Cannot enable 7.1 LPCM over HDMI with Geforce 9300

roostaar

Established Member
Reaction score
I have the MSI P7NGM Digital mobo with Geforce 9300 and Nvidia PureVideo HD.

It is supposed to output 7.1 LPCM over HDMI.

The only setting I have in Vista control panel/sound is 'Stereo'

How can I enable 7.1??

My new Sony STR-DA2400ES is desperate to find out!!! ;)

i have the same damn trouble with my ati 4670 it only shows stereo it worked once then when i rebooted gone.
it was ok with xp MCE ?

i have the same damn trouble with my ati 4670 it only shows stereo it worked once then when i rebooted gone.
it was ok with xp MCE ?

You had 7.1 LPCM over HDMI in XP?

Did you 'upgrade' to Vista and now it's broken?

I am at a loss here. Vista just will not acknowledge the onboard sound as 7.1 capable.

If XP will help me here, I will definitely 'downgrade' to XP!

:mad:

I have the MSI P7NGM Digital mobo with Geforce 9300 and Nvidia PureVideo HD.

It is supposed to output 7.1 LPCM over HDMI.

The only setting I have in Vista control panel/sound is 'Stereo'

How can I enable 7.1??

My new Sony STR-DA2400ES is desperate to find out!!! ;)

I had that issue until I installed the drivers that shipped with my motherboard rather than the latest nVidia ones from their website.

I have just done a clean install of XP MCE 2005 SP3 on another Hard Drive and installed drivers from the installation CD.

I have exactly the same problem.

I can now choose 5.1 speakers as an option within Sound Control Panel but the AV receiver still says 2.1 LPCM.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

From XP MCE, 'Set Up Speakers' menu, if I choose 5.1 speakers and hit 'Test' I get

'Decoder Error. The video decoder has malfunctioned or is not installed. Please restart MCE and/or computer.'

Still :confused:

Ah - sorry - hadn't realised you were running XP. I'm running Vista.

Ah - sorry - hadn't realised you were running XP. I'm running Vista.

I AM running Vista, as first post states. :)

I have since tried an XP install on a separate drive to see if I can find a workaround. :suicide:

I am back on Vista drive now.

XP or Vista, they both only allow 2.0 over my HDMI.

I need 7.1 LPCM!!!!

:lease:

When I set-up my 9400 based system, I installed the drivers from the nVidia site bundled for my motherboard and Windows update did the rest. HOWEVER this left me with 2.0 Stereo HDMI audio only.

I had to specifically install the nVidia HD audio drivers separately (from my install CD, though they are also available on the nVidia site - though may take a bit of looking for) before I could get 5.1 to work (I don't have a 7.1 speaker set-up)

have you installed the HD driver ? sorry if it sounds obvious but i hadnt realised when i done mine.

also is it enabled in the BIOS under intergrated peripherals

9Down.COM - Download Realtek High-Definition Audio Driver 2.14

I have installed both the driver that comes with the mobo, and I have just tried the driver you suggested.

These both seem to talk about a RealTek Audio device which seems to be the Analogue 5.1 outputs and SPDIF output, not the HDMI.

Both Audio devices are enabled in BIOS.

In Vista Sound Control Panel, I have 2 devices; NVidia HDMI and RealTek.

If I select the RealTek, I hear nothing. The HDMI outputs 2.0 only.

I have tried all the relevant drivers suggested here but still no dice.
:(

Maybe these pics will help someone help me?

I appreciate the replies chaps, I won't give up on this!!

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 456
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 500
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 490
WHOA! slow down on akll the installs first off the realtek driver that sparky1 posted is for the ATI series of graphics cards only and not the Nvidia GPU 9300/9400 do not install that at all.

i have the Asus board with the GPU 9300 and my HDMI works fine even with the Nvidia direct install drivers.

First off get the Nvidia HDMI driver HERE this is the vista 32bit driver that will give you the 5.1/7.1 option.

Then make sure you install the latest Nvidia graphics driver HERE once again this is the vista 32bit driver.

i would also recommend that you uninstall the graphics and audio drivers you have installed then reboot and install the new ones.

Hopefully this should fix it.

Yes - the Realtek HD Audio drivers are for the SPDIF/Analogue audio device, which is entirely separate to the nVidia HDMI audio device which has a separate driver. There are Realtek HDMI Audio drivers as well - but these are for ATI cards with HDMI Audio - not nVidia.

AIUI nothing labelled Realtek will have anything to do with nVidia on-board HDMI Audio - only nVidia drivers will do anything.

The native sound for HDMI is bitstream but correct me if I'm wrong!

The best way would be to use analogue output 5.1/7.1 for LPCM, thats what I'm doing anyway.

The best way would be to use analogue output 5.1/7.1 for LPCM, thats what I'm doing anyway.

Correct in a sense but the Nvidia mGPU 8200/8300 and 9300/9400 are all capable of sending either 5.1/7.1 bitstream via HDMI as well as 5.1/7.1 LPCM via HDMI as long as you have an HDMI 1.2 or above amp then the HDMI connection is all that is required for all sound formats no other connection is needed.

There are three ways that HDMI can routinely carry audio :

1. SPDIF over HDMI - PCM2.0 / DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1 Bitstream
2. Multichannel PCM
3. Bitstream Dolby True HD / DTS HD

1. Is supported by nVidia graphics cards and ATI HD 3200 on-board graphics and is the lowest quality.

2. Is supported by nVidia 8200/8300/9300 & 9400 on-board graphics and ATI 4xxx series graphics. This is lossless for 48kHz/16bit audio but Windows downsamples higher sampling rates or bit depths to 48k/16bit.

