isn't normal and hasn't been there before. As you say it could be down to a number of things, or perhaps it's just an issue with the tyre itself.

I'm planning to wash the car tomorrow weather permitting as it's filthy so I'll do some basic checks.

As for jacking up the car I'm a bit weary of doing that because knowing my luck it would probably drop on my head ! Plus I'm not really up on car mechanics.
  15. Londondecca

Londondecca Member

Ratings:
    +108
    Because I am currently suffering from a near fatal dose of man flu, I am not clear if the damaged tyres are still on the car. If they are I would not accept the advice from the ATS guy unless he is willing to state in writing the tyres are completely safe. My strongest advice would be to replace them as soon as possible, if they are still on the car.

As for the knocking, any decent garage should be able to investigate this quite easily
  16. J80FAB

J80FAB Member

Ratings:
    +91
    There is only 1 front Michelin tyre on the car with the 2 cuts - one minor cut into the tread & a small one in one of the grooves between the tread - inflicted by the broken glass and it is on the driver's side.

That tyre and the other Michelin on the front passenger side are still on the car.

Both of these new tyres were fitted mid-September to the rear & the 4 year old Pirelli rears brought to the front which I understand is standard practice due to new tyres having better grip hence being placed to the rear.

Last week I decided to change the old front Pirellis so I requested ATS to mount the 2 new Riken tyres they had on offer to the rear & bring the Michelins to the front.

ATS claim that the Michelins had been balanced incorrectly & took off the weights from the front driver's side tyre which has the 'damage'.

As mentioned before I don't suffer any steering wheel wobble/judder at speed so I'm assuming that the balancing is correct & is not the cause of the light 'thudding' I have described.

It's difficult to ascertain but I get the feeling that the 'thudding' comes from the front Michelin tyre on my side.

Thanks for your advice :thumbsup: & I hope you man flu gets better :)
  17. geomuss

geomuss Member

Ratings:
    +178
    I always put the new tyres to the front (if it is front wheel drive).
    They are the ones that wear down quickest as the back ones are really only dragging.
  18. The Dude

The Dude Active Member

Ratings:
    +252
    :lesson:

You've identified (Yourself) a problem with one of the front tyres (your side), and have possibly identified (yourself) a problem (thudding) coming from one of the front tyres (your side)

Get it replaced, before you get 'replaced'. ;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. J80FAB

J80FAB Member

Ratings:
    +91

Well exactly, but some garages and/or manufacturers stipulate that if you are changing only the 2 front tyres then the new ones should go to the rear & the rears should be rotated to the front. Something to do with there being a guaranteed better grip.

As I mentioned previously Costco where I bought the Michelins will only fit 2 new tyres this way. They will refuse to fit them to the front even if you request this ! They do this in conjunction with what the manufacturer - Michelin in this case - stipulates. If you go to Michelins website then it reiterates this type of fitting.

Without looking for it on the website I think Kwik-Fit or Hi-Q or both also mention this - whether they do it I don't know - but I don't think that ATS Euromaster do.

Just had a quick look & this is what Kwik-Fit says :

http://www.kwik-fit.com/tyre-rotation.asp

Actually being replaced sounds like a better option to me, at least then I'd be free from my miserable existence !!! :eek: :rotfl:
  20. geomuss

geomuss Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Thats quite a weird one, simply for the fact say your two rear tyres have 1mm left of legality then surely sticking them on the front were they will be under far more strain and wear would be asking for trouble.
    Or alternatively its another way for the tyre companies to make cash as you will not take long to go through the ones transferred from the back, which is probably more to the point! ;)
  21. EddyHorn

EddyHorn Member

Ratings:
    +73
    Not wierd at all. It's to keep the grip predictable; on a FWD car low grip on the front will make the car understeer predictably and relatively safely, low grip on the rear can cause very unpredictable handling, most notably snap lift off oversteer which could cause the car to spin if lifting off the power or braking whilst cornering.

EDIT: Video here featuring VBH demonstrates why new tyres should go on the rear: http://www.etyres.co.uk/flashmovies/new-tyres-rear-etyres.htm
  22. J80FAB

J80FAB Member

Ratings:
    +91

Well if there was only 1mm left on the rear tyres then I guess anyone who realised that they were worn would change all 4 tyres rather than just the 2 worn front ones & you would most probably be advised to do so by the garage in any case.

Anyway I did some basic inspection today - checking that the nuts are not loose on the wheels, that's how basic it was ! - & they were fine.

One thing I did notice is that ATS has kindly left some 'plastic surgery' where the car was jacked up with a jack front & rear on both sides of the vehicle :suicide: and a nice deep scratch which I've managed to T-cut.

Pardon my English but what a bunch of friggin muppets :mad: These days wherever you take your car it seems to leave the place with something else wrong with it !!! I just can't believe how incompetent these places are that they can't jack-up a car without inflicting some form of damage ! The tyres were done by a youngish guy which basically shows how rubbish he must be and begs the question whether he has brought on this light thudding with his poor quality workmanship. I'm fed up :( Certainly won't be going back to that place again.

I'm not prepared to take the car to a private garage to investigate the issue because they usually turn out to be crooks aswell :rolleyes: There's a Kwik-Fit & Hi-Q both just down the road, which one to plump for ?