Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car got hit from behind - What to do next?

Discussion in 'Motoring Forum' started by chenga, Nov 4, 2010.

1. chenga

chenga Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Tonight my car got hit from behind while I was at a traffic light with my mate. The lights went green and the car in front of me had just started to move. Next thing I know is my some idiot has hit me. The driver said that he stalled but that was a lie as he had an automatic and why would he go forward when I haven't even moved yet? All I can see for now is that the paint on my rear bumper has wrinkled up but no cracks. The other driver has his grill push back.

I got his details and he said that he works for Mercedes and they can fix it. My bumper had been resprayed a couple of months ago and it was a very good job.

Should I let Mercedes do it or make him pay the cost for someone I know will do a good job.
  2. kempez

kempez Active Member

Ratings:
    +284
    Get him to get it done on the understanding that he'll have to pay again if it's a bad job?
  3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    If you're totally confident that it's cosmetic damage, I'd be happy for him to get it sorted, as I hate insurance companies and it doesn't make sense for them to get involved if it's not needed.
    He'll probably lose his no claims and I read recently that you might have your premium jacked up too, even if you're not at fault (thieving swine :mad:).

But then, you'd be surprised at what little can make a car dangerous/write it off these days and if you've any doubt, you might be wise to go through the proper route.
  4. chenga

chenga Member

Ratings:
    +22
    As far as I can see it's just paint. I will check tomorrow to see if anymore damage has been done.

I think I'll let him get it done as the one who resprayed my bumper is all the way in Essex but before I let him do it he'll have to agree to get it done again if it's a bad job.

Thanks guys.
  5. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,710

Get it done properly.....I was hit from behind a few weeks ago,and initially the damage looked minimal,but after being looked at,the paint on the bumper was cracked and the bill will be in excess of £800.

Make sure it's fully assessed first.
  6. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,763
    There may be no visible damage, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't damage to the various impact-absorbing structures/frames behind/underneath.

TBH, I'd insist on an insurance job.
    You dictate where the car goes for a repair, not him.
    You're also entitled to hire a car similar to the one you drive for the duration of the repair.
  7. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,732
    I'd have the car inspected properly first...we've had cars in that looked fine just by looking at the bumper but once removed you saw that the boot floor had been creased.
  8. hdsport

hdsport Member

Ratings:
    +234
    Yep would agree, for a start you are technically in breach of the T&Cs if you don't report it to your insurance company.

Working in the industry there are countless claims where the fault party have said they'll pay for the damage initially but never actually do. Use your insurance (you've paid for it after all) if the third party are genuine they can still settle the costs themselves with your insurance company.
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  9. chenga

chenga Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Thinking about it, going through his insurance is probably the best idea. Can I choose where it is done if I do this?
    As the other driver was driving a company car, I don't think that he's got anything to lose really.

I had a better look and there is also a dent on the boot and paint has cracked. Can't see anymore damage at the moment.
  10. kempez

kempez Active Member

Ratings:
    +284
    In that case, get it assessed. Take your own pictures is a good idea I've found.

Give your insurers his details, pay your excess and get a quote from a recommended garage - your insurer will help with who that is :)
  11. hdsport

hdsport Member

Ratings:
    +234
    Yes although if you have some sort of temporary replacement car cover it might only be guaranteed if you use one of your insurance company's recommended repairers.
  12. chenga

chenga Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks everybody.
    I'm going to go through the insurance and choose where it is done as I know they are very good and I don't need a temporary car.
  13. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,763
    The OP's insurance has nothing to do with it.
    As the innocent party, he can choose where it goes and get a temporary car regardless of whether his own policy would allow it or not.
  14. Kebabhead

Kebabhead Active Member

Ratings:
    +509
    Liability has to be established first by the insurance companies
  15. FZR400RRSP

Ratings:
    +4,763
    The OP has said he was rear-ended.
    Have you heard of a rear end shunt where the person in front has been found liable?
  16. hdsport

hdsport Member

Ratings:
    +234
    true but his insurance aren't obliged to pay for it so he's left with getting one himself or using credit hire. Unless the other insurance company admit liability/deal on a without prejudice basis and offer to provide one.

People argue all sorts of things, e.g. the person in front rolled back into me etc. or even deny involvement.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010