3. Bitstreamed True HD and DTS HD requires an HDMI1.3 sound card like an Auzentech or a Xonar 1.3 - but potentially offers the highest quality - though it also requires a True HD / DTS HD compatible amplifier - as the bitstreamed audio is decoded in the amp.

5.1 or 7.1 multichannel PCM via HDMI may offer higher quality audio - as the DACs in most AV amps are likely to be higher quality than those of on-board DACs and output amps. Other sound cards may be better.

WHOA! slow down on all the installs first off the realtek driver that sparky1 posted is for the ATI series of graphics cards only and not the Nvidia GPU 9300/9400 do not install that at all.

sorry about that i must have read the manual wrong mate i thought it had Realtek® ALC888
so the driver i linked -
supports all Realtek High-Definition audio chipsets. It is used as onboard sound on many motherboards. Chips covered include ALC260, ALC262, ALC268, ALC662, ALC861, ALC861-VD-GR, ALC880, ALC882, ALC883, ALC885, ALC888, ALC888S, ALC880T. :rolleyes::suicide:

hope you get it sorted it must be driving you nuts by now, i know it would me.

I have an HDMI output on my daughter board but I haven't got an AV amp with HDMI input, so I have to go down the analogue route for now. :rolleyes:

Yes - the Realtek HD Audio drivers are for the SPDIF/Analogue audio device, which is entirely separate to the nVidia HDMI audio device which has a separate driver. There are Realtek HDMI Audio drivers as well - but these are for ATI cards with HDMI Audio - not nVidia.

AIUI nothing labelled Realtek will have anything to do with nVidia on-board HDMI Audio - only nVidia drivers will do anything.

Understood, that makes sense.

WHOA! slow down on akll the installs first off the realtek driver that sparky1 posted is for the ATI series of graphics cards only and not the Nvidia GPU 9300/9400 do not install that at all.

i have the Asus board with the GPU 9300 and my HDMI works fine even with the Nvidia direct install drivers.

First off get the Nvidia HDMI driver HERE this is the vista 32bit driver that will give you the 5.1/7.1 option.

Then make sure you install the latest Nvidia graphics driver HERE once again this is the vista 32bit driver.

i would also recommend that you uninstall the graphics and audio drivers you have installed then reboot and install the new ones.

Hopefully this should fix it.

hanks so much for your reply.

I already have those drivers and have tried installing them a few times with no luck so far.

Did you see my screenshots I posted?

Do you have more options in Vista Control Panel that just 'Stereo'?

Also, when I uninstall Audio driver, I am told to reboot, then Vista automatically installs a driver upon reboot, even though I selected 'delete driver' when I uninstalled.

sorry about that i must have read the manual wrong mate i thought it had Realtek® ALC888
so the driver i linked -
supports all Realtek High-Definition audio chipsets. It is used as onboard sound on many motherboards. Chips covered include ALC260, ALC262, ALC268, ALC662, ALC861, ALC861-VD-GR, ALC880, ALC882, ALC883, ALC885, ALC888, ALC888S, ALC880T. :rolleyes::suicide:

hope you get it sorted it must be driving you nuts by now, i know it would me.

No worries m8, thanks for trying!
:D

hanks so much for your reply.

I already have those drivers and have tried installing them a few times with no luck so far.

Did you see my screenshots I posted?

Do you have more options in Vista Control Panel that just 'Stereo'?

Also, when I uninstall Audio driver, I am told to reboot, then Vista automatically installs a driver upon reboot, even though I selected 'delete driver' when I uninstalled.

Even though you uninstall the Nvidia drivers and then vista auto installs the old one just carry on and install the new one you will be fine.

As for the screenshots i did see them but you need to open up Nvidia control panel and see what the HDMI is connected to ie: My shows a littlw TV screen and underneath says Denon AV-Amp because the HDMI has detected my Denon 3808 if yours does not say sony then this is why it is only giving you the 2 channel option as the HDMI is not detecting your AV amp.

Even though you uninstall the Nvidia drivers and then vista auto installs the old one just carry on and install the new one you will be fine.

As for the screenshots i did see them but you need to open up Nvidia control panel and see what the HDMI is connected to ie: My shows a littlw TV screen and underneath says Denon AV-Amp because the HDMI has detected my Denon 3808 if yours does not say sony then this is why it is only giving you the 2 channel option as the HDMI is not detecting your AV amp.

Ah-ha. This sounds more promising.

I'm not at home now but I do remember seeing 'Panasonic TV' in there somewhere when I connected direct to TV.

It's in the nVidia Video control panel right?

Perhaps this is an issue with my AV receiver and not the mobo at all?

Can't wait to finish work now!
:thumbsup:

Ah-ha. This sounds more promising.

I'm not at home now but I do remember seeing 'Panasonic TV' in there somewhere when I connected direct to TV.

It's in the nVidia Video control panel right?

Perhaps this is an issue with my AV receiver and not the mobo at all?

Can't wait to finish work now!
:thumbsup:

That is definately the problem the HDMI on the 9300 is somehow bypassing your sony 2400 and is finding the Panasonic TV which as you know only supports 2 channel. Found the problem at last:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom