Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot enable 7.1 LPCM over HDMI with Geforce 9300

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by roostaar, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    You cannot bitstream Dolby True HD or DTS HD soundtracks using the 8200/8300, 9300/9400 connections as they require a Protected Audio Path - which is not currently supported with these (in driver/player terms).

Only the Xonar and Auzentech have the required (proprietary) implementation of PAP - with the Xonar tied to a special build of TMT, and the Auzentech tied to PDVD (when it ships)
  2. roostaar

roostaar Member

Ratings:
    +8
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    :D:D:D:D
    :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Thanks to everyone who helped me here! Drinks all round! Here's to you and this great forum!

Roostaar :smashin:
  3. Digicon

Digicon Active Member

Ratings:
    +304
    You will require the ATI realtek HDMI audio Driver for 5.1/7.1 LPCM the one that sparky1 posted below.

And where in that sentence do i mention that any of those mGPU's or Graphics cards can bitstream Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD i dont as a matter of fact, OK i may not have been clear but all those mentioned can bitstream either Dolby Digital or DTS in 5.1 or 6.1 formats
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. roostaar

roostaar Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Just thought I had better credit you too here.

You were working from shoddy info from my bad memory, but the HDMI passing audio through to the TV was indeed the problem, just it was a setting in the AV amp that was allowing this to happen.

Cheers m8
    :D
  5. roostaar

roostaar Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Have you checked wilfy's suggestion that the audio is not passing through to TV and thus the HTPC only sees it as 2.0 audio capable.

It was the problem with my Sony AV amp.
  6. Digicon

Digicon Active Member

Ratings:
    +304
    No Problem roostaar glad your all sorted now M8:)
  7. sparky1

sparky1 Member

Ratings:
    +34
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

wehay glad you got it sorted roostaar,

bit of an anti climax now tho, be sorry to see the end of this thread just as it was getting exciting :rotfl::rotfl:
  8. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal Active Member

Ratings:
    +703
    It was your mention of bitstreaming 7.1 formats that made me assume you meant True HD or DTS HD - I didn't think that legacy DD or DTS could do 7.1 - just 5.1 (and possibly 6.1) - and multichannel PCM tracks aren't really "bitstreamed" in the accepted sense are they?
  9. mrbig1225

mrbig1225 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone :thumbsup: I have followed this topic for quite some time, so I decided to register and give my input on the subject. 1st and foremost I am a system builder/product tester for a local gaming computer company. All of the HTPC that we sale use gigabyte GIGABYTE GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard…we believe it is simply the best option available at this time. As for as uncompressed audio and Dolby True HD and DTS-Master HD sound…In my opinion there is absolutely no difference. Now it could be the type of equipment that we use to test it with, we do use separates at our Facility. To test we use a standalone blu-ray player that is able to send audio codec's via bit stream, to our seperates. We watch the movie and take notes, then we follow the same procedure for our media center pc's. Once again folk the evidence speaks for itself, I'm not saying that True HD and Master HD isn't something good, but at this time in my opinion you are not loosing anything if you have a system that is capable of running uncompressed audio.:oops:
  10. lone ranger

lone ranger Member

Ratings:
    +37
    this is the thread ever and has solved a problem i was no doubt going to encounter very soon with my new build,glad wilfy entered the frey cos i have the 5300 amp and would have been stumped..
    Great effort all, where would we be without this place..:D
  11. derek-w

derek-w Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still having the same "stereo only" problem on HDMI.

I've been looking for the last 3 days for an answer. PLEASE HELP!!!

I have a geforce 9500gs hdmi out (with the newest drivers)

a Realtek ALC 888S (with the newest realtek drivers)

the sound card is integrated on a Asus IPIBL-LB motherboard

i'm running it with 1.3 hdmi cable to a onkyo 7.1 surround sound system.

the pc is detecting the onkyo so i know it's not bypassing my surround sound and seeing my tv.

i tried every way to get it to work, took out all the drivers tried different drivers....tried the geforce HDMI audio drivers (that did nothing at all!!!)

there is no HDMI audio device in my device manager

my surround sound seems to be setup correctly but it's just getting 2 channel PCM from the pc over hdmi

when i tried to change the settings it just gives me "stereo" no 5.1 or 7.1

PLEASE HELP!!!
  12. jameson_uk

jameson_uk Active Member

Ratings:
    +580
    The reason is that you can not get LPCM using this card Only the onboard NVidia cards give you that over HDMI. If your card does output any audio over HDMI thi will be just adding the SPDIF audio stream from your soundcard to the HDMI video stream. SPDIF is only capable of carrying either a stereo signal or a DD/DTS bitstream. It can not cope with any of the newer HD audio formats.
    If your card does add your SPDIF output to the HDMI then somwhere (depends on how you are playing back video) you need to set the output to SPDIF and to pass DD/DTS bitstreams out as bitstreams and not decode them to stereo
  13. derek-w

derek-w Member

Ratings:
    +0
    that's what i'm trying to do, the realtek audio does attach internally to the geforce card so i can get HDMI video and HD audio.....but it's not giving me an option to change it to 5.1 or 7.1 just stereo...there must be a way to get the options for the other audio channels so i can get 7.1 out of the pc
  14. kjoy064

kjoy064 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say thank you to all invloved.... i ahve spent the last couple of days nearly full tim in front of a htpc trying to figure out why the hell and what the eff was happening.

all to come down to my stupid fault with passing audio from htpc through amp to tv... just a simple straight to amp does the trick...

thanks heaps...