1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

car servicing question

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by $lim$hady, Apr 18, 2008.

1. $lim$hady

$lim$hady Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Hey all

Can someone give me a quick guide to car service. I have a new Peugeot 206 which I have had for 1 year and 4 months, it’s a 55 plate (2006) and for the last 2 months it’s been giving me the service light, I am currently 800 miles over the service.

I wanted to know if I need to book it for a service or can I just wait till next year when my mot runs out and maybe just get both done then?

Also is the one type of service or 3, reason I ask is AA seem to have a 3 tier service (6month, 12month, Full and 24month major service) or is that AA being AA?

$$
  2. deanym

deanym Member

Ratings:
    +105
    Get it serviced.

If not the warranty on your car will be invalid.
  3. Hitby

Hitby Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    a above, get it serviced. Properly. Not servicing a car will just shorten its life. In extreme cases, you could also be taking your life into your own hands. Brake discs and pads SHOULD be checked at a service along with cambelt, oils and filters
  4. Loftusrd1980

Loftusrd1980 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    Again another pro service response it will also reduce the sellabilty if not the value of your car in future plus affecting your warranty if it hasn't already.
  5. Layne RIP

Layne RIP Member

Ratings:
    +16
    It will need to be serviced by a recognised Peugeot garage, to keep the warranty valid.... id get it done soon too, as some warranties void if your car has done too many miles over it's allotted service schedule!!

Servicing is done on mileage... each car has different intervals:

98- Petrol 2 Years / 20,000 Miles (whichever comes first)
    02-04 1.4 HDi 2 Years / 12,000 Miles
    04- 1.4 HDi 2 Years / 20,000 Miles
    98-02 1.9 Diesel 2 Years / 10,000 Miles
    00-04 2.0 HDi 2 Years / 12,000 Miles
    04-05 2.0 HDi 2 Years / 20,000 Miles
  6. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Ratings:
    +4,976
    No it won't as that practice was outlawed a few years ago. The car must be serviced in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations but it is no longer necessary for the car to be serviced by one of their authorized dealers
  7. Layne RIP

Layne RIP Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry it's been a few years since i work for Peugeot!!
  8. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok Member

Ratings:
    +136
    As IanJ says, in accordance with the service schedule, using OE quality parts or better, done by a VAT registered company whom can prove the necessary skills to do the job. Your local back-street garage can do it probably cheaper than any main dealer, but use one you know and trust or which comes with a good recommendation.
    Main dealers though can be worse than back-street garages. A mate of mine once had a car in which had a full set of dealer stamps and he refused to work on it and also wouldn't release it for use on the road after looking over it. The brake discs were wafer thin, the pads down to the metal, and all the fluids looked as if they had never been changed, along with several other faults. It looked like for three years the dealers had been simply stamping his book and not doing any work at all, but still charging him. My mate wrote a report and got the officials involved (VOSA ? ) whilst the owner contacted a solicitor. It was a Peugeot BTW !

Skoda dealers are quite cheap for main dealers, all my mates with VW's, Audi's etc all got there to save a few quid and still keep their warranties. There's no reason they can't service a Pug.