Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you transport LCD flat in a car?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by 1ofaKind, Sep 26, 2008.

1. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

Just wanted to know if people have transported LCD TV's (in their box) flat?

Surely if it's in the manufacturers box it should be ok?

I know with plasma you aren't mean't to lay it flat (but when my friend 1st got one we had to lie it flat to fit the brackets ertc).

Also is it important to keep the packaging - as generally for TV's it's so big you bin it anyway (isn't that why you have on site warranty - I assume this is what the D&G warranties are?)

Cheers
  2. Damian123

Damian123 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I work in an electrical store and we have LCD's delivered on pallets lay flat by the manufacturer. I've never heard of any problems with people laying LCD's flat in a car to get them home, and we sell alot of TV's.
  3. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that - I was thinking that it might be okay as all the LCD Moniitors we've had delivered including 30" DELL are never standing upright (until its in the office) - delivery drivers generally have em flat in the wagon.
  4. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +414
    I thought the only reason why it wasn't a good idea to lay a panel TV flat was just in case someone accidentally stands on it.
  5. youngsyp

youngsyp Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    There was some conjecture, a while back, that lying an LCD panel down, could cause clouding or the muira effect. I didn't ever see any proof of this though.
    Also, it was said that if you lay the panel face down, you ran the risk of cracking the LCD panel due to the weight of the glass. Again, I didn't see any evidence of it but, it is quite easy to envisage that being the case, unde certain circumstances...

I guess the key thing to do is not to shift the panel round at all, and have it subjected to knocks and impacts.

Just be careful with it and I'm sure it'll be fine.

Paul
  6. 961

961 Active Member

Ratings:
    +670
    Yes, it's ok to transport LCD flat (BUT NOT PLASMA!)

So far as the packaging is concerned, please keep it. If it ever needs to go back for service and you ain't got it then you'll be advised that transport is at your risk and it will be suggested you buy a new packing set from the manufacturer at megabucks
  7. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Well the store have advised I don't tilt or flat the TV.

Trouble is as I'm not finding I can't seem to hire a van as they all want some form of photo ID which I don't have - yes I'm in my 30's and never had a passport and my driving license is old school.

So looks like I will pickup the smaller TV and have to get the other shipped :(
  8. youngsyp

youngsyp Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    What TV(s) is it ? And what car are you transporting them in ?

For info, a couple of years ago I managed to get a Sony 40W2000, upright, behind the front seats in a Honda Civic (3 door). I just needed to remove th top section of the box.

Paul
  9. ziffius

ziffius Active Member

Ratings:
    +303
    You shouldn't really bin a box anyway. You can often see an empty 52" TV box outside a house, and so can burglars. Advertising to burglars you've brought a brand new expensive TV for them to flog down the pub isn't the wisest thing to do.
  10. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind Member

Ratings:
    +4
    It's a new shape mondeo hatch. I'm due to collect 2 TV's

A 40" & a 52". I know if I lay the 52" flat I can fit the 40" upright next to it. I could use a focus estate which is 80cm high floor to roof but the 52" is 104cm high upright.

I could just pickup the 40 and get the 52" couried but you know how it is with new toys etc.
  11. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS Member

Ratings:
    +241

How far is it!?!?... couldn't you make 2 trips!?... you could be REALLY risky and take both of them out the box, flatpack the boxes and fit them in that way? 40 in the front and the 50 in the back perhaps!?...

This is like the crystal maze! i'm morbidly interested in how this pans out!! hehe

:clap:
  12. 1ofaKind

1ofaKind Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Heh,

I'm borrowing my sisters Scenic now and taking all the seats out. Might have to tilt the big one slightly - don't want to mess about with the risk. And it's a nice 2hour 100 odd mile journey so not just round the corner :)
  13. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS Member

Ratings:
    +241
    I love it when a plan comes together!!
  14. welshdoc

welshdoc Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Excuse my ignorance, but why can't you transport a plasma flat?
  15. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS Member

Ratings:
    +241
    I've laid plenty flat before. I think this rumor probably comes from one of those large retailers, like "the gas will fall out the back" and "you need to get them regassed after a few years".

Having said that..... Plasmas ARE made from glass and if you speak to any glazier or window installer they'll probably tell you that you should never PICK UP a sheet of glass when its flat because there's a strong chance of you 'twisting' it and therefore breaking it. thats why you should be MORE careful when laying PDP's down flat rather than LCD's

:lesson:
  16. 961

961 Active Member

Ratings:
    +670
    Plasma panels are constructed in a different manner to lcd. They are a lot heavier and if laid flat the weight of the panel can crack the glass at which point the destination changes to the recycling depot

If you read the manuals and look at the boxes you will be urged to ensure that plasma screens are kept upright at all times