Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't record video from Sony Bravia.

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Pheonix, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Pheonix

Pheonix Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This is my first post for ages, hope it's in the right section. I have a Sony Bravia 32" TV, with built in freeview. Coupled up to a Hitachi DV-PF2E(UK) DVD player with built in Video recorder. But I can't record any of the freeview programs. I have checked the connections and read the instruction book about Fourteen times (slight exaggeration) but still cant fathom it. Seems to only record the analogue channels. Can anyone help?:(
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,104
    You need too route your freeview box via the DVD recorder to the TV. Freeview box TV scart to DVD recorder vcr scart. DVD recorder TV scart to TV. Use the DVD recorder remote source button to switch between watching freeview and the dvd recorder output
  3. LV426

LV426 Administrator

Ratings:
    +3,159
    Hasn't got a Freeview box; Freeview tuner is in the TV.

In order to record a Freeview programme you need to feed the recorder with a Freeview signal. It (presumably) doesn't have its own Freeview tuner inside, so you will need to EITHER
    - use the tuner in the TV to feed it. For this, the TV will have to be on (or partly on) and tuned to the programme you intend to record, and the TV's OUTput will have to be connected to the INput of the recorder, and the recorder set to record from that input - and note that the TV's tuner is in use to supply the signal, so you can't use it for anything else at the same time
    OR
    - get a separate Freeview set top box to feed the recorder, so freeing up the receiver in the TV for you to watch a different programme (say)
    OR
    - get a new recorder with its own Freeview tuner inside. This is going to be the most expensive but by far the most convenient approach.
  4. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    The OP doesn't mention or say that he has a separate Freeview box but wants to record from the Freeview tuner in the TV.
    AFAIK one of the SCARTs on the TV will output whatever the TV is tuned to - this is where the user manual should explain.
    He will only be able to record whatever the TV is tuned to which, of course, must be switched on for any recordings to be made.
    Apologies if I have misunderstood either of the posts
  5. Pheonix

Pheonix Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Many thanks for replies, I dont have a separate freeview box, freeview is built in to the TV. There are Two Scart leads in the back of the DVD/ VCR. and Two in the back of Sony Bravia TV. I have tried changing them this way and that, I am sure they are connected as per the book. So it seems I need a different DVD/VCR. one with built in freeview tuner just like the one in the TV. Is this right? If so can I get one from any electrickery outfit? or are they a special unit? thank you.
  6. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    i SUSPECT THE PROBLEM IS THAT YOU HAVE NOT TOLD THE sorry caps VCR to record from its SCART input. When you record analogue you are probably using the VCRs own tuner.

I can do this by toggling down through analogue channels on the VCR remote 5/4/3/2/1/ and then the next one says "E1" and records the SCART input. You may need to do something different.

I just :rtfm: . See P17:
    EXTERNAL INPUT MODE
    To receive the signal from an external input (decoder, video
    camera, another VCR etc.), connect to the AV2 (DECODER)
    socket, and press the CH Buttons (o/p) or enter “002” with
    the Number Buttons to show “AV2” on the TV screen.
    If you use the AV1 (TV) socket, press CH Buttons (o/p) or
    enter “001” with the Number Buttons to appear “AV1” on the
    TV screen.
    If you use the front AUDIO/VIDEO In Jacks, press the CH
    Buttons (o/p) or enter “003” with number button to show
    “AV3” on the TV screen.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  7. fernandez

fernandez Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,039
    For maximum convenience follow the suggestions by LV426

"- get a separate Freeview set top box to feed the recorder, so freeing up the receiver in the TV for you to watch a different programme (say)
    OR
    - get a new recorder with its own Freeview tuner inside. This is going to be the most expensive but by far the most convenient approach."

Most DVD recorders now have a Freeview tuner - even supermarket models.

To continue with what you have, as I said earlier the TV will output what it's showing on one of it's SCART sockets BUT as scribbler 101 correctly points out you will have to set your recorder to record from AV1 (or whatever your machine calls it) as it is an *external* source whereas the tuner in the recorder is ot's own *internal* source

Found these

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...oblem-recording-tv-shows-using-vcr-timer.html

sony bravia TV how to record from built ...YYY

Sony RDR-HX900 & Freeview channels - Satellite TV support forum & Digital TV support forum.