Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I put my amp on it's side?

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by yunti, Nov 9, 2008.

1. yunti

yunti Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not the ideal solution I know, but after renovating my place I'm very constrained for where I can actually store my AV Receiver.

So I'm thinking of placing it on it's side (ie so it's tall but not deep). After all my HTPC can go in either a tower case or a HTPC case so I presume I can put the amp on it's side too. (Current amp is the Onkyo TX-SR876)

Can any experts out there let me know if this is:

1) Safe (providing it's properly ventilated)
    2) Affects the quality of the amp (I presume I could get some additional vibrational damping feet to put on it's side)

Thanks for any replies. :)
  2. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,292

1. No. Not safe at all,fire hazard,etc..
    2. see 1.
  3. eaglemmoomin

eaglemmoomin Member

Ratings:
    +228
    There are lots of very very heavy parts in an AV amplifier that are not in a computer and they draw a lot more power and can get much much hotter. They are completely different pieces of kit. Its a really really really stupid idea. I can not stress how bad an idea this is. Please do not do it!! Buy a smaller amp or make the space.
  4. howardlr

howardlr Member

Ratings:
    +3
    No don't do it.
    It will over heat and possibly warp the PCB, which will cause you all sort of problems

regards

Lee
  5. tim_mk1

tim_mk1 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    as above,

the heat sinks on any components are placed on the top so when heat rises through the electronics its disipated into the sink then out to the atmosphere,

if the sink is not on the top - in this case it will be on the side, then the component will use its self as a heat sink - and eventually over heat. Amps and alike are top vented to disipate the heat from the sinks, if placed on their side heat will also collect in the amps body and will take longer to escape,

all in all not a good idea, unless an extreme amount of cooling is used, - im talking top spec PC water cooling etc...

tim,