1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can i use two routers in the same house at the same time?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by shoestring25, Oct 5, 2008.

1. shoestring25

shoestring25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +171
    can i use two routers in the same house at the same time? one upstairs and one downstairs.

i dont like using wireless find it very unstable connection and not as fast and dont want to runn unsightly cable from downstairs to upstairs.
  2. gaidin

gaidin Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    yes you can run two routers but the second router must have the dhcp disabled and forwarded to the ip address of the first router for the internet connection to work.
  3. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    If you mean on the same telephone line, the answer is no because you can only have one ADSL modem on that line at once.

If you find wireless unreliable, then have look at the Homeplug FAQ on these forums.
  4. olisun

olisun Member

Ratings:
    +76
    Both the routers should support WDS?
  5. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    That depends on how you use them.

Basically to use them other than as router, you 'downgrade' them to something else eg: an Ethernet switch, as Wireless Access Point, a Wireless bridge. If it was a so-called cable router you could still use it as a router but it would only buy you more complexity, as you would then have THREE networks to worry about: one WAN and two LANs..
  6. shoestring25

Ratings:
    +171
    im kind of confused now some yes and a no. i will state they would both be on the same telephone line
  7. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Member

Ratings:
    +54
    You cannot use two of them to connect to the internet simultaneously.

But you can set up the second router to connect via wireless to the first one and then distribute that signal via wired connection.
  8. Phnom_Penh

Phnom_Penh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    although, this all depends 100% on what routers you have!
  9. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +699
    I do something like that.
    The ADSL modem-based router (Linksys WAG54GS) has its LAN port connected via ethernet cables to my laptop docking bay, my desktop PC and into the WAN port of a Belkin F5D6230-4 router, the Belkin being a model that does not have a built in modem. Thwe Belking is purely used as a wireless AP - only one hardwired connection to it.
    The Belkin is set up via its admin menu as an AP (access point) and I use its wireless functionality to allow it to connect to my (Com One Phoenix) internet radio box; Reason for not using wireless link directly from the WAG54 is because that particular Linksys box is known to be unreliable for wireless - the WLAN ICs tend to stop functioning after about a year due to excess heat (poor thermal design) .
    If you do someting like that, it is wise to also set up WPA-PSK security as well (I do that and also have MAC address filtering on).
    This allows me to take the internet radio anywhere in the house.

So yes that is one example of a working configuration that uses 2 routers without any problems.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
  10. gaidin

gaidin Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an orange live box connected to the telephone line, then a zyxel homeplugav connected by Ethernet to the live box. I have a zyxel wireless homeplugav router upstairs with the dhcp disabled, I have the network connecting to the zyxel and the live box connected to the internet. Just configure vista to merge both networks and set the ip address to the livebox and voila, it works. I have 2 wireless networks which act as one and 100% wireless coverage.
  11. Phnom_Penh

Phnom_Penh Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry but :suicide: tbh
  12. beerhunter

beerhunter Member

Ratings:
    +759
    But as I said before, that means you have three networks to interconnect. Not a problem if you know what you are doing but most people 'downgrade' one of the routers to something else. (Plus of course, this is more commonly asked about two routers that have an ADSL modem as their upstream link.)
  13. Fe_man2000

Fe_man2000 Member

Ratings:
    +179
    I would consider getting a set of homeplugs and connecting the router downstairs to one and the other upstairs to avoid using wirless and get a stable connection. I do this as wireles is flooded in my area by a number of other wireless routers and videosenders resulting in terrible speeds and stability.

The upside to homeplugs is there dumb devices and require no configuration you just plug them in and they act like cable but using the powerlines in the wall.

Most of the replies here are talking about using one router as a router and the other connected wirelessly to that - but as the OP says the wireless is poor so it might not be worth the effort.

If you are talking about using the 2 routers indepenantly - both connected to the same phone line then the answer is you can but you can only use one at a time as the adsl will only accept one connection from one device. So you could use the upstairs one while the downstairs is turned off but this kinda defeats what I think you want to do. You cannot have both routers connected to a the same phoneline and connected to the internet at the same time.
  14. shoestring25

Ratings:
    +171
    I'm probably going to run cat 5 now as have to do the aerial system around the house as well so while im about it might as well put it a wired network about the house at the same time as the use the same cable runs and wall chases
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2008