Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Smart TVs stream from a NAS?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by carefactornil, May 5, 2012.

1. carefactornil

carefactornil Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Went shopping for a Smart TV in John Lewis today.

The tech guys there seemed quite knowledgable and basically talked me out of buying a TV, but I want to confirm if what they said was true.

The big plus for me with Smart TV is that it will be my media player, i.e. photos, music and videos.

But all that stuff is on my Netgear Stora NAS, connected by Ethernet to my router. Ideally I'd want to link the TV by Ethernet to the router too, rather than wireless.

But JL were saying that the Smart TVs (latest Samsungs, etc) could only stream off a PC and not a NAS because the systems need some software running on a PC to stream and the NAS can't do that.
    Whilst I have a PC that tends to stay on, because that's wireless attached to the router, I'd prefer not to rely on that for the whole solution.

My other concern is that even if a NAS worked, that's fine for photos but what about audio? I won't use the audio on the TV, have an amp & surround sound. What would make the TV chose the Amp as the sound output?

Finally, the JL guys suggested that perhaps rather than a Smart TV, I go for a PS3 or Western Digital device. Is that the better option, and if so which of those would you recommend?

Cheers!
  2. MrLOL

MrLOL Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Hmm

The Netgear Stora NAS has a DLNA server on it

I don't see how the DLNA server application running from the Netgears onboard OS (presumably some form of linux of unix) is any different than a DLNA server application running from your windows PC.

I guess if you had a NAS that didn't have a DLNA server, and just served out files then he would have a point. But more NAS boxes have a DLNA server than don't

Interested to hear other peoples experiences on this one. I have a QNAP 4 bay RAID 5 nas and will be purchasing a 2012 Panasonic Smart TV next week. I'll let you know how i get on if this thread doesnt get updated :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Geoflo

Geoflo Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I've found my new GT50 Panasonic to be a very capable DLNA front-end. It sees the Twonky server on my QNAP NAS as well as the Logitech Media Center and Serviio servers on my PC/Mac/Linux boxes. Also the TV is 'discoverable' by phone apps like PlugPlayer and TwonkyBeam meaning you can browse your NAS files and 'send' them to the TV.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Moviemadel

Moviemadel Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes is the answer. I have all my home video archived on a Qnap NAS Cat 5 wired to a Samsung Smart TV (6530 from memory) and my Pioneer LX82/JVC DLA 950 home cinema and both work well all being DLNA.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Gramuk

Gramuk Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Guys, I have a Synology Diskstation DS211J with 2 TB drives in there and can confirm that the streaming to my GT30 is awesome via the Vierra cast. I have a "video" folder on the NAS and also "Photo's" and "MP3" etc etc and the Panasonic just streams them effortlessly. Before the GT30 I used to stream via my XBox but XBox UI is rubbish compared to the Vierra cast. Everything in the house is CAT6 cabled (not a fan or wireless) so speeds are incredible. No losses / buffering etc. Even the kids access thier movies / photo's from the NAS. My eldest who is 8 yrs streams his video's from his Android phone ! Well pleased with my setup. Just make sure the NAS is DNLA certified and you shouldn't go wrong.
  6. AndcB

AndcB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Using a ReadyNas duo with DLNA networked to my Samsung TV we have no trouble playing movies from the NAS. To get sound to your surround system you will need the TV to have an Optical out port and the surround system to have an optical in port.
  7. Trollslayer

Trollslayer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,733
    The whole point of DLNA is to join things together.
    As long as the NAS havea decnt DLNA server inside you can play files from it.
  8. Obi_Robz

Obi_Robz Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I have found certain DLNA combos to be a bit temperamental. I have a 2TB MyBookLive attached to my router on which I store movies, photos and my iTunes library. My current tv (Panasonic ST50) streams everything perfectly via DLNA, and I mean everything. But my previous 2 TVs "hated" the twonky server software on the NAS and refused to play MKV files at all. It was definitely a Twonky issue because my 2 Sammys had no problem at all playing these same files if I streamed them off the ASUS router's own USB drive, which was presumably running different server software.

So now I get strange little glitches. TV will play everything off the NAS but fast forwarding and rewinding is really sticky. But it's all fine with the ASUS drive. My Panasonic bluray player will not play anything but mp4 and m2ts off the NAS but WILL play anything if I connect via samba and not DLNA. My old LG bluray would play off both the ASUS drive and the NAS but would only pause or rewind on the ASUS drive, with the NAS it only managed play, stop and fast forward.

I have all these so called smart devices and I would like to give up my WDTV Live but it's the only device I can guarantee will play anything I throw at it flawlessly. Love the convenience though of the TV being able to stream 99% of my files via DLNA.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  9. HenryCow

HenryCow Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So videos can be streamed from Readynas Duo to Samsung TV through RJ45 ? Is it limited to some fileformats ? Is it possible for SONY TV too ? I wouldliketo buy a TV a would like to stream videos frommy ready nas duo. Thank you.:smashin:
  10. HughMartin

HughMartin Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Samsung smart TV which I have connected to my network which also has a Netgear NAS box connected. 90% of the time I have no problem playing stored videos from my NAS box it plays .avi .mv4 and .wmv files but won't play direct from .iso image files.

The only problem I have with my Samsung is that sometimes when I try and select the NAS box as a source on the TV, it is not listed as being connected. It just can't seem to find it. When this happens, I usually have to wait five minutes or so and , hey presto, it will suddenly appear as an available source. very irritating and I have yet to work out what is causing this problem.
  11. sylke74

sylke74 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've a QNAP nas. but how can i stream from it to my samsung smarttv?
    Do i have to install allshare on it? Because in the sources of my tv, i don't see the nas. I see my pc in network and in allshare.

can someone help me?

regards
    Sylvie