Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you use a loft digital TV aerial for a DAB feed?

Discussion in 'DAB Digital Radio & FM Radio' started by Sheff, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Sheff

Sheff Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hope this is in the right forum, please forgive the noob if it isn't!!:)

I have a loft aerial for digital tv that I no longer use since I've got Sky.

I've got a DAB radio with a built in aerial but it gets a pretty limited signal so I've been thinking about getting a rooftop DAB aerial to try to get better recption on a wider range of stations

Before I do that though I thought it would be worth asking if my digital tv aerial would receive DAB signals as well?
  2. sennen

sennen Member

Ratings:
    +8
    It might do if it is a wideband aerial and is pointed in the direction of your local DAB transmitter, and you don't use frequency-limiting boosters/amplifiers (e.g. a masthead amplifier that filters for UHF only).

It worked in my case - taking me from a variable 60%-ish quality with the dangly wire to 100% on all stations.

Have you tried plugging your existing TV loft aerial into your DAB radio?
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,117
    The answer is not very well DAB is VHF band 3 (an old 405 line ITV aerial will work fine as VHF band 111 was used for this) with the active element at around 2 ft long, UHF TV aerials are designed for the much higher frequencies of the UHF band with the active element (half wavelength) of around 6"