1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I use my Sky card in a second box?

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by Emanef, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Emanef

Emanef Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I've got Sky Digital, and I'm thinking it would be handy to buy a second hand Digibox to have in another room. Would I be able to swap my card to the one in the second room when I want to record a program in there?
  2. squid

squid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i tried to use a card in a box that it was not maried to . basicaly some chans work some don't .

none of the beeb chans work . itv2 dos'nt , none of the film chans do . most if not all the others do itv ,chan4 ,5 and most of the multy chan pack .

i don't know about sky sports as i don't have em
  3. Starburst

Starburst Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    If your smartcard carries any premium channel content then it won't work in another digibox.
    If it only has for example the Family pack on it then for some reason SKY allow it to work in another box without a marriage ceremony so you'll get the channels you subscribe to and the FTV channels except for the BBC branded ones.
  4. Emanef

Emanef Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Typical Murdock.....!

You'd think if you're paying for it it wouldn't matter where you watch it; only one person can use a card at any one time!
  5. Geoffc10

Geoffc10 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What sky are trying to do, is stop you taking your card round to your mates house who didnt have that channel and watching for nothing. Its the same as having unlimited internet connection and lending your userid and password to your mate so he never has to pay!

Yes , it is not helpful if you have 2 digiboxes, but how are sky to know?
  6. Emanef

Emanef Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I see what you mean, but disagree that there's anything wrong with that. If I pay for a card, it can only be used on one machine at a time, and it should be up to me where I use it. If I take it round to a mate's house to watch something, it can't be used at home, or anywhere else at that time. Internet connection is different because multiple users can use if from a different place at the same time, but with a card neccessary, that's not possible with Sky.

ITV Digital allowed you to do that (I think....not sure, as I had a dodgy card!) It's like if I buy a videogame; it's up to me where I play it.
  7. Starburst

Starburst Member

Ratings:
    +1,037

All makes sense now.
    You are upset because you can not pirate SKY like you did with ITV Digital. If a smartcard could be used on any digibox then the main protection of Videoguard would be rendered useless and SKY D would be brought to it's knees like many other pay TV providers.
  8. Emanef

Emanef Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Not at all. Where in my post did I mention getting Sky for free? I've had and paid for the full Sky package plus Film Four for ages, and don't having any qualms about paying £43 a month for what I get with Sky. I wouldn't have paid for ITV Dig as it was such as poor quality service for what they charged in comparison with Sky and cable. This, plus an obscene amount of money they committed to the football league it what brought the service to its knees.....

I want to use my PC as a video recorder and don't really want to have to record the mono signal that comes through the Sky channel on the RF aerial through the signal booster/splitter. I've tried a videosender, and am not satisfied with the quality of that either.

All I wanted to do was buy a second receiver and have it connected, then just swap cards to upstairs when I want to record something, and obviously wouldn't be able to use that card downstairs at the same time.

Tell me what's wrong or dishonest about that?

.....and I thank you not to judge or make false assumptions......
  9. neiljones

neiljones Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Installing Sky + left me with an unused digi box.
    I now use this in the kitchenwith a free to air card supplied by BBC.
    As I had this set linked to the old sky digi box via an amplifier I can now get all my original Sky programmes in the kitchen without having to pay the extra £12 per month-the only loss is the d.d. sound + the ability to watch different programmes in the lounge and kitchen. No problem with that:)
  10. Starburst

Starburst Member

Ratings:
    +1,037

Ah diddums, have I upset the nasty pirate man?
    If you pirate one digital platform(As you admit you did) it's reasonable to assume you would do it to another given the chance.

The fact that SKY can't be hacked like ITV Digital and you are currently paying the subscription is irrelevant, no praise awarded for honesty when you have no choice in the matter.

On a more constructive note, why don't you just swap the boxes around each time you want to record on your PC or buy the "mirror" subscription. How about TIVO or SKY+ for hard drive recording?

All my suggestions cost money or are just plain awkward but alas SKY needs to make a profit and honest subscribers have to pay the price(£12 mirror) for past and current actions of pirates.
  11. Emanef

Emanef Member

Ratings:
    +13
    So you haven't got a single copied video, audio-cassette, cd or PC program anywhere in your house, and have never had such? Please.....I very much doubt it.....

I didn't post here for criticism, and it much be so nice to be so damn perfect.....

I've considered Tivo, but am not satisfied really with the quality, though a Tivo would be easier to move between rooms. I imagine Sky Plus would be more awkward for this as it'll need to be constantly disconnected/connected to the satellite cable, DD interconnect, as well as the normal scart, hence the original idea of having the second box next to the PC to connect to the video on on my graphics card. Did I at any point say I was not going to pay the £12 for the second card? I don't recall doing so; I was just asking if it was possible to use my other one and, if not, why (re my previous points).

I can see the emoticons for thumbs up and thumbs down......where the one with the loosely clenched fist to indicate ******......?
  12. Starburst

Starburst Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    You asked a question which I replied to with an accurate an answer as I could, not for my benefit but for yours.
    You can use a SKY smartcard in another digibox without remarrying it each time but there are limitations.

It was you that first bought up the fact you had used a pirated ITV D smartcard and I'm afraid I have a very low opinion of people who have pirated either analogue or digital television on any platform.
  13. Emanef

Emanef Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I notice you didn't comment on my first point. Shouldn't all piracy be regarded in the same light, so to frown on one type but not another.....does that not seem somewhat hypocritical?

I personally wouldn't be so rude as to condesend to someone who's opinions differ from mine, especially when I know absolutely nothing about them; you're making a judgement on me based on a on-line comment, which I find rather insulting. At no time in my original post did I ask for or invite criticism or abuse, so why give it? It's not in the slightest bit constructive, and just winds me up and results in the terse response I felt inclined to give. I appreciate the contructive assistance, but if people don't have anything helpful to add, just don't bother.....
  14. Starburst

Starburst Member

Ratings:
    +1,037
    No personal offence was intended.
    My first post was an attempt to answer your question and my later posts were coloured with my feelings towards the smartcard pirates that aflicted SKY analogue and later ON/ITV Digital.
    You see I do believe there is a difference between a multi-billion dollar film and record industry and a Pay TV service.

I'm not going to apologise for what I've said in regards to piracy and the SKY D smartcards because it's accurate but I will apologise to you in the hopes we can both enjoy this forum in the future.
  15. Emanef

Emanef Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I don't expect you to change your opinions - we'd all be pretty dull if we all the same - just to respect others' in the way you'd hope they'd expect yours, but thanks for the apology. I apologise also for the sharp reply.....!

I appreciate your points, though to refute that Mr Murdoch is in the same league as a number of the records co's would probably be insulting to the man himself.....though he's probably one of the biggest crooks of them all.....allegedly.....!
  16. frthomas

frthomas Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The fact you cannot use the card in another box is actually a "feature" of the security system.
    If you could create a perfect duplicate of the card, it would work only in your original decoder.

Now if you are a commercial pirate this is *very* annoying as it requires you either to modify you customer boxes (so that they become twins of the original one) or to customize every card you sell for your customer box.
    In any case it makes it much harder to distribute pirate cards.

Now some operators, like Dish in the US, have some discount if you have 2 boxes (or more) in the same home, but you get 2 cards, on for each box.

Fred