1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can PVR's record from an external input ?

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by apuckey, Mar 15, 2010.

1. apuckey

apuckey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I'm looking for advice & help !
    Last year I purchased a Humax Foxsat HD receiver, unfortunately I was stupid enough not to purchase the PVR model !

Hence, without spending £250 for the next PVR model - is there a PVR that can record from an external input - scart ?? as my freesat box has a 'VCR' scart socket.

For example can the Humax PVR-9150T or Humax PVR 9300TB record from an external input

any help appreciated
    regards
    Alan
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Welcome to the forum.

No.

No PVR is capable of recording from anything other than the aerial signal [ or according platform source signal i.e. Freeview, Satellite or cable ]

To record from external sources, a DVD Recorder is required.
  3. Geofbob

Geofbob Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Hi Alan - In his response, Gavtech probably meant to say DVD/HDD recorder - though theoretically a DVD recorder would suffice, in practice a recorder with a hard disc is far more flexible & satisfactory.

By the way, if you do get a DVD or DVD/HDD recorder, don't connect from the VCR Scart socket on the Humax but from the TV Scart to the input Scart (usually AV2) on the recorder, which will give you good quality RGB output - then from the recorder Scart out (usually AV1) to a Scart input on the TV.
  4. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Hi Geofbob.

I did actually mean the term I used, because I was using it in the all-encompassing sense, applying to all classes of DVD recorders... But it does no harm at all to clarify the distinction you have made... and to point out the emphatic superiority of an HDD equipped form of the beast.
  5. Geofbob

Geofbob Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Hi Gavtech - I thought it was worth emphasising, because those whose main intererest is in archiving to DVD sometimes overlook the merits of an HDD for intermediate storage & editing purposes. In fact, the OP in this thread, Alan, doesn't mention archiving & seems fully aware that what he needs is an HDD recorder of some sort